Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simlock removal on out-of-contract phone...

Options
  • 12-09-2010 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Opted to go back to payg recently and contacted Meteor for my unlock code and to cancel my billpay account (out of contract for ages)...I was told that they don't have the codes for my model to hand as it's been off their system for some time, and that they would have to contact the manafacturer.
    So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and left it for 3 weeks (till my last billing period was almost up). Still nothing, mailed them back and was told they are still waiting for a reply and that the issue had been "escalated".

At this stage, I've paid an extra month's bill and still don't have a code to remove the simlock: What exactly are my rights here?

The phone(SE k750) is in PWO, but I can only use it on Meteor's network, so that means moving to their payg service until I can unlock the phone.
    TBH at this stage I want nothing to do with Meteor as they don't seem too bothered about supplying the code and letting me move networks, but I want to keep my number and not have to shell out for a new handset.
    If Meteor can't or won't supply the code, do I have any rights on the issue or do they hold all the cards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Depending on the model you can just go to a phone unlocking shop and pay about €10 to get it unlocked. Could be cheaper than another months bill pay. Afaik you can move to meteor pay as you go and then post to another network and keep your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I had a similar situation with Voda a good few years back... Took them about 4 weeks to get the code from SE, but they did get back to me in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Wertz wrote: »
    Opted to go back to payg recently and contacted Meteor for my unlock code and to cancel my billpay account (out of contract for ages)...I was told that they don't have the codes for my model to hand as it's been off their system for some time, and that they would have to contact the manafacturer.

when trying to get two phones unlocked back last year i got the exact same response from meteor customer service despite it being a currently sold model, for my phone i asked how long it would take and they told me it could be upto 3 weeks, i told them i needed it by the next day as my number was already being changed over i was put on hold for 5 minutes and magically they had the code.

my OH was told the same thing so he put me on the phone to them, i calmly explained to the girl mine the day previously had been done in 5 minutes, she claimed she didn't know how they did that, so i asked for the customer service guy i was talking to, ( i knew his name) she again put me on hold and unlocked his phone two minutes later.

if you keep onto them and take the name of the CS agent you are dealing with they should have your phone unlocked in a day at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We moved from Vodafone to Eircom last year, and Vodafone supplied us with the codes for all 3 phones we had on the account within 10 minutes, including instructions for each phone on how to unlock them.

Eircom (Meteor) had such bad customer service that we moved back to Vodafone 6 months later!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i have had awful experiences with meteor trying to get phones unlocked, it is like they are delibrately delaying or just not providing the codes to discourage people from moving network, they made claims that a machine they used to calculate the codes was broken and they were waiting several months for nokia to replace or repair it, tbh sounded like many peoples experience getting phones repaired;)

Advertisement