Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Rhubarb Supplier

Options
  • 12-09-2010 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Its the end of the rhubarb season now so i am trying to find a supplier of frozen rhubarb. Its for rhubarb tarts.
    I've done a bit of googling on it but i've had no luck. The restaurants must get it somewhere!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Some would say that the rhubarb season only really last for the first 4 weeks of the crop then its gets too tart after that. What kind of quantity are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Let's not forget forced rhubarb. The season for that lasts way longer than 4 weeks.

OP - Sorry, can't help with your initial query. Maybe check out the manufacturers of rhubarb tarts in your local shop and call to see where they source theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Corsendonk and Hill Biilly, thanks for your replies. I didn't come across anything on line apart from a juice bar supplier. I think i will ask in some of the restaurants in town next.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Yumee

Hi Eimear,

A company called 'Boyan's Fruit Farm' supply frozen rhubarb, I got some in Tesco. They have a website www.boylanfruits.ie.

Happy cooking:)

Boylans is prob your best bet. Most of the rhubarb tarts in shops are made by a small number of bakeries, all that alot of shop "bakeries" do is part bake the tart so they most likely don't know the supplier of the rhubarb and food companies don't like to give that info out especially if your going to compete against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yep, I have seen boylans in my tesco and it shows on the tesco website, 1.99 for 500g frozen

Your right, just checked Tesco online. Not sure if they are in my local branch but the bigger ones would surely have it. Thanks for the help guys.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eimearcmh wrote: »
    Your right, just checked Tesco online. Not sure if they are in my local branch
    In another thread a guy told me when you check tesco online it recognises your clubcard number and so knows your address and all items are what is in your local store -otherwise you could add unavailable stuff your basket, as that is what the website is really intended for.

Dunno if it is true but sounds sensible.

rubadub wrote: »
    In another thread a guy told me when you check tesco online it recognises your clubcard number and so knows your address and all items are what is in your local store -otherwise you could add unavailable stuff your basket, as that is what the website is really intended for.

Dunno if it is true but sounds sensible.

I often look at the special offers on line before i go shopping in store...it helps me focus and i like to have a list with me:P. A few weeks ago i saw Liga cookies online that were on special offer. I've a sweet tooth so i was going to buy them as a replacement to other cookies. (I figured those cookies had to be healthier than the Maryland ones. They are for tots so how bad could they be:D). I went into the Tesco store and looked everywhere, but no luck. Anyway long story short, i asked one of the staff and they checked and came back to me and said that sometimes what they have online is different to what they have in store. Bummer....

Ended up getting the Maryland ones!

eimearcmh wrote: »
    I've a sweet tooth so i was going to buy them as a replacement to other cookies. (I figured those cookies had to be healthier than the Maryland ones. They are for tots so how bad could they be:D). I went into the Tesco store and looked everywhere, but no luck. Anyway long story short, i asked one of the staff and they checked and came back to me and said that sometimes what they have online is different to what they have in store. Bummer....

Ended up getting the Maryland ones!

Liga is normally in the babyfood section. Online doesn't tell you if the product is out of stock thats why they have the tick box for to sub items not in stock.

Back on topic, if you use a small quantity of rhubarb you could aways freeze it yourself during the season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I just wanted to add (for next year's rhubarb season) that you can freeze rhubarb without cooking it - cut it up, freeze it on trays and then put it in bags when it's frozen.

I just wanted to add (for next year's rhubarb season) that you can freeze rhubarb without cooking it - cut it up, freeze it on trays and then put it in bags when it's frozen.

I've found that freezing rhubard when its raw works well. I didn't have the space in the freezer this year to do it but i'll make sure there is for next year.

Advertisement