Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werder Breman V Tottenham match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

2-2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

For fear I get accused of aftertiming post-game, I think we should have brought Gallas on for Corluka and put Kaboul at RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

Looks like Harry is goin to settle for the draw bringing on Palacious for Lennon although Lennon was not in the game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

How have we been playing since the goal went in? I've had to go out :(

Almost another brainfart from Benny there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How did he miss!

How did nobody finish that? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

All it needed was a touch for us to go up 3-2, superb ball again by Bale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sweet Jesus

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Full time. 2-2. If you had said that we'd get a point out of the game before hand, i'd have taken it. But given how in control we were in the 1st half, and the two blatant missed chances in the 2nd, i feel a bit disappointed.

Still though, its a point away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Defo would have taken a point before the game. Should be able to handle
    these guys at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

a great result for us lads in fairness . most played well tonight and special mention has to go to kaboul and jenas. kaboul in particular was outstanding i thought. if someone offere 2-2 before the game we would have taken it

id also like to say that corluka has to be replaced . he is gone from bad to worse. he cant run, defend or attack in fairness. he left marin in acers of space in the second half about 20 mins in and marin shot just wide. corluka is a poor player

reckless suggested putting kaboul rb to replace him, good idea but he was playing so good at CB it was a hard call to make. walker gone on loan and no sign of naughton so looks like corluka will have to keep playing

our whole right side is gone very ineffective. wilson was better out there than lennon was, and who said he couldnt split a defense with a pass, he split it wide open with his ball to crouch :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭larry1

Happy enough to be honest. Jenas was fantastic (not often i've said that)

Assou-Ekotto :eek::(:mad:

Who got motm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Good point. Obviously felt differently at 2 zip, but all in all I'll take it. Twente at home is a must win now.

I thought Kaboul and Crouch were excellent.
    The 2 full backs were very shaky for me, especially Charlie.

I'd have kept Walker and started to groom him now, in the likes of this Saturdays game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Happy enough with the result,I thought Kaboul played very well at CB tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Good point. Obviously felt differently at 2 zip, but all in all I'll take it. Twente at home is a must win now.

I thought Kaboul and Crouch were excellent.
    The 2 full backs were very shaky for me, especially Charlie.

I'd have kept Walker and started to groom him now, in the likes of this Saturdays game.
    what about hutton? champions league experience with the huns.....

used to really like corluka but seriously he is getting worse than worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

kaboul, bale jenas van de vaart and crouch were very good tonight. cudicini was good for the saves he made but questionable about the first goal( ball was headed on the six yard line)

think reckless said it before the game. great line up from harry IMO. made changes and i think it paid off with jenas. i thought he was good.

disappointed with keane. i thought he would have been out to stamp a name for himslef but i suppose with them being relativly camped in our half when he came on he could contribute too much.

great pouint pitty inter drew(unless u fancy us to win the group:) ). gives twente a point i didnt expect them to get.

Positive tonight, I promise...

VDV is superb, he is just a smashing player. His movement, and vision, will be the difference between us and our opponents so many times this season, and if he'd stayed on we'd have taken all 3 points.

Crouch did a very effective job up top with VDV behind him, he suffered a little when Rafa had to go off though.

Bale on the left ;)

Jenas had a great game, as did Thudd.

Lennon was better than the weekend, still lacking confidence going forward though.

Benny was Jekyll and Hyde, cracking display until their first then had a couple of brainfarts. Still our best option at LB if it means Bale at LM, and the two of them combining for the 1st was a great example of that. Benny still needs to stay switched on for 90 minutes.

King and particularly Kaboul very solid at CB, Younes was a rock.

Cudicini was good, still think he's a tad too attached to his line but did well with the ball tipped over the bar.

Corluka is my only main gripe, far too laid back throughout, he lacks pace but needs to be quicker in thought.

Keane...I feel sorry for the guy, don't think he is sharp enough any more, very sad to see.

Finally, Wilson had a very good cameo, and he really solidified things on the right (which is why I'd suggested Gallas for Corluka earlier)...just that one bad pass right at the end...;)

All in all, we'd have taken 1pt before the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Disappointed in the end with the result , but would have bitten your hand off for a draw before game kicked off , gotta say lads i'd rather play with 10 men than have keano in our side , his waving of the hands in the air i cant take anymore, w'eve outgrown him tbh, he belongs in scotland , van der vaart looks utter quality , twente must win game now at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I said before hand that I'd take the draw.

I guess if I was honest now I'd say I'm slightly disappointed. We should have been going in at Half-time at least 3-0. Mistake by BAE led to the Werder attack that made it 1-2. I also though Cudicini could have been stronger and come out to claim or punch for the cross.

Their man Marin looked dangerous but that was it really. I understand Harry being a little cautious, especially after our away leg to Young Boys, but a more positive approach for the 90 minutes should have seen us get all 3 points.

Still, if we can win the home games and get the draws away then we should be looking at progressing from the league stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

A point is a fine result, disappointing after being 2 up but I'll take it.

I thought Kaboul, Bale and Jenas were excellent, and Crouch had a good first half. Corluka and Assou-Ekotto are our weak links and will be exploited by better teams, although Charlie didn't get much help from Lennon - who was poor also. We were too open at times in the second half, due to having Bale and Lennon hogging the touchlines, this improved when Palacios came on. He helped Corluka to shut down Marin, and was actually more effective going forward than Lennon.

I thought Keane did well when he came on.. he worked hard and kept possesion in their half when we were struggling to get out of our own half at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Fair play to the Spurs. A point away from home in our first game is not so bad at all. The conditions weren't great but the lads handled it well. I think the main thing is that all the team put in a good shift and as fans thats all we want to see really. With the Inter game finishing 2-2 everything is all square.

On another note I think Lennon is in need of a break. I don't think it helps him having Charlie behind him as he doesn't really try to get across the half way line.

Good to see JJ playing well in the midfield, at least it gives Harry the option of playing Wilson at right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Like a lot here I'm happy with the point, though disapointed that it came after us being 2 up. Decent start though. I was impressed with Jenas, Kaboul, King, Thudd, Bale, VDV and Crouch. Lennon, Corluka and although he started well BAE, were poor, with Benny's rubbish clearance providing the throw-in that they got their first goal with.

Keane was rubbish. He's fine dropping deep and taking the ball before laying it off, but he's just rubbish as a striker. He's not sharp, not switched on, and doesn't seem to have even the passing ability that's needed. At one stage he ran offside for so long that our entire attack broke down!

Wilson did well when he came on and had that lovely pass for Crouch where he should've scored.

Overall I thought it was a good performance though, and I have no complaints walking away from there with a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ryano77

great result but disappointed we didn't hang on for the win. still a point away from home is decent and we could have still stole it at the end. suprised to see jenas come in from the cold but he played well. lennon was quiet again and he seems to be in bales shadow these days. i hope he gets firing again soon because we will be unstoppable down the wings if both are in form. We just need to get the finger out now and start performing in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I dont know how many more games its going to take people to realise Keane is out of his depth at Spurs. I know I've said it before but he never shuts up complaining which annoys me a lot more than him pulling out of the 50-50 challenges.
    Great performance from the lads for 70 mins, thought Charlie was poor but I've heard a lot about that Marin lad, apparently he's gonna be a star. Bale was, as usual these days, out-standing. Benoit had a good game apart from that howler of a cross-field pass. JJ also proved a point, hopefully he'll get more game time this season. Very happy overall with the draw, considering the Inter result.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

Happy with the point though we could have won this game. Lennons confidence must be at a real low and i hope he can regain it soon and go on those runs where you feel he can beat anybody. Charlie lacked the pace to cope with Marin and i hope this is addressed in the home game. Jenas, Kaboul, King, Thudd, Bale, VDV and Crouch were all excellent especially VDV and Kaboul. Superb cameo from Wilson as he shut up shop and that wee thru ball was superb!

VDV was subbed because of a tight calf hopefully he'll be ok for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Before the game i was hoping for a draw , after 42 mins i though we would win handy , after 48 mins i was back to square one hoping for a draw .

Typical Spurs they never do anything the easy way, once again our left back with his stupid cross field pass which found nothing but the sideline that led up to there goal, cost us another.As for our right -back i think my ma could run faster than him. Was Lennon playing ?

Well played though to Kaboul , bale , crouchy and vdv .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Keane...I feel sorry for the guy, don't think he is sharp enough any more, very sad to see.

You need to be playing games to be sharp, he's far from finished.

Advertisement