Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice dog friendly parks/walks Galway City/County

• 12-09-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a nice place to bring dog for walks?
    Go to Cappagh pitches/Barna woods every evening but like to go somewhere different on Sundays
    (even though I haven't been anywhere as nice and dog friendly as Cappagh it's just nice to have a change sometimes)

Was in Merlin woods last weekend and I was shocked at the amount of litter, cans all around the place TVs thrown out and bags of rubbish.

Coole park is nice too but it's more a people park I think.
    (I know that's county but within a short commute of town)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated thanks:)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

How about Dangan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Am......maybe Rinville just past Oranmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

cool. thanks guys, I'll check them out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

magentas wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a nice place to bring dog for walks?

Was in Merlin woods last weekend and I was shocked at the amount of litter, cans all around the place TVs thrown out and bags of rubbish.

Yes, it is shocking. I have no idea why nothing is done about it. Without all the litter it would be lovely there.
    Its cleaner near Coil Tire and hospital area.
    I also like to walk along the river beside Corib Village to the Menlo Castle (i think this is what it's called). Its nice there.

Where is Cappagh?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Maja: the cappagh park is on the Cappagh Road in Knocknacarra. It's up near the roundabout. It's playing fields, a playground and some gravel paths. It borders Barna Woods on it's west edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

My 2 favorite walks in Galway with the dog are :-

(1) Through the University up along the west bank of the Corrib to Daingean and around the pitches there. The view of Menlo Castle across the river is good for the soul.

(2) Cappagh Park then through Barna woods and then down to Silver Strand. Plenty of exercise for man and his best friend. ;-))

Both allow the dog to take a swim and dry off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

+1 for the Uni walk. Used to do the forest park but too much broken glass now. The Swamp isnt too bad either if you dont have transport from town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,002 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maja wrote: »
    Where is Cappagh?

I'm told that the marker at (7) on the Knocknacarra area map is pretty exactly placed at the main entrance.

I haven't been out there myself, but someone on this forum gave very specific directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Can anyone recommend a good place to bring the dog for a walk outside Galway city. Fancy a bit of a spin and then a 5-10k walk. Willing to drive an hour or so (weather permitting!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's plenty of beaches out in the county.
    Bring the dog over to Inishmore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

darrenh wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good place to bring the dog for a walk outside Galway city. Fancy a bit of a spin and then a 5-10k walk. Willing to drive an hour or so (weather permitting!!)

Someone mentioned Rinvile. It's really nice place! My dog likes Doolin areas as well. but that's bit more than 1h drive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Garbally Woods in Ballinasloe is good for a nice quiet long walk with your dog, or Portumna Woods, I've never seen either place busy, it's brilliant, normally just me and the dog, maybe pass one or two other people but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jenny Q

Loved Portumna forest park, dogs are supposed to be on leads there though and ours came back with a few deer ticks.

Love the uni walk by the river

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi Jenny,

As you are new here can I just explain that we don't normally bump up very old threads like this unless there is a good reason.

I have no issue with a thread like this where the subject matter is very specific, just an FYI though in case you decide to have a browse around more threads like this. ;).

Advertisement