Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD upload speed

Options
  • 12-09-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

What is the average upload speed you get over wifi in UCD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I can't remember exactly what they are.

All I remember is that there are two different networks:

Eduroam and UCDserver (?)

Eduroam is quite fast. The other pretty slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

edit Eduroam is available in a few places including comp sci and looks like you have to set it up with your your student id and password.

Do you reckon UCD would complain if I uploaded my backed up music while on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

That's not quite accurate. UCD wireless is basically as fast as the UCD wireless routers can handle. At exam time, in the library - that will be slow. Any other time, it will be fast. The routers are 802.11b, generally, which can give out up to 7mb/s. Some might be 802.11g, which are about 8 times faster.

Eduroam is a totally different system, which is only in a very few places in UCD, and requires registration, and usernames and passwords. It is fast, because it does not have many users, compared to the main UCD wireless.

If you need a lot of bandwidth, you can use a wired ethernet socket. Bear in mind that UCD generally block anything that isn't plain web traffic - so no filesharing, non web email clients, skype, etc.

would it block uploading to adive.com?

I know downloading gigs worth of files would get them pissed but uploading your own files should be grand?

ye i will test wireless speed on monday but i will prolly end up using ethernet and over the next month (30 2gb zips) so as not to disturb during peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

i checked my download and upload speed in my res last week. It was about 16/17 ms:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    That's not quite accurate. UCD wireless is basically as fast as the UCD wireless routers can handle. At exam time, in the library - that will be slow. Any other time, it will be fast. The routers are 802.11b, generally, which can give out up to 7mb/s. Some might be 802.11g, which are about 8 times faster.

Eduroam is a totally different system, which is only in a very few places in UCD, and requires registration, and usernames and passwords. It is fast, because it does not have many users, compared to the main UCD wireless.

If you need a lot of bandwidth, you can use a wired ethernet socket. Bear in mind that UCD generally block anything that isn't plain web traffic - so no filesharing, non web email clients, skype, etc.

All the routers are the G type on the Wave Lan network. The ones that are on the old B standard are in some of the lecture theaters in the science hub and are operating on a different network.

The reason that the speed is slow sometimes, is there is too many people on the network at once, the bandwidth is divided between everyone on the network. The G routers have a maximum limit of 54mb per second.

Sometimes there can be problems uploading on the wave lan network due to only the http ports being open. Best to upload on the eduroam network where all the ports are open. Eduroam is on the top floor of the library, the physics building and the comp sci building. Even steam works on Eduroam :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

would it block uploading to adive.com?

I know downloading gigs worth of files would get them pissed but uploading your own files should be grand?

ye i will test wireless speed on monday but i will prolly end up using ethernet and over the next month (30 2gb zips) so as not to disturb during peak times.

No one's gonna say anything to you if you download a lot of stuff, so dont worry about that.

Sound ill head out to ucd tomorrow with the hard drive and upload them.

The upload speed is 30 times higher than at home so i can do it in maybe five or so hours as opposed to over a week.

Sound, thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sound ill head out to ucd tomorrow with the hard drive and upload them.

The upload speed is 30 times higher than at home so i can do it in maybe five or so hours as opposed to over a week.

Sound, thanks for the help.

Find an empty comp sci lab during the evening. Plenty of sockets and comfy seats :P

Ohh and use eduroam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

No one's gonna say anything to you if you download a lot of stuff, so dont worry about that.

Not quite true. I was blocked for a week. Had to ring them and make excuses before they let me back on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Ye I will do it around 6 or so some day im out there and ill use eurodram - I couldnt be arsed to use encryption.

Im uploading my music for backup - not much worth the bother to hide, just wanted to know if the would mind me using up the bandwidth/usage.

Cheers people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Isn't eurodram a protected network? How do you get the key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 danmurf

Whats happens when you get blocked ? I am guessing once you entry your user name and password into eduroam it is easy for the IT people to trace you ! as they will then have your details.

ye, but im only uploading my own backup zips.

I will be doing it off peak and I dont see why they would be annoyed tbh.

I will do it sometime down the line as I would need to bring my laptop, charger and the ext harddrive so its a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement