Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Norris be President?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Norris would be perfect for the job.

He's a well turned out, intelligent bloke who actually lets people know what his views are on things. Agree with him all the time or not, the man does have a sense of decency about him, something I can say about very few politicians.

Of course his sexuality should be irrelevant, but I'm sure there's still a few older people who will hold it against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    He has also campaigned for 16 year-olds being legally allowed to have sex with 60 year-olds.

People outside the Pale will never vote for a homosexual in the Aras.

He argued for the age of consent to be across the board. Nothing contentious there.

People will vote for him outside the Pale, especially in towns and cities. I think you over-estimate how conservative most of Ireland is. The amount of bogtrotters out there is irrelevent in the scheme of a national poll.

What might do for him is Michael D getting Labour's nomination as they would be very similar candidates.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Realistically though what has Norriss done as such. The vast majoirty of his work is based around Local Issues, particularly TCD and the Gay rights issue, which while national, even international, which is an issue that in the grand scheme of things for the average citizen is down the list on practical priorities.

I would say he has zero chance of getting elected as it is a national vote. Nobody outside of Dublin cares much about what he does as such and the whole cathlic hang up on homosexuality leaves he down the pile. I just can't see the old generation of Fianna Fail voters 70+ voting for him to be honest.

I've met him once, terribly nice guy, great speaker and he is very passionate about his convictions but unfortunately I just don't see him being a serious contender.

How many of them are there? 5,000? Irrelevant in the scheme of things.

The Presidency will be won and lost in the cities, and I think being gay might go in his favour, as urban sophisticates will react badly to the inveitible rural FF slurs and homophobic bead rattling and vote him in just to put it right up the slurrymunchers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

As for his sexual orientation, well a lot of the people who won't vote for him on those grounds are the same people who will attend mass on a sunday and strongly defend and institution that actively shelters paedophiles to this day.

I have too say your right.

The Church Is A Cult.

professore wrote: »
    From Wikipedia :

Norris describes himself as a human rights activist and he has campaigned against some of the actions of the United States during its 'war on terror', including the confinement of suspected terrorists in Guantanamo Bay detention camp. He is also a strong critic of both loyalist and republican terrorism. Norris has observed some controversial Orange marches in Northern Ireland. In February 2010, Norris declared his interest to run in the next Irish presidential election.

I have heard this man speak on several occasions. Each time I am impressed by the clarity and straightforwardness of his answers, and the way he actually seems to have principles, contrasting strongly to the bull**** waffle and the changing with the wind we get from most of our leaders.

I might not agree with everything he says - although I must say I agree with a lot of it - but at least he is more of a man than any other politician out there. As for his sexual orientation, well a lot of the people who won't vote for him on those grounds are the same people who will attend mass on a sunday and strongly defend and institution that actively shelters paedophiles to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

If he' so good, how come he never went for the Dail where he could have made a difference instead of wating his time in the Debating Club Seanad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If he' so good, how come he never went for the Dail where he could have made a difference instead of wating his time in the Debating Club Seanad.

perhaps because he's more interested in intellectual pursuits rather than grasping for power and money? just a suggestion :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Presidency will be won and lost in the cities, and I think being gay might go in his favour, as urban sophisticates will react badly to the inveitible rural FF slurs and homophobic bead rattling and vote him in just to put it right up the slurrymunchers

I don't fall under the category of "urban sophisticate" (I used take the label off me cider bottle) but yes, thats about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The thread is about David Norris and the last few posts are about "urban sophisticates" contrasted with slurrymunchers and bogtrotters :rolleyes:

Michael D Higgins will probably get the Labour nomination

Who will propose David Norris? You have to get nominated before you can run for President, Dana failed to get nominated last time afaik

perhaps because he's more interested in intellectual pursuits rather than grasping for power and money? just a suggestion :rolleyes:
    Well he's had the money side of it having been on the Public Payroll for the past thirty years or so. And it looks like he wants to continue leeching off us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Well he's had the money side of it having been on the Public Payroll for the past thirty years or so. And it looks like he wants to continue leeching off us!

He worked as a Lecturer in Trinity until 1996. How can you say he's been "leeching off us" for the last "thirty years or so" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I can't think of anyone more dignified or intelligent to represent Ireland from the current crop of candidates. Norris is actually one of the few Senators, along with Shane Ross, that is good value for money in questioning the government

Because he was an academic who ran to represent Trinity in the Seanad - his constituency, who vote him back in time and again. He has achieved more change than any other independent TD, with the possible exception of Gregory, ever has.

The thread is about David Norris and the last few posts are about "urban sophisticates" contrasted with slurrymunchers and bogtrotters :rolleyes:

It was mentioned that he might not poll well amongst the yokels out there, I countered that by saying that its irrelevant in a national poll
    Michael D Higgins will probably get the Labour nomination

If the two of them go head to head, I can see them taking each other out of the game.
    Who will propose David Norris? You have to get nominated before you can run for President, Dana failed to get nominated last time afaik

The Seanad I would assume. If Derek Nally (remember him?) can get nominated, I have no doubt Norris could get the Corpo onside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I would say it's a lot more than 5000. From here : http://iscp.wordpress.com/over-70-medical-card-crisis/

There are 350,084 people over 70 :eek: who have Medical Cards and they represent just 8.07% of the total population.

Considering that a high percentage of these vote, and a low percentage of age groups more likely to vote for Norris won't vote at all, or are too young to vote, I'd say they represent 25% of the voters at least.

I would say it's a lot more than 5000. From here : http://iscp.wordpress.com/over-70-medical-card-crisis/

There are 350,084 people over 70 :eek: who have Medical Cards and they represent just 8.07% of the total population.

Considering that a high percentage of these vote, and a low percentage of age groups more likely to vote for Norris won't vote at all, or are too young to vote, I'd say they represent 25% of the voters at least.

130,000 farmers in Ireland. Assuming that they live as long as the rest of the population, and taking 3.5m as the voting public, thats 10% of the population of Ireland over 70, giving us 13,000 farmers. 41% of the population (mugs) voted FF, so logically there are 5,330 FF voting farmers over 70.

An irrelevance at national level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

130,000 farmers in Ireland. Assuming that they live as long as the rest of the population, and taking 3.5m as the voting public, thats 10% of the population of Ireland over 70, giving us 13,000 farmers. 41% of the population (mugs) voted FF, so logically there are 5,330 FF voting farmers over 70.

An irrelevance at national level.

Lot of holes in that argument. As someone who grew up in the heart of rural ireland ...

1. Contrary to popular belief the vast majority of people living in rural Ireland are not farmers. Most work in industry, small business, civil service etc. In some counties the majority of people would be blow-ins from Dublin, Cork or Galway and have no ties to the area even though they live there. A lot of potential Norris votes there.

2. In my experience, farmers mostly vote Fine Gael (and pronounce the first word the same as Fine Weather)

3. Farmers, being the inbreds that they are, have an average life expectancy of 45 (Joke !!!!!).

4. Farmers are actually very well organised and will vote in a block if the IFA tell them it will get them more money from Brussels or the taxpayer. Actually most farmers are really welfare cases whose main income comes from grants.

In conclusion these voters are not irrelevant at all, and in fact could decide the outcome of the election.

paulaa wrote: »
    He worked as a Lecturer in Trinity until 1996. How can you say he's been "leeching off us" for the last "thirty years or so" ?
    Ok. Thirty years is an exaggeration. He's only been doing so for twenty three years.. Since 1987. So he's held down a job as a Lecturer and as a Senator. Both paid by the taxpayer. How can he effectively devote sufficent time to either?
    Because he was an academic who ran to represent Trinity in the Seanad - his constituency, who vote him back in time and again. He has achieved more change than any other independent TD, with the possible exception of Gregory, ever has.
    Fair enough. He should decide what he wants to do and do it but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Lot of holes in that argument. As someone who grew up in the heart of rural ireland ...
    ..........you seem to be pretty clueless as to what goes on there.

Fair enough. He should decide what he wants to do and do it but not both.

He has, he is a full time politician. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Did I say that? So you're saying all he focused on was equality for homosexuals? You're probably correct 'cos I heard sod all else from him. So, again, I say he did sod all for the past twenty years. Remind me again when homosexuality was decriminalised? And what he's been doing since or campaigning for since.

You think since homosexuality has been decriminalised that homosexual couples/parents/partners/families have equal rights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I was listening to an interesting discussion on Newstalk yesterday and someone brought up an interesting question which never occourred to me. Can David Norris be President given his open homosexuality? It would bar him from visiting, or receiving visitors from, many Middle Eastern and African countries as homosexuality is still illegal in many countries.

i havent read the rest of the thread, im sure this has been said already,

norris's sexual orientation shouldnt be an issue in him running for president, the man being an utter boorish buffoon should be however, we would be a laughing stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well I'm from rural Ireland and wouldn't vote for him

And reading this thread I've seen references to bogtrotters, slurrymuchers, elderly farmers and yokels as if everyone outside a city is backward :rolleyes:
    Kildare North consistently reelected Emmet Stagg, are they backward?

Don't forget the references to "urban sophisticates", realy that's an arrogant attitude

I won't vote for him as it has nothing to do with his sexual orientation.
    Just I went to college in Galway, met Michael D many times and was impressed.

I've not met any other candidates so I go with what I know. Valid reason as any and I don't need urban sophisticates assuming I'm bigoted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The answer to this thread would appear to be "yes" based on the latest TV3 poll; weirdly enough, on an early version of the page, they had the following info up but it's gone now:

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=45040&locID=1.2.&pagename=news

The original text said:
    "Senator David Norris emerges as a clear early favourite for the presidency - 20% name him without any prompting. The two potential Labour party candidates, Fergus Finlay and Michael D. Higgins register 8% each revealing a strong Labour candidacy for the role once a single candidate emerges."

For a non-party candidate, that's a pretty good start.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I spoke with someone from the Green Party at an area meeting a few nights ago. Seems they would not run a candidate for financial reasons and they would probably back Norris. That makes 6 TDs and 3 Senators. I could see some Independent TDs going for him as well, maybe Maureen O'Sullivan and McGrath. No idea about Independent senators, 6 at the most. Every panel aprt from the universities and taoiseach nominations is full with FF FG and Lab. That only leaves SF to vote for him but I don't think they would.

As regards county councils I dont see where he would get 4 nominations, he would be blocked by the three big parties to protect their own candidate.

Advertisement