Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology Research Project

• 12-09-2010 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi all, Im started a year conversion course in Psychology and starting to freak out at the thought of the Research project. I graduated over 6 years ago so im slowly getting back into psychology, any ideas of where I might look for research ideas?
    I have a background in teaching and was hoping to do something in that line, any help would be grateful!
    Starting to pull my hair out already and its only been the first week!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I know that feeling. Do you have access to previous projects that you could read to see what's been done before? If it's something in education there should be ample material for you to draw on. See if you can narrow it down to a few things and start reading in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aloofasc

I do have access to past studies which im currently going through!
    I was thinking of doing something in the lines of testing the validity of some psychometric tests on LC students. (See if they actually match up to something they want to do) or the difference in motivation levels / study skills for Repeat LC Students compared to Non repeat students.
    Or I was also looking into comparing Mature Students and Non mature first year Uni students attitude/motivation to study

Im just not sure if any of the above are testable, have to meet up with a few different lectures over the next two weeks to discuss, i just want to have an idea before I see them, look less like a bumbling idiot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

aloofasc wrote: »
    I do have access to past studies which im currently going through!
    I was thinking of doing something in the lines of testing the validity of some psychometric tests on LC students. (See if they actually match up to something they want to do) or the difference in motivation levels / study skills for Repeat LC Students compared to Non repeat students.
    Or I was also looking into comparing Mature Students and Non mature first year Uni students attitude/motivation to study

Im just not sure if any of the above are testable, have to meet up with a few different lectures over the next two weeks to discuss, i just want to have an idea before I see them, look less like a bumbling idiot! :)

I'm no expert but they definitly sound like good strong ideas to me, best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aloofasc

Thanks Old Perry, will keep reading articles and go meet the lecturers, hopefully itll work out! Need to get a grip on an idea soon
    :)

No worries, i'm sure your lecturers will point you in the right direction, one that stands out to me is the mature students vs non mature students in their first year, not sure how far you could go with it and what possible aims and conclusions can be gleaned from it, but there is definitly something to be said as regards the motivation/dedication of a seventeen year old starting college and a mid twenties (upwards) person going back to better themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

I would say that your ideas are interesting but do not further the field.

A key problem with the hypothesis that mature students are more motivated than traditional students is that it's results driven, not theory based.

Where is the Psychology?..

You are on the wrong track, you need to begin with a psychological theory..like say Attribution Theory, or something along those lines...the next step is to look at a situation where you could examine how this theory manifests itself in the real world, or not as the case may be.

Psychology without respect to theory is flawed.

Your project should be built around a theoretical framework.

Don't worry, just keep asking, reading and listening...it will come together.

And avoid opinions like mine :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

aloofasc wrote: »

Check to see if you are allowed to do tests with people under 18. I wasn't allowed to do that at undergraduate level.

Maybe you could do a qualitative study where you interview people about their experiences at school (the interviews would be done on adults). You could choose a group like those with special needs or a group with ESL etc and then you could code the interview thematically and present your results.

Advertisement