Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Training

Options
  • 12-09-2010 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

So we have 2 new cats. They're about a year old, and they're very nice little critters. They are timid enough, but friendly, and improving every day.

I'm going to try and do the unthinkable and "train" them to a certain extent. As in I don't want them upstairs in the house, and I want them to understand that they can only sit/sleep on their cushions and fleece blankets in the living room and kitchen.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know it's a tough one and they'll always try their hand (paws?) whenever they get a chance, but any tips would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Good luck with that:D
    Cats are smart and can be trained to a certain extent, eg, mine know no matter what they must not get on the table, so they don't(when I'm there, but I'm pretty sure when I'm out they would if they wanted to), but I have 2 cats, 4 cat beds in the house, 2 dog beds and 2 human beds.....guess where the cats like to sleep.....anywhere but the cat beds.

The best way to train a cat not to do something is the whisht sound or clap and "NO" anything to stop them in their tracks, and then distract them.
    They aren't like dogs and don't respond well to positive reinforcement(well they do but then ignore you telling them no nicely).

Keeping them from upstairs really is down to doors. Shut them.

Edited to add, I have trained one of mine to head butt me, climb onto my head while purring and generally annoy me when he wants food.......:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Thanks mymo.

Yup I figured it would be a case of them making a dash for the stairs every chance they've got!! They're improving a bit on sticking to their own beds - or maybe they're just lulling me into a false sense of security!!I'm just trying to avoid having every surface in the house covered in cat hair, and we've had a slight issue with fleas lately aswell.There's so many websites out there saying to minimise disruption for people with allergies, or to avoid fleas etc spreading, confine cats to their own beds/blankets and wash them regularly.

What they don't say is how exactly you go about doing this!!! They're in all the time at the moment, til they get used to us, but we'll let out during the day in a week or so. They'll be in in the evenings and nights though, and I don't really fancy chasing them around the house to persuade them into their own beds....:rolleyes:

Advertisement