Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with my Jack Russell

Options
  • 12-09-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

My dog seems to have went through hell last night, woke up this morning with puddles of blood around the house. It appears to be coming from her behind and also threw getting sick.

Last night I realised that she wasn't herself and there was small lumps around her head and body. Her belly was entirely pink also.

She's recently been on anti biotics for what appears to be a small cyst on her back but I'm not sure if this has any relevance to what is wrong with her.

If anyone has any ideas what may be wrong I'd be grateful for replies.

Also as it's a Sunday there isn't any vets open but I have a emergency number but I'm not sure if it is that severe...

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

it sounds that severe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

duckysauce wrote: »
    it sounds that severe

Well yeah I figured that just at the moment she seems ok. I was wondering should I wait till the morning to bring her to my local vet or call an emergency vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

the pools of blood may point to the parvo virus,not sure about the other symtoms,parvo is very serious

mr lee wrote: »
    the pools of blood may point to the parvo virus,not sure about the other symtoms,parvo is very serious

I've just been talking to my mother (who cleaned up this morning before I woke up) and she told me that it was more of a thicker texture and not actually pools of blood. I'm not sure if this changes anything but I'm just so confused about it all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Go to the vet. This is not a 'wait and see if she gets better herself' issue. Blood never is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Or you north county Dublin by any chance?.

Reason I ask is a Vet friend warned me during the week there's been a huge increase in Parvo case's in the area recently. She's not on facebook at the moment, but first thing I thought of was Parvo.

In either case, I wouldn't be waiting around to see. Parvo has to be acted upon rapidly, and in either case blood is never a good thing.

Btw, blood from the intestines can be thick and very dark & even black.

OP, I'd be acting rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

I remember as a child my old dog Sandy goin thru exactly what you describe , I dont want to scare you but she died a few days after,it was awful,please get her to a vet NOW.

Or you north county Dublin by any chance?.

Reason I ask is a Vet friend warned me during the week there's been a huge increase in Parvo case's in the area recently. She's not on facebook at the moment, but first thing I thought of was Parvo.

In either case, I wouldn't be waiting around to see. Parvo has to be acted upon rapidly, and in either case blood is never a good thing.

Btw, blood from the intestines can be thick and very dark & even black.

OP, I'd be acting rapidly.

I'm in Cork. I looked up parvo and my dog doesn't get much contact with other dogs, barely any in fact. She's kept on a leash when she's walked and stays in our garden without any contact from other dogs...

That's exactly how you could describe the blood. It has stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Vet. Now. Please! Dont take any chances - your dog cant tell you how it's feeling and it sounds like it's feeling rotten. Don't waste any precious time in getting advice/help. Keep us posted:)

Shazanne wrote: »
    Vet. Now. Please! Dont take any chances - your dog cant tell you how it's feeling and it sounds like it's seeling rotten. Don't waste any precious time in getting advice/help. Keep us posted:)

She's as happy as ever before atm, running about the place. I really don't think I'll be able to get a vet out before tomorrow morning.

I feel like an awful pet owner but I'm only 16 so it's really up to my parents on what to do and they've gone now. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Had a pup that had a tapeworm, she was thin to begin with as we thought maybe she was a sighthound mix so didnt worry at first then she had dark blood coming from behind so took her to the vet who also didnt know what was wrong said maybe it was an upset stomach. a few visits later he gave her a strong worming and a few days later a long worm came out in her poo:P

He also said if the blood was dark colour it is not very serious but if it was bright red it would indicate internal bleeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

M&S* wrote: »
    I feel like an awful pet owner but I'm only 16 so it's really up to my parents on what to do and they've gone now. :(:(

Don't stress too much about it, but if symptoms persist you should advise your parents to take the dog to the Vets first thing tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

She's as happy as ever before atm, running about the place. I really don't think I'll be able to get a vet out before tomorrow morning.

Gosh - I had no idea you were only 16! Dont feel bad - you're not a bad pet owner, not in any way at all. You were concerned enough to come on here to seek advice and help - fair play to you for that:)
    Do encourage your parents to have the dog checked out as soon as possible:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm in Cork. I looked up parvo and my dog doesn't get much contact with other dogs, barely any in fact. She's kept on a leash when she's walked and stays in our garden without any contact from other dogs...

That's exactly how you could describe the blood. It has stopped now.

Is your dog vaccinated against the Parvo Virus?
    It doesn't matter if your dog never even sees another dog the virus can survive in the ground for months after an infected dog soils it. Your dog can come in contact with it by sniff this area or you can bring it home on your shoe, heck even a fly landing on infected fecal matter and then landing on your dog can transmit it. Parvo has a v.distinctive smell, you'll know it if you smell it and you won't ever forget it believe me.
    The most important thing you can do until you can get your dog to a vet is keep it hydrated, even if it's not Parvo she will become dehydrated if she is being sick and has diarrhea. Best of luck, hope she feels better soon.

Advertisement