Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000km in 30 days

Options
  • 12-09-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Well here's my goal to cycle 1000km in 30 days. Am I mad? The goal is to do around 35km five days a week, with a longer spin around 100km at the weekend. Working towards the eventual goal of joining a club in the next few months. I'd say I have a fairly decent level of fitness at the moment (at least I like to think so). I did this route http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/22790814/ in 2hrs 6 mins last week. Is it possible or am I just a dreamer? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Just to give you a heads up, I've walked 35/40 km's a day for a month before doing the Camino de Santiago, It was 970k's total, so cycling it should be no bother to you :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's definitely doable, but largely depends on where you are starting from. If you are doing a 40km hilly ride in just over 2 hours at present, you should be fine. The challenge is probably going to be doing this repeatedly, 5 days a week, plus more at weekends if you are not used to riding regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coolbreeze2809

padma wrote: »
    Just to give you a heads up, I've walked 35/40 km's a day for a month before doing the Camino de Santiago, It was 970k's total, so cycling it should be no bother to you :)

Maybe I should change it to 10000km in 30 days ;). But I probably couldn't even do that in a car! :)

Beasty wrote: »
    It's definitely doable, but largely depends on where you are starting from. If you are doing a 40km hilly ride in just over 2 hours at present, you should be fine. The challenge is probably going to be doing this repeatedly, 5 days a week, plus more at weekends if you are not used to riding regularly.

Mostly it's gonna be the motivation to get up off my backside and actually go for a cycle each day, as I haven't got anywhere to cycle to :(. But failure is not an option!

33km done today. And a very close call with a Nissan Micra :eek:

33 down 977 to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

33km done today. And a very close call with a Nissan Micra :eek:

33 down 977 to go...

967 ;)

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    967 ;)

Off to a good start already :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is more than possible, just work towards it. Some nuts even do 1,000km in half a week- they are called "audax" people. Rather them than me but there you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

1,000kms in 30 days is doable : the hard part I think is limiting the daily distance to 35k's per day.

By trying to cover 1,000, by "only" doing 35k per day, you consign yourself to having to make sure you ride every other day.
    It takes discipline to ride every other day.

And if you miss a day, you have to doubleup the next day.

Personally I would try to hit a daily target of between 50-70kms : that way you buy yourself if you cannot do 35k per day.

blorg wrote: »
    It is more than possible, just work towards it. Some nuts even do 1,000km in half a week- they are called "audax" people. Rather them than me but there you go :)

:eek: I'd find that exhausting in my car!
    hinault wrote: »
    1,000kms in 30 days is doable : the hard part I think is limiting the daily distance to 35k's per day.

Not necessarily limiting myself to that distance, more of a distance that i can cover in around two hours. So as i get fitter I'll (hopefully) cover more distance each day without killing myself. :)

41 km today. Dalkey to Greystones and back in 1hr 49m. http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/22993614/
    Might have been a bit faster without stopping at the lights, but I'm a good boy :D

74 down 926 to go...or is it 936 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

blorg wrote: »

This is called 'modesty'. Blorg eats 1,000km for breakfast.

Good luck with the challenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Good for you CoolB. Keep at it! By the time your finished this you'll be inquiring about becoming an audaxitte... audaxer... audaxie..... gonna have to think about that one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not sure if this will encourage or depress you, but one of the Race Around Ireland riders managed to complete 1,030km in less than 47 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Well here's my goal to cycle 1000km in 30 days. Am I mad? The goal is to do around 35km five days a week, with a longer spin around 100km at the weekend.

It's doable, but can depend on the weather now. It sounds almost exactly like my own plan when I started in July, and I think I could only do 800km in a month even though the weather was perfect, mainly because my legs and bum needed some rest from time to time, especially after the long ones over the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Easily doable :)

MOD NOTE: Zombie thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement