Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling fan on Acer Aspire Revo 3610 dead

Options
  • 12-09-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I'm looking for advice. I have a 6 month old Acer Aspire Revo 3610 and the cooling fan has stopped working. For a while before it stopped it went from being quite to being noisey. Despite breaking my warrenty I opened up the Revo to see if the connections were ok and to see if I needed to clear a bit of dust from the fan. No joy unfortunately. The Revo will now just run for a while before it over heats and turns off.

Here is a link to the insides of the Revo.

Any advice?

(Also I've tried to use Acer support but found it very difficult to log a case with the - if anyone has experience of this as well I'd appreciate it)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Silly! Now you've turned your Revo into a brick! :o

Acer support is an utter nightmare, but it was your only chance at getting this fixed. Now you're minus a warranty and will have to hope and pray some replacement Revo coolers appear in eBay so you can attempt to fix it yourself. I wouldn't trust second-hand ones either, as the fan used on the Revo is an utter PoS :o

Depending on how the stock fan attaches to the nasty little heatsink the Revo has you might have the option to use a fan off a "short-barreled" slot cooler, possibly even a dual-slot one. This method would be a lot cheaper and could even give you better and much quieter cooling than the horrid stock fan but this route is only for the dedicated DIYers as it would require significant amounts of Dremel Time :o:o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 runcowboy

You said it. I am never messing inside products again. This is a real pain now. I'll persevere with Acer and try to shame them a bit on facebook as well. Thanks for the advice. :o
    Solitaire wrote: »
    Silly! Now you've turned your Revo into a brick! :o

Acer support is an utter nightmare, but it was your only chance at getting this fixed. Now you're minus a warranty and will have to hope and pray some replacement Revo coolers appear in eBay so you can attempt to fix it yourself. I wouldn't trust second-hand ones either, as the fan used on the Revo is an utter PoS :o

Depending on how the stock fan attaches to the nasty little heatsink the Revo has you might have the option to use a fan off a "short-barreled" slot cooler, possibly even a dual-slot one. This method would be a lot cheaper and could even give you better and much quieter cooling than the horrid stock fan but this route is only for the dedicated DIYers as it would require significant amounts of Dremel Time :o:o:p

Don't badmouth them too much on Facebook or Acer'll simply tell them to ban you :eek:

I think I'll be able to sort out the fan but I have to say the support channel that Acer run is like a brick wall. I think when you go to the trouble of buying a product of someone the least they can do is give you decent service. As a result I'd be loath to buy another Acer product. (Let's not talk about me voiding my warranty though :o )
    Solitaire wrote: »
    Don't badmouth them too much on Facebook or Acer'll simply tell them to ban you :eek:

Oh happy memories... :p If you want to badmouth Acer then attack their support, everyone knows its beyond crappy :pac: Back when I had that "job" thingy, oh the joy I had trying to talk to Acer about the products customers bought off us that promptly landed back on our doorstep borked - put my ex-boss off Acer for life! :o

• Advertisement

Got a new fan from some mad place in canada and installed it. Revo working well again and fan is totally silent.

PHEW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fusion75

I have the same problem my Revo fan died. I bought mine refurbed so the warranty was out already when it went. Can you post the specs of the fan you bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

fusion75 wrote: »
    I have the same problem my Revo fan died. I bought mine refurbed so the warranty was out already when it went. Can you post the specs of the fan you bought?

Going by this photo im seeing the following serial numbers: link

HI.10800.047
    NBT-PCHORNET-B

That's throwing up some results on google. Ive never taken apart a laptop fan so I don't know if you can get down to a bare motor without breaking something. But if you could, it would be a very easy fix, the motor itself (not the fan or surrounding assembly) should be a very standarised part.

Best of luck anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fusion75

Thanks !! Its glued in there. I broke the fan trying to get it apart :) but this seems like its the right one

Acer Aspire 3610, 5550 TM 2410 CPU Cooling Fan Assy
    $25.29

140.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jlim0930

Can you tell me where you guys were able to order the replacement fan from ? I am in texas and i've looked everywhere using the serial of the fan and also the SUNON tag from the fan itself and all of the places i found were in Canada and they did not want to ship to the US or if they did wanted $40 or more to ship.

Please let me know!!

Thanks

• Advertisement

runcowboy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for advice. I have a 6 month old Acer Aspire Revo 3610 and the cooling fan has stopped working. For a while before it stopped it went from being quite to being noisey. Despite breaking my warrenty I opened up the Revo to see if the connections were ok and to see if I needed to clear a bit of dust from the fan. No joy unfortunately. The Revo will now just run for a while before it over heats and turns off.

Here is a link to the insides of the Revo.

Any advice?

(Also I've tried to use Acer support but found it very difficult to log a case with the - if anyone has experience of this as well I'd appreciate it)

Thanks

Got mine from Canada, had to pay the extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jlim0930

runcowboy wrote: »
    Got mine from Canada, had to pay the extra

do you know which site ? many sites have it listed but they are not in stock.

Thanks!

Advertisement