Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflatible Kayak from Lidl - Any good?

Options
  • 12-09-2010 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My daughter used one of these before and has been waiting for them to come on sale in Lidl again so she can buy one...Has anyone got one or had experience of them? This would be her first Kayak and she's a beginner!

Thanks,

digger2d2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

I'm going to get one myself, can't afford a proper sea kayak till next year :(

It looks fine for calm seas, you'd want to be careful in rough weather though, not recommended.

Have a read of this thread, it seems to be the same kayak & has a detailed review from someone who bought a couple. http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4585-kayak-at-lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I would not recommend ANYONE to buy one of these, they are very dodgy, and i wouldn't go near water in one. Buy a sit on top if you want it for messing about on the sea. IMO lidl shouldnt even be allowed sell them, inflatable kayaks shouldnt be allowed.

I kinda agree, I want to go fishing off dalkey island on mine, I woudn't even think about it in one of these, I'll be getting a 13' Ocean Kayak prowler for that.

These things are only toys really, you'll need a PFD and know what your doing. Not recommended for salt water, especially for someone inexperienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

I would not recommend ANYONE to buy one of these, they are very dodgy, and i wouldn't go near water in one. Buy a sit on top if you want it for messing about on the sea. IMO lidl shouldnt even be allowed sell them, inflatable kayaks shouldnt be allowed.

Easy there Tiger stop the scaremongering!

In main land Europe inflatable kayaks are very popular, I was quiet surprised when I first got a chance to have a go.

Be aware that these are best suited to very sheltered safe environments and in no way should be taken to sea / coastal or tidal areas.

With any watercraft the wearing of a correctly sized and fitted Personal Floatation Device is necessary and should always be used. I would also suggest that some quality instruction form someone suitably experienced will go a great way to helping you enjoy your time on the water.

Adrain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Easy there Tiger stop the scaremongering!

In main land Europe inflatable kayaks are very popular, I was quiet surprised when I first got a chance to have a go.

Be aware that these are best suited to very sheltered safe environments and in no way should be taken to sea / coastal or tidal areas.

With any watercraft the wearing of a correctly sized and fitted Personal Floatation Device is necessary and should always be used. I would also suggest that some quality instruction form someone suitably experienced will go a great way to helping you enjoy your time on the water.

Adrain

I text a guy I know who bought a couple of these a few years ago for his opinion and he said he has two I can have for free as he's another couple of 'proper' kayaks now...That works out well as my Daughter can now concentrate of spending her money on a pfd and he can give us pointers as to where is very safe to use in the country....Don't mind where I have to travel as I'm keen to get her outdoors and away from the TV !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

digger2d2 wrote: »
    ..Don't mind where I have to travel as I'm keen to get her outdoors and away from the TV !

good attitude my friend. perhaps look into getting her into a kayak club? they usually provide equipment, training and a peer group. all three are pretty important to the continued interest and success of people in kayaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

i went down class 3 rapids in se asia on a sit on top inflatable and it behaved great very quick to turn. not good on the sea tho except on calmer days or for messing in the waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Inflatable kayaks are great for certain conditions like calm seas, even choppy sea as they are built for the surf but be extremely careful of kayaking in one against a strong current. I found this out first hand while trying to kayak from Dalkey Island back to Killiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Inflatable deathtraps

blackbelt wrote: »
    Inflatable kayaks are great for certain conditions like calm seas, even choppy sea as they are built for the surf but be extremely careful of kayaking in one against a strong current. I found this out first hand while trying to kayak from Dalkey Island back to Killiney.
    There is very strong currents off dalkey island, on the ebb & flow. You didn't actually make it over & back in an inflatable did you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

whitesands wrote: »
    There is very strong currents off dalkey island, on the ebb & flow. You didn't actually make it over & back in an inflatable did you?

Barely whitesands,

I needed the help of a sit on top and a tag rope for my paddle while also paddling behind a little bit.Thank God I didn;t do it on my own.I had reservations about doing it beforehand but a lesson well learned made it worth it I suppose.Took ages to get back.I thought at one stage we would need further assistance.

I tend to stay close to the coast off Killiney and off the beach.I won;t be going near Dalkey sound unless I have the car parked at Coliemore and start off from Killinet beach going down.

Advertisement