Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you go from a level 5 FáS course to a 3rd level IT?

• 12-09-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I have a friend who can do a level 5 PLC this year, and I've made sure he can go to college next year if he does it.

But now he's tempted to go to FáS because of the money, but I don't think it's the right choice.

If he can get a level 5 FáS course this year, can he apply to colleges next year?
    Is it just as good as the PLC?

He has no formal Irish exams like a Leaving Cert. or anything.

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

SirDarren wrote: »
    I have a friend who can do a level 5 PLC this year, and I've made sure he can go to college next year if he does it.
    But now he's tempted to go to FáS because of the money, but I don't think it's the right choice.

If he can get a level 5 FáS course this year, can he apply to colleges next year?

What do you mean by the I've made sure he can go to college next year if he does it'. Do you mean that there is a college that will accept his PLC qualifications for a course, provided they are good enough?

You would really have to approach colleges on the same basis to enquire about FAS. Not all colleges will accept FETAC results for all courses, presumably the same applies to FAS and PLC, but its the FETC bit that matters. The only way to be sure is to ask them. Some PLCs have agreements with ITs about what they will accept.

Also check the FAS course to make sure it is a full certificate of 8 modules including work experience and communications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

looksee wrote: »
    but its the FETAC bit that matters.

Also check the FAS course to make sure it is a full certificate of 8 modules including work experience and communications.

It's the award (FETAC Level 5) that matters, not who provides it. As long as you have a full award (8 modules), you can apply to progress to college through the Higher Education Links scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

SirDarren wrote: »

At the end of the day it's your friend that's making the choice, you can't force him to do anything regardless of what you think of his decision. As deemark said, once it's a full Level 5 certificate it doesn't matter where he got it.

Advertisement