Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble displaying web page but connection is fine

• 12-09-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

No matter what browser i use, more often than not web pages will not load. Sometimes they do, but very slowly and the odd time they load immediately. The broadband connection is fine (wireless and cable). Also, I have no issues using another computer with this connection.

Have an Acer Aspire 5741 running Win7.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Switch off ,disconnect either the wifi,or ethernet,cable, Pcs can only use one connection to acess the net,or turn off wireless switch,
    in the browser ,click, internet options,network,lan settings,make sure the 3 tick boxs are empty,not ticked,ie use proxy settings,tickbox=empty.
    TRY DOWNLOAD,INSTALL,CHROME BROWSER, it should setup its net connection
    automatically.
    NO POINT in have pc wifi turned on,when connected to an ethernet cable,going to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Maybe install something like fiddler (www.fiddler2.com), and it should be able to debug your web requests to see where about your problem lies in web pages loading.
    If you want any help using it, let me know.

Also see if you can install a tool called winmtr (http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/) , it will tell you where problems lie in your network connection to whatever site you are trying to access e.g. is it your router, your ISP, DNS etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoin_mulhern

try setting dns to manual.

start>control panal >network and sharing centre>change adapter setting>right click on LAN/wireless network connections>properties> highlight internet protocol version 4>properties>use the following dns server address

Then set

prefered dns to 8.8.8.8
    alternate dns to 8.8.4.4

these are googles dns addresses

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Thanks for the replies guys, i'll see what the story is next weekend as the problem is only when I'm down the country using my folks connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 itmonkey

try setting dns to manual.

start>control panal >network and sharing centre>change adapter setting>right click on LAN/wireless network connections>properties> highlight internet protocol version 4>properties>use the following dns server address

Then set

prefered dns to 8.8.8.8
    alternate dns to 8.8.4.4

these are googles dns addresses

Try checking any other internet connected devices on the network and see if they are having the same problems. I've had this problem with my laptop for months now and I can't pinpoint the problem. All other computers in the network are fine but my laptop keeps dying.
    When I can't connect I can ping any IP address but the browser won't display web pages. I've added the DNS settings manually (as well as on my router) but I still have the same problem.

Let me know if you fins a resolution to this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

still no resolution, also - everything is fine when I use this laptop on other networks without any change in settings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

If you continuous ping something like www.google.ie (open a command prompt and type "ping -t www.google.ie") do you see uneven response times? Dropped pings? It sounds like you're dropping a lot of packets .

Another idea: Try booting the PC with an Ubuntu CD and go to "Live CD" mode. It should definitely recognise the LAN card and maybe the WiFi as well. Try browsing the Web from within Ubuntu - if you see the same problems, it has to be hardware. If it's okay, then it might be a problem with your W7 setup.

You say other PCs on the same connection work fine - have you tried swapping the switch ports around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Have you tried connecting via ethernet cable where the wireless doesn't work? Some wireless devices just don't get on with each other.

Advertisement