Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with children with special needs,FETAC level 5

• 12-09-2010 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey all.

I'm thinking about starting the above course next month.I currently work in the IFSC for a bank,so this is a completely new career path for me.

I have a feeling the job satisfaction from this line of work would be priceless,and I love kids.

Could someone please pass on advise/feedback on the above course and/or recommend any voluntary work as a trail in for me before the course starts as a tester?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are not likely to get voluntary work in this area as you have to have garda clearance to work with children and vulnerable adults.

If you are doing the FETAC course as an evening or part time course it is unlikely that you are doing the full certificate. You will be doing one module, and that will not get you employment. What is the exact title of the course? You could spend a lot of money doing the course privately. Try talking to someone in your local PLC college - if they do Special Needs -and see if there is any way you could get more information.

I fully agree that exploring the reality of working with special needs children is a good idea, I am not sure it will be easy to do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

xbbjllq, it is possible that you might be doing a module rather than the full certificate. To qualify yourself to work with children you'd need to do a level 5 Major award, details here - http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/awardsDirectory.do?method=getMajorAwardDetails&majorAwardId=5438&fromPage=awardsByField

Again, to get work experience you will need Garda clearance. However there's no harm in getting in touch with a school/charity/creche to see if they'd let you sit in of an afternoon. Do you have any previous experience (not necessarily professional) with kids with special needs?

Advertisement