Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Open Day yesterday - Anyone at it?

Options
  • 12-09-2010 10:17am

Just wondering if anyone was at it yesterday?

There was quite a turn out, so I'm sure at least a few boardsies were there?!

I was there myself, for a good few hours. Had a great time, actually. Fair play to the lads for putting it on.

Kids (and adults alike) seemed to be having great fun getting their photos taken on bikes and in cars, etc. and playing with the sirens and such. I'm sort of upset I didn't get to play with any sirens myself :p

Anyone else at it? What did ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fun was had alright but also unhappy about not being allowed play with the sirens :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Brought the kids down yesterday and we all had a great time. Got to hold a uzi :eek: and got locked in the cell.

The CCTV system is very impressive and a good use of tax payers money. The camera's are very accurate. They could zoom in on an insurance disc on a car and overall have great visibility of the town.

fdn.png

Dingatron wrote: »

fdn.png

I must've been standing right next to you, Dingatron!

p9112604.jpg

:pac:

Was able to see my folks place on the cameras , they wouldn't zoom in so I could see what was for dinner though :(

Yeah Calex, those are some serious cameras they have on that unit. He was zooming into the Cable Bridge, really closely, and not a bit of pixelation to be seen. Clear as anything.

He was saying they can also remotely access the control room of the station, and view the cameras that are around the town. I'd say it's an expensive van to run, but it has got some serious equipment on it.

It's a pity they didn't designate a Traffic Corps officer to each of the Traffic Corps cars. Wouldn't have minded pestering them a bit, to find out how the cars work, and such.

I believe they have scanners and such for license plates that let them know if you have your tax paid and such, but it would have been good to see how it showed up in the Garda car and such. What different lightbar settings and sirens are available to them and the other ins and outs of being in the Traffic Corps.

And what excuses work best when you're caught by them :P

• Advertisement

When they were telling me about the van I was having a mental image of a transit van with a Flowers By Irene logo on the side :D

Do you mean the unmarked white van, or the Garda Control camera van truck, thingy?

I was talking about the camera van truck/van. I was looking at the unmarked van a fair bit, during the day, but I never did find out what it was for.

I did find it a bit silly that they put the stations three unmarked cars on display. Kind of eliminates the point. :confused:

I must've been standing right next to you, Dingatron!

I think you were looking at that pic. I was at the side entrance. I did see a guy with an SLR alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

how did I miss this, where was the open day?

Dingatron wrote: »
    I think you were looking at that pic. I was at the side entrance. I did see a guy with an SLR alright.

Well I assumed you took that pic? Considering they're both from the same angle, at about the same time...? :confused:

halfback5 wrote: »
    how did I miss this, where was the open day?

It wasn't very well advertised, in fairness. I only found out about it by chance. I was talking to my dad at about three or four o clock on Friday, and he heard it on LMFM that morning and wrote it down for me (I have great interest in the emergency services).

Apparently it was in the Drogheda Independent last week, that they'd be having an open day, but I didn't see the paper, so can't verify that for sure.

Still though, there was a hell of a turn out. I see the Boyne Fishermen Rescue & Recovery Service will be having an open day on Sunday (19th), from 1pm-6pm.

As much as I like the BFRRS guys, I don't think they'll draw as much of a crowd as the Gardaì did. I don't think they've a wide enough range of things to display, really? The Gardaì seemed to have everyone catered for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EI8GHB

I went down with my kids and they had a great time. We saw a talk upstairs about the Garda Air Support Unit. They showed lots of footage of various incidents taken from the helicopter. Very advanced optical/camera technology on board there. Brilliant stuff, really fascinating. Even the kids didn't get bored. And they all got High-Vis jackets to take home for free so they were chuffed.

EI8GHB wrote: »
    And they all got High-Vis jackets to take home for free so they were chuffed.

Some big kids might have acquired one too for cycling :o

Explains why there was none left for my kids... :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was at the BFRRS open day today and I have to say they put on a good show. Bouncy castles and face painting along with some nosebag and some decent live music. The kids could hop in the boats that were in the boathouse and they did a mock rescue with the 4x4 pulling in with blues and twos going, and the crew getting kitted out and getting in the Boyne to do a 'rescue'.

delly wrote: »
    I was at the BFRRS open day today and I have to say they put on a good show. Bouncy castles and face painting along with some nosebag and some decent live music. The kids could hop in the boats that were in the boathouse and they did a mock rescue with the 4x4 pulling in with blues and twos going, and the crew getting kitted out and getting in the Boyne to do a 'rescue'.

Was planning to go to this, but I couldn't get to it. Raging I missed it. Heard it was supposed to have been a good laugh alright.

Advertisement