Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock the Ticket! Campaign for clear and fair ticket pricing

Options
  • 12-09-2010 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

Hope this is the right place for this...

Like many here, I like my live music and go to quite a few gigs, a few a month, I'd
    say.

I enjoy the night out and all that, but the one thing that drives me mad every time is how they advertise ticket prices. One price is shown at first, but then all the extra charges are thrown on and I hate the way I never know the final price until I'm right at the last stage of buying tickets.

Its really frustrating not just to be able to see a final price at the start, make a decision on whether to go or not. I don't know why there has to be this big mystery about what the couple of tickets are going to cost when it comes to time to pay.

Anyway, Ive setup a Facebook page called Rock the Ticket where I'm trying to start a campaign to get a final ticket price which includes all the charges shown up front.

I really think something needs to be changed on this - if you feel the same please visit www.facebook.com/RockTheTicket and 'Like' us to spread the word!

Thanks,

RTT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What is the real issue here - is it the way that the way that they advertise ticket prices or that the service charges are too expensive?

I'm guessing that it's the latter.

I don't agree that there are any hidden charges. All the additional charges can be calculated from the web site and are normally clearly stated on print advertising. TM has been around for a long time so I don't think anybody can be surprised by additional service charges added to the cost of a ticket.

Would the all in price be a good way to go? I don't think so. Firstly, it is difficult to put down an "all in price" as there are a few variables - number of tickets bought, cash or credit card and even sometimes where the ticket is bought.

Secondly, if we are to have some competition and hopefully drive down service charges then we need to have transparent pricing. If we have more than one ticket seller then we need to know how much each charge for the various services. If we have "all in pricing" then it's tempting for competitors to match the market leaders pricing or just drop it by a few cent.

Ideally, what we should be calling for is not "all in pricing" but for a requirement for promoters to use more than one ticketing agent. These would have to meet a minimum acceptable standard and be bonded (preferably) - thus providing security for both the promoter and the ticket buyer.

So if we had competing ticket agents we would, in theory, see more downward pressure on the pricing of the various service charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

First of all, fair play to you. I've signed up and will ask my friends to.
    BrianD wrote: »
    What is the real issue here - is it the way that the way that they advertise ticket prices or that the service charges are too expensive?

The way prices are advertised is not clear at all. The TM service charges are very expensive too but the issue is really the way pricing of tickets is misleading. There's been a fair bit of grumbling on Jim Carroll's blog about this recently.
    Would the all in price be a good way to go? I don't think so. Firstly, it is difficult to put down an "all in price" as there are a few variables - number of tickets bought, cash or credit card and even sometimes where the ticket is bought.

Well the additional services have to be stated by law on the advertising so why not include them in the price - I think one of the main promoters was taken to court over not stating the additional fees some years ago.

Promoters could simply state an online price and a retail price instead of stating an additional online service fee and retail fee. You know the text saying that online tickets are subject to 12.5% service charge and retail agents €2.50 per ticket - just advertise it in the price, it's the same for all shows.
    Secondly, if we are to have some competition and hopefully drive down service charges then we need to have transparent pricing. If we have more than one ticket seller then we need to know how much each charge for the various services. If we have "all in pricing" then it's tempting for competitors to match the market leaders pricing or just drop it by a few cent.

I think all-in pricing would be transparent.
    These would have to meet a minimum acceptable standard and be bonded (preferably) - thus providing security for both the promoter and the ticket buyer.

I think so too. I only buy tickets from the two main agents and avoid these 'self service' websites like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Promoters could simply state an online price and a retail price instead of stating an additional online service fee and retail fee. You know the text saying that online tickets are subject to 12.5% service charge and retail agents €2.50 per ticket - just advertise it in the price, it's the same for all shows.

Online, tickets are subject to 12.5% service charge, but many events will have more than one ticket price, depending on where seats are located, and whether there is a difference in price between seating and standing.
    Also, for most events, outlet service charge is €2.25 per ticket, some events are €2.40, and occasionally they'll vary otherwise too. In addition to that, the Stephen's Green Shopping Centre outlet does not charge service charge on many (but not all) events.

In other words, the advertising poster (for example) can read the way it is now:
    e.g.
    Tickets from €39.50
    Online bookings subject to 12.5% service charge
    Outlet sales subject to €2.25 service charge

Or it could read the way you'd prefer it:
    e.g.
    Ticket prices:
    Online: €44.45; €50.63; €55.70
    At outlets: €41.75; €47.25; €51.75

While I'm sure you're an intelligent person, most people are not, and advertisers don't care about printing all aspects of information regarding a concert on a poster. Nothing in the first example is a lie, it's just written in fine print, which most people don't bother to read. That's their own fault entirely. Putting a series of prices on the ad is pointless too: people will still expect top level seats for the lowest price written on the ad.

Advertisement