Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some midi advice needed

Options
  • 12-09-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

right, I have an iMac with logic 8, ableton 8 and reason 4 only machine

I use an akai mpk61 and apc40 and would like to use the keyboard on logic and the apc40 on ableton but when I have the 2 programs rewired the transport buttons operate both programs at same time

I know there's a way of using both controllers seperately by messing with the midi settings thru both programs

has anybody the basics for me?

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

If Ableton is rewired, then it's getting the information from logic - so maybe the transport information can be filtered there and sync removed and then ableton can use the key mapping to assign stop/starts to what ever buttons - BUT, why on earth would you want ableton to be out of sync?

There might be a simpler solution for what you are trying to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

well that's just it you see, I'm not 100% sure what I'm at as I've limited knowledge,

I hope to create a tune using ableton and logic, obviously logic is master and ableton is rewired into it, thing is that I'm working on a simple kick drum loop in ableton and when I press play in ableton it automaticly starts the logic playing too! is that right and do I have to maybe mute all tracks in logic except the aux channel so can take a listen to the drum loop and whatever else coming from ableton on it's own

so what I'm hoping to do is keep the apc40 exclusive for ableton so can trigger drum loops, pads, etc and then have the mpk61 for logic playing the synths and arpegiated loops while layering extra drums over the whole mix with the mpc pads

i'm aware that there are common channels on midi units which means that when I trigger something on the apc40 it also sends a midi signal to logic also

there is an option to split the akai mpk61 keys between logic and say
    reason but that's a whole different days work!

confused

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Elevator wrote: »
    well that's just it you see, I'm not 100% sure what I'm at as I've limited knowledge,

I hope to create a tune using ableton and logic, obviously logic is master and ableton is rewired into it, thing is that I'm working on a simple kick drum loop in ableton and when I press play in ableton it automaticly starts the logic playing too! is that right and do I have to maybe mute all tracks in logic except the aux channel so can take a listen to the drum loop and whatever else coming from ableton on it's own

so what I'm hoping to do is keep the apc40 exclusive for ableton so can trigger drum loops, pads, etc and then have the mpk61 for logic playing the synths and arpegiated loops while layering extra drums over the whole mix with the mpc pads

i'm aware that there are common channels on midi units which means that when I trigger something on the apc40 it also sends a midi signal to logic also

there is an option to split the akai mpk61 keys between logic and say
    reason but that's a whole different days work!

confused

It sounds like you need logic to stop receiving the transport messages first off - then only when you play logic will Ableton start - i'm no logic expert, so either hit the manuals or hit logic support (that's why you pay for it) - unless there's someone doing the same thing here.

So best stick in a ticket while you wait with logic just in case.

Once you can keep ableton separate, then you should be able to assign the akai stuff in a custom way via the key mapping hopefully.

Advertisement