Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery of Stolen GPS

Options
  • 12-09-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

Our car was broken into and several valuables were stolen, among them a GPS. Is there any way to track a GPS?

Regards,j

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I think you would be far better off posting your question in one of the technical forums - no special reason why lawyers would know more about GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

We're not all in the law trade ;) but it's probably not the right place anyways.

Unfortunately for you a GPS receiver does not transmit any signal so there is nothing to track, it's just a radio receiver which does some precise mathematics.

This should help you understand the workings http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/travel/gps1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi,

Our car was broken into and several valuables were stolen, among them a GPS. Is there any way to track a GPS?

Regards,j
    Heres the thing

If you could ...you need the Gardai to do it

If you could not ... well you once again need to contact the Gardai.

So regardless of the answer the Gardai are your only port of call.

Sorry for your Misfortune rest assured you are not the only victim of this type of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Moved from Legal Discussion to GPS forum. Not sure they'll be able to help you, but certainly more appropriate location.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are certain live units that have SIM cards.Technically these devices could be tracked using triangulation. However, unless part of a major and serious investigation, the Guards or the networks are not going to commit the time and resources required to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nope, as others have posted, GPS receivers receive, they do not send. Now if they nicked your Android based phone, you could remotely turn on the GPS, and get it to text you it's current location.

But I suspect it was a dedicated GPS receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

Anything nicked that might encourage the thieves to visit your HOME (Favourite) for more of the same. A CCTV camera trained on the entrance to your home might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

Thanks for all your postings, all very enlightened

Nope, as others have posted, GPS receivers receive, they do not send. Now if they nicked your Android based phone, you could remotely turn on the GPS, and get it to text you it's current location.

But I suspect it was a dedicated GPS receiver.

I am assuming the phone would have to be currently on at the time.

Plus how would you get the phone to do that from were you where?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I am assuming the phone would have to be currently on at the time.

Plus how would you get the phone to do that from were you where?
    There are automation apps available that allow you to send a text to your phone containing a pre-defined keyword, that will trigger a set of actions, such as:
    1) Turn on GPS
    2) Send Text with Date/Time/GPS-Coordinates to this number xxx-yyyyyyyy
    3) Display text on screen saying: This phone has been stolen, please ring: xxx-yyyyyyyyy
    4) Play an MP3 at maximum volume (siren? This phone is stolen? Stop, thief!).
    5) Delete your personal data
    etc.
    There are also ready-made apps that will do all of the above for you - you just need to enter the specific details.

Yes, the phone would need to be switched on, but it's obviously going to get switched on at some stage, and when it does get switched on.....
    Additionally, there are other apps (like WaveSecure) that will alert a specific user when a sim has been changed, and activate 'stolen mode'. Of course you do need to have these apps pre-installed and setup on your phone.

• Advertisement

Thats very good. Can you set this app to do one and two and skip the others?

You can set it up to do whatever the hell you want! Here's a guide on how to set up tasker for Android to do just that. alternatively you could just buy an app from the Android market that has it all set up already. You just need to input phone numbers etc. You do of course need an Android-based phone (or iPhone if you prefer your phone of the Tonka toy variety!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Hoe do you do this with iPhone? I have mobile me so I can do it that way, but the text keywords sound very useful!!

alexlyons wrote: »
    Hoe do you do this with iPhone? I have mobile me so I can do it that way, but the text keywords sound very useful!!
    Sorry alexlyons, I don't have an iPhone, so am not familiar with the range of apps available. Perhaps you could try an iPhone forum?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sorry alexlyons, I don't have an iPhone, so am not familiar with the range of apps available. Perhaps you could try an iPhone forum?

Either the iphone or Android forum is the best place for anyone looking for infomation tracking mobiles. The OP here was referring to tracking GPS devices.

koolkid wrote: »
    The OP here was referring to tracking GPS devices.
    ...which formed the basis of my original reply.

Any discussion (no matter how loosely related to GPS) would help to increase the level of activity in this forum, which has gone particularly quiet of late.

Don't worry it's going to get busy very shortly.
    Trust me.
    Watch this space;)

koolkid wrote: »
    Don't worry it's going to get busy very shortly.
    Trust me.
    I hope you're not thinking of posting naked pictures.

:)

:eek:who took Toms clothes?

Tom Toms clothes ....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 poppy25

Just to get back to The Garmin Sat Nav's. I have one a while now. I put a PIN on it lyk a foooooL and now i cant rem the f'n pin? Wat can i do to turn it on without the pin? Can i reset it somehow?

Im a Female......

I remember a Gamin I had where you set up a location as a reset. If you forgot the PIN you went to that location and turned the device on.
    Do you remember setting up something like that?

Advertisement