Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birmingham City Vs Liverpool. 12/09/10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I think it's fair to say Lucas should not start for Liverpool anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Against United I think i'd actually like to see meireles starting in the middle with either Lucas or Poulsen. Those two just look terrible together. Would prefer to risk Meireles with Gerrard supporting them in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fair result, I thought Meireles looked very good with the time he got, his movement was very good and his passing was slick. Poulson seemed to show some passing prowress as well in the final few mins.

Not a bad result by any means. Hopefully Cole will take Jova's place and Meireles in place of Lucas against Man U. I'd prefer to see no Maxi as well tbh.

I was glad to see Konchesky have a solid debut display, I was one of the few who were very happy with Roy signing him. Hopefully the injury isn't serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Raul Meireles clearly made (not quite enough of) a difference, he must start the next game and every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I said "we looked like winning". Do you understand now?

I know what you said, looking like winning a match means nothing if you don't win it. Are you going to compare every game this season to it's corresponding fixture last season? I could imagine that being very mentally draining and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Two evenly matched teams, no surprise with the result. I expect both teams to be close to each other again in the league table come the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

PHB wrote: »
    I agree. There is a serious serious menality problem in Liverpool's squad atm, all the players are playing below their ability. Going to take a bit to turn around a season of feeling like that.

Yup. Happy to give roy hodgson some leeway for a while to sort it out, could really have used cole today and dropped lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

First time I've watched Liverpool play all season... they were incredibly lucky to get a point out of that, Birmingham were far, far better.

Might start looking at odds for Liverpool to finish bottom half this season, they are absolutely woeful so far

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    Raul Meireles clearly made (not quite enough of) a difference, he must start the next game and every game.

He looked lively alright but Gerrard dropping deeper at the same time made a difference also.
    The switch and the way he got forward made it look like Roy has more planned for him than a holding role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

copacetic wrote: »
    He looked lively alright but Gerrard dropping deeper at the same time made a difference also.
    The switch and the way he got forward made it look like Roy has more planned for him than a holding role.

I think that was more to do with fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm not looking forward to next week.:(
    It just reeks of a Liverpool revival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Throwing Meireles into a midfield 2 on his debut, in a fast paced, frantic away game in which we were already struggling - would have been silly. He was played further forward to limit his responsibility.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I know what you said, looking like winning a match means nothing if you don't win it. Are you going to compare every game this season to it's corresponding fixture last season? I could imagine that being very mentally draining and pointless.

So performance means nothing to you then, only results?

roryc wrote: »
    First time I've watched Liverpool play all season... they were incredibly lucky to get a point out of that, Birmingham were far, far better.

Might start looking at odds for Liverpool to finish bottom half this season, they are absolutely woeful so far

I doubt you win many bets do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Esse85 wrote: »
    Two evenly matched teams, no surprise with the result. I expect both teams to be close to each other again in the league table come the end of the season.

Aha ha ha ha.........yeah, I'm finished with this thread now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There was already some comments along the lines of 'yeah, cos Rafa had such a good record against Birmingham, didn't he'. I think Lloyd was just responding to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

baz2009 wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to next week.:(
    It just reeks of a Liverpool revival.

with man utd crossing ability lol, it will be a cricket score

who told glen johnson he was a defender :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

That Briidge between striker and midfield is still down,No supply to front two, relying on individual brilliance from Torres and Gerrard rather that a decent supply,
    Torres playing as a self service striker, Anything he did today came from his own doing,No wonder he looked so distressed or annoyed at times,but only becasue of his inability to change or achieve something due to his self service role,
    when he recieves the ball he should be playing it back to midfield if nothing on,and linking up with them again
    But no he is expected to turn on it and beat defenders and score goals, He has no options when he recieves it, no one in midfield wants to go beyond the front two
    So its either score a wonder goal, or lose it to opposing team,
    it was the latter today
    His lack of options when in possession of ball is shocking ,Links with Gerrard on occasion but thats it,

5starpool wrote: »
    So performance means nothing to you then, only results?

There was enough terrible performances last year to negate any argument that Rafa had us playing better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Credit to Birmingham, they played some brilliant football today. Great side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm starting to really think that Johnson is a bad player. He seems incredibly stupid.

I liked the look of Meireles.

We were the better side second half, but it was another poor performance.

I'm starting to really think that Johnson is a bad player. He seems incredibly stupid.

Yeah he hasn't been filling me with confidence at all lately, he was absolutely clueless today.

On the upside i like the look of the Konch today he looked solid enough hopefully his injury was only a knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Aha ha ha ha.........yeah, I'm finished with this thread now. ;)

Liverpool finished 7th last season, Birmingham finished 9th, I expect similar placings, maybe the roles will be reversed, looks like that today.

Your arrogance stinks.

I doubt you win many bets do you?

I work for a betting company so have a little understanding of betting yes. And if you re-read my post I said I might start looking at odds for them to finish bottom half. They finished 7th last season and so far look worse this season, albeit only a couple of games in. Finishing 11th or worse isn't outside the realm of possibility, and its because of blinkered fans like yourself believing that this could never happen that the odds are generally a lot longer than they should be. The question is, are there ten teams that could finish higher than Liverpool?

If the odds are good enough I might put a few quid on it. Its a long shot but more of a chance of that happening that United finishing outside the top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Yeah he hasn't been filling me with confidence at all lately, he was absolutely clueless today.

On the upside i like the look of the Konch today he looked solid enough hopefully his injury was only a knock.

On johnson it has to be a confidence thing which imo is affecting the whole team. Couldn't believe the amount of times today he was caught in possession, people just taking the ball from him, for a right back that's criminal. if he can cut out the mistakes it will be a big fillip to our chances of getting cl football next year.

Gerrard was disapointing again, not playing the percentages at all, particularly in light of his performances for England. Poulsen wasn't bad seemed to be playing very very deep, konchesky will make that position his own. we were happy with a draw from very early today which isn't actually a bad result when taken in context of city drawing at home and spurs failing to win. our seventh consecutive draw with Birmingham. will be interesting to see how these two do at st andrews.

• Advertisement

I work for a betting company so have a little understanding of betting yes. And if you re-read my post I said I might start looking at odds for them to finish bottom half. They finished 7th last season and so far look worse this season, albeit only a couple of games in. Finishing 11th or worse isn't outside the realm of possibility, and its because of blinkered fans like yourself believing that this could never happen that the odds are generally a lot longer than they should be. The question is, are there ten teams that could finish higher than Liverpool?

If the odds are good enough I might put a few quid on it. Its a long shot but more of a chance of that happening that United finishing outside the top four.

I think Liverpool will finish in the top half this season. We may even nab a Europa League spot. And no, i'm not being sarcastic.

Just starting now?? I can't stand Johnston. As the whole world knows, he's really good going forward. But he's a pathetic defender. I just don't like him. (And his stupid haircut)

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think Liverpool will finish in the top half this season. We may even nab a Europa League spot. And no, i'm not being sarcastic.

So do I tbh. But my point was if the odds are good enough then I might throw a few quid down. Its fairly off-topic anyway, just annoys me when some people seem to think their team is invincible. Liverpool could have a shocker of a season and finish bottom half, and it wouldn't be a major suprise.

Try telling Leeds fans after the 01/02 season when they finished 5th, that the following season they would finish 15th. And the year after that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Good performance by Brum, we definitely deserved a point and probably would have got all 3 if it was not for a couple of fantastic saves by Pepe. We were never really troubled in defence, really showed today why we are so solid defensively. We work well as a team and everyone puts in a shift even McFadden. And with Hleb and Beausejour still to come into the team we are looking pretty set up for the season. Hopefully we can just consolidate our top ten position in the next few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Just starting now?? I can't stand Johnston. As the whole world knows, he's really good going forward. But he's a pathetic defender. I just don't like him. (And his stupid haircut)

He could be a major liability defensively if Poulsen / Meireles / Lucas can't replicate the mopping up Mascherano did for the side the last few seasons.

• Advertisement

So do I tbh. But my point was if the odds are good enough then I might throw a few quid down. Its fairly off-topic anyway, just annoys me when some people seem to think their team is invincible. Liverpool could have a shocker of a season and finish bottom half, and it wouldn't be a major suprise.

Try telling Leeds fans after the 01/02 season when they finished 5th, that the following season they would finish 15th. And the year after that...

Yeah, i agree with you. If there are ridiculous long odds out there about Liverpool finishing in the bottom half and you think there's a good possibility of it happening....well yeah go for it.

I think there's more chance of us finishing in the bottom half of the table this season than there has been since the dark days of the Souness era. So you're absolutely right to be keeping an eye out for odds.

Of course, i know people will jump in on this saying it's laughable etc etc and taking everything out of context. I think Liverpool will finish top half, but in no way do i think we will get a Champions league place.

Nail >> Head

Saying Liverpool wont finish the season in the bottom half of the table is hardly the same as thinking they're invincible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Been saying it for ages. Hes dirt. Had luke young signed for pool johnson wouldnt have been starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Helix wrote: »
    Been saying it for ages. Hes dirt. Had luke young signed for pool johnson wouldnt have been starting

Unfortunately, I think this is correct.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think this is correct.

Wouldnt have said unfortunately, young is disgustingly underrated on here. Comfortably the best english rb when hes match fit. Wouldve been a great signing

Wouldnt have said unfortunately, young is disgustingly underrated on here. Comfortably the best english rb when hes match fit. Wouldve been a great signing

Why do you rate him?? I just don't see enough of him. What are his qualities?

No, it's unfortunate when you consider how much it cost to acquire Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Yep and obviously you know more than a plethora of top managers (Rafa, Fabio, etc). He's a very good fullback. He's not a particularly good defender but a full back is expected to be of an attacker than a defender in modern football. He's an upgrade on and is twice the player Luke Young is. His high transfer fee exposes him to more criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

3 hours ago liverpool supporters were debating if he was the second or third best right back in the world:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

3 hours ago liverpool supporters were debating if he was the second or third best right back in the world:rolleyes:

Eh........not all Liverpool supporters were??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i doubt it considering the guy he replaced at liverpool was a far better defender, johnson like ramos at madrid and alves at barcelona are much better going forward than defending, none of the 3 imo are defenders

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Yep and obviously you know more than a plethora of top managers (Rafa, Fabio, etc). He's a very good fullback. He's not a particularly good defender but a full back is expected to be of an attacker than a defender in modern football. He's an upgrade on and is twice the player Luke Young is. His high transfer fee exposes him to more criticism.
    Your logic is stupid. Sure lots of managers rate heskey! You dont need to be a pro manager to have a valid opinion on a player. No more than you have to be a pro chef to have an opinion on a meal.

Johnson is technically superior to young, but young is a better right back by a long way. Play 3 center backs and wing backs (if we go back to the mid 90s lol) and johnson would get the nod. But if youre only playing 4 defenders in the premiership, you need 4 guys who can defend

Why do you rate him?? I just don't see enough of him. What are his qualities?

When match fit and playing at right back, he offers great tackling, a good brain, calmness, no nonsense distribution and plenty of communication

What he doesnt offer is a huge amount going forward (but we use wingers so it suits us) or any fancy dan stuff

Basically does what hes supposed to do, reliably (unless youre martin o'neill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Your logic is stupid. Sure lots of managers rate heskey! You dont need to be a pro manager to have a valid opinion on a player. No more than you have to be a pro chef to have an opinion on a meal.

Johnson is technically superior to young, but young is a better right back by a long way. Play 3 center backs and wing backs (if we go back to the mid 90s lol) and johnson would get the nod. But if youre only playing 4 defenders in the premiership, you need 4 guys who can defend

Well Johnson made team of the season while at Pompey. And the logic isn't "stupid", if someone more qualified to make a judgement on a player does so then it's highly likely to be more accurate... Put him in a teamwith an attacking mindset and you'd see a different player. He doesn't suit our current style of play but hopefully that will change.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Well Johnson made team of the season while at Pompey. And the logic isn't "stupid", if someone more qualified to make a judgement on a player does so then it's highly likely to be more accurate... Put him in a teamwith an attacking mindset and you'd see a different player. He doesn't suit our current style of play but hopefully that will change.

put him in an attacking team and that team will be destroyed down their right hand side by most sides

the guy cant defend, the fact that he can attack doesnt make him a good right back

Who? Where? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive consistently said hes a poor defender.

Just back from town watching that.

A draw probably the best result overall. Only for Pepe though. Fúckin hell, he's priceless.

We ran out of ideas in the final 3rd, Torres was isolated at times and I don't know how many crosses pinged across the box with nobody there:confused:

Meireles looked decent when he came on, he has to start next week.

Poulsen/Lucas pairing is solid and we won't lose many with them in the middle but we won't win these sort of games either. Very little creativity between them and neither busting themselves to get into the box.

Glen Johnson needs to go to defensive school.

Saying all that, Birmingham are no mugs and a point is a decent enough result. We just now need to avoid defeat next week in Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Re Johnson - the quote I posted regarded him as a great attacking right back, not a defending one!

Advertisement