Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from Yoga?

Options
  • 12-09-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

I am really excited about starting my first class next week. I've done Pilates before and really enjoyed it so I'm wondering what kind of results/changes should I be expecting? Also how much should I practice to get optimal results?

I'm not doing Yoga to lose weight or anything like that, I'm at my happy weight but I could do with strengthening up a bit. My body isn't very firm although it's not fat either if that makes sense. I'm already pretty flexible but obviously could be better. I'd love if my arms were stronger and more toned looking so hopefully that will improve.

Any help would be great ! :)

Comments

My body has been in a pretty bad condition from a culmination of bad posture, sports, and injuries, but yoga does help to get me in control of my own body again. It's not a miracle cure, but it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Kimia wrote: »
    I am really excited about starting my first class next week. I've done Pilates before and really enjoyed it so I'm wondering what kind of results/changes should I be expecting? Also how much should I practice to get optimal results?

I'm not doing Yoga to lose weight or anything like that, I'm at my happy weight but I could do with strengthening up a bit. My body isn't very firm although it's not fat either if that makes sense. I'm already pretty flexible but obviously could be better. I'd love if my arms were stronger and more toned looking so hopefully that will improve.

Great to hear you are starting Yoga! Glad you are excited about it and im sure you won't be a total no0b either having had some pilates behind you. I would imagine most would say practice three times a week, however I find practising at home isnt really the same, I don't push myself harder or for longer on my own.
    My advice to you would be to go to the class and see how you get on and definitely practice some of the easier stuff on your own and build up to it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Kimia wrote: »

I find yoga great as a mental workout as much as a physical workout. It really helps to calm the mind, in my experience. This is why I favour yoga classes in a studio as opposed to in a gym. I find that studios are a nicer environment for practising yoga what with the scented candles and all that that they usually have. Not everyone likes this aspect of yoga though!

There are lots of different styles of yoga - some more vigorous than others! I would suggest trying a few different styles to find the one that suits you best. Sometimes people hate their first yoga class because it's not the right style of yoga for them. If you're looking for a more physical workout, ashtanga or iyengar might be a good match for you. Some studios have offers whereby you can do as many classes as you like for a week/month, which would let you get a feel for the different styles.

Happy bending!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Yoga is another "me time" when I have to focus on one thing only and being a simple creature a man, I don't think about anything else. Just the pain and breathing. And the pain.

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Am loving it so far. Really good for stress-relief. I too love the way it's totally me-time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement