Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dull coat

Options
  • 12-09-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

My retrievers coat is pretty dull but he swims in the river almost every day. I've started giving him salmon oil in the last week more so for his joint problem but it's meant to give a shiny coat too. Am I wasting my time trying to get his coat to be shiny if he's diving in for a swim every day? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Rottie swims almost everyday and her coat has a mirror shine, of course it is easier to see a shiny coat on a darker coloured dog.
    Is your pup up to date with his worming? my dogs coats sometimes get a bit dull when they are due a worming.
    My dogs get fish oils everyday on their food and mackerel once a week, keeps their coats nice and shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

tk123 wrote: »
    My retrievers coat is pretty dull but he swims in the river almost every day. I've started giving him salmon oil in the last week more so for his joint problem but it's meant to give a shiny coat too. Am I wasting my time trying to get his coat to be shiny if he's diving in for a swim every day? :pac:
    how aften do you groom the dog??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Seven seas/Vitapet do a coat conditioner oil I found it works even better than feeding fish. There's a shampoo called Bow Wow Bouquet and it's pricey and you prob. don't need to wash your dog much but it's great for leaving a sheen on their coat even if their coat gets wet. Will only last so long I guess but just say if you're taking him somewhere and you want him to be looking his best it's a lovely shampoo. Website heart on paw sell it.

It will take a few weeks for the salmon oil to show any benifit to his coat so see how he goes on it over the next few weeks perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys I'll wait a few more weeks and see how he gets on with the salmon oil. Pokertalk - I brush him nearly every day but wouldn't actually give him a bath with shampoo etc unless he gets really smelly/rolls in something gross - no more than once a month - usually if he rolls in something i'll let him have a swim and if it doesn't wash off i'd just wash the area with a face cloth.

Advertisement