Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Fox Vanilla forks

• 12-09-2010 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Folks, I was looking for some advice on the Fox Vanilla forks. I recently bought a second hand Marin Rocky Ridge and shortly after the purchase a horrendous creak started in the bike. I took it to the local bike shop and they advised me that it was the Fox Vanilla forks that were at fault saying that there was a crack in the tube that goes up into the frame of the bike. They then told me that it would cost £150 for a new upper assembly plus £30 for labour.

Now, I'm not a wealthy man and this is a hell of a lot of money for me tbh. I have looked on gumtree and ebay for other second hand forks and I've seen a set of Fox Talas forks on sale for £100 close to me. However, my concern is that anyone who has a set of high end forks like that is likely to be a pretty serious rider so therefore there's a good chance that anyone selling forks like these will have given them some punishment.

I don't know. Maybe I should just take it on the chin and pay the £180 to get the existing forks - I just want to avoid unnecessary expense but at the same time I don't want to throw good money after bad.

If anyone has any advice or insight into this I'd be extremely grateful for your help. I'm just not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

While you're waiting for an answer here, I'd advise you to post your query onto these MTB sites (in their Technical Talk sections):
    You'll get really good advice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You are right to be wary of buying second hand forks. Unless you know and trust the seller, they have probably been well ridden. Particularly fox as you say, they are so expensive people just get them serviced and keep riding them into the ground.

Having said that you can get lucky and get one almost brand new when someone is splitting up a bike they want to sell.

Otherwise, I would buy new rather than replace the steerer. Or perhaps talk to OC Tuning, they are authorized fox servicers and might do a better deal for repair, or have a good price on a new fork.

Advertisement