Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Benefit - will be in hospital for a month

Options
  • 12-09-2010 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi
    I am on Jobseekers Benefit at present, but will have to go to hospital for approx 4 weeks, afterwhich i will be fine again to seek work.

What should I do, as if I miss collecting my jobseekers payments from the post office, my Jobseekers Benefit may be cancelled completely during this 4 week period.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

WickyMarr wrote: »
    Hi
    I am on Jobseekers Benefit at present, but will have to go to hospital for approx 4 weeks, afterwhich i will be fine again to seek work.

What should I do, as if I miss collecting my jobseekers payments from the post office, my Jobseekers Benefit may be cancelled completely during this 4 week period.

Any suggestions?

Go into the SW office and talk to them, you will prob have to get a letter from doctor to say you will be in hospital for a month, you wont lose your payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭daltonm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/disability-and-illness/disability_benefit
    Transfer from Jobseeker's Allowance or Invalidity Pension to Illness Benefit

"If you were getting Jobseeker's Allowance or Invalidity Pension immediately before claiming Illness Benefit, you do not need to have 13 paid contributions."

You simply swap over to this because you are no longer available for work, you will not lose anything. Ask the social welfare but I think you need to get a social welfare cert from your doctor and be sure to ask for a "monthly" cert because if you are unable to collect the weekly cert then you will not get paid.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WickyMarr

Thanks for this advice everyone.

Advertisement