Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorways?

Options
  • 12-09-2010 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a nuvi 775t with numap lifetime, my question is when will all the new motorways in ireland be available to update as of yet there still not on any update ive tried. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Garmin's maps are supplied by Navteq, so Navteq are responsible for updating the mapping and providing it to Garmin. It takes Garmin quite a long time to subsequently make that mapping available to its customers, so typically, once a motorway has been opened, it can take anything up to a year to have those changes reflected in the latest Garmin maps.

I'm not debating the merits or otherwise of this system, just explaining how it works. You would imagine in this day and age that updated mapping shouldn't take a year or more to reach the consumer, but that's just the way it is.

OpenStreetMaps are created by an enthusiastic non-commercial community, and as such updates tend to be significantly more frequent. So you could as an alternative investigate uploading OSM maps to your device. Not all areas of Ireland are up to date, or have detailed mapping available (but that's where you come in!).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

I have a Tom Tom go720 and was wondering the same thing how long does it take for tom-tom to update their maps

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tom Tom release new maps every 3 months.
    Can you tell me what you are missing and what map version you have?

I amnt sure how do I find the version of maps I have

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On the normal view screen press the bottom right where the signal strenght is shown.
    On the Status summary screen press bottom right where is says
    Version 8.xxx.
    The following screen will display all information about the device & maps installed.

• Advertisement

The version is 8.351

That is the application software version which is the last release.
    What is the map version it will be displayed after map name in the format v 8xx.xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I have a Nokia 5800 with free mapping using Ovi. Maps are provided by Navteq who I understand Nokia brought out not so long ago. Checking Ovi maps they still haven't updated for the M8 being completed and bypassing Abbeyleix. Useless to say the least.

Here is the M8 as it is on latest TomTom map Europe v855.2923
    130714.bmp

i think its map:western_europe'v715.1703

• Advertisement

Very old indeed.
    The latest version is 855.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

basill wrote: »
    I have a Nokia 5800 with free mapping using Ovi. Maps are provided by Navteq who I understand Nokia brought out not so long ago. Checking Ovi maps they still haven't updated for the M8 being completed and bypassing Abbeyleix. Useless to say the least.

That opened about 5 months ago - there's far older schemes not available!

Also, you may need to use the map updater in Ovi Suite if other stuff is clearly ancient. I've not got around to doing it to mine yet, the POIs are from a different era on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Nope my maps are updated all the time, phone is synched continually to Ovi etc.

Point is that when you go onto the Ovi website and check THEIR maps online they still haven't updated for motorways plus I am sure lots else besides. Try doing an itinerary from Dublin to Cork and it will still take you through Abbeyleix. It really is poor in this day and age to be so far behind.

Advertisement