Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-EU accessing maternity care

• 12-09-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping I'll be able to officially join the forum here in the near future. I'm a non-EU national married to an Irishman, and I'm resident in Ireland. I heard somewhere that I'd have to apply to the HSE to avail of public maternity care here, and was wondering if anyone else here had been through this process and could tell me how time consuming/difficult this was.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I've not heard anything about this before.

When I was pregnant I had to fill in a form to apply for combined care at my GP, but thats it. If you are an Irish resident I'm sure you'll be fine.

Have at look at the citizens information website. Its very good and should be able to provide you with all the info you need.

www.citizensinformation.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

As long as you fulfill the 'ordinarily resident' clause (can prove that you have lived/will continue living here for a period of at least one year) and are entitled to live here (ie have an up-to-date visa or have been given leave to remain) you can access the public health service in exactly the same way as an Irish citizen can. All you have to do is register with a GP and have them refer you on to the maternity services. The HSE rarely asks you to prove how long you have been here, if they do, something like a letter from a landlord is sufficient proof. If you have a PPS number this also acts as proof. If you don't currently have a PPS number, register for one now as you will need it for your medical records.

There is no formal process for registering with the HSE, no forms to fill out or anything. Just get a GP, that's it. Then, as far as the maternity services are concerned, unless your partner is entitled to a medical card you will have to pay for visits to your GP up to the 12th week of pregnancy and after 6 weeks post-partum. You will also have to pay for any prescription medicines you might need.

However, you will be entitled to free antenatal care from the 12th week (including GP and antenatal clinic visits) and the birth and 6 weeks after is also covered. Once you go to your GP to have your pregnancy confirmed, s/he will refer you on to your chosen maternity hospital and consultant. The public maternity system is quite good - being a public patient means you are not guaranteed to see the same consultant at every appointment, but in every other respect (scans, level of care, choice of pain relief during labour, emergency care and NICU care if needed) it is no different to semi-private/private care.

You can call the HSE info line on 1850 24 1850.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I am married to an irish citizen also, originally from Canada, there is nothing you need to do any different if you are resident in ireland, you will be treated just like a citizen and get the free public maternity care.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭katkev

I'm a non EU citizen, 40 weeks pregnant. My GP took care of everything. He sent a letter to the hospital, and told me to wait, because i was gonna receive a letter from them (hospital) with all the information and my first appointment. It happened like that, i got this letter, with my first appointment at the hospital, and i also had my scan in my first visit.
    I choose for the combi care, which is once at the hospital and once with the GP.
    It is brilliant if you have a good GP, because the hospital is always packed, and they don't spend much time with you. Your GP will be the one answering all ur questions. (And we have loats...)
    If you can get your partner to go with you at least to your first appointment at the hospital, he will see the scan, and it will be done just once. (you have other scans, but not as detailed as the first one). I am attending the Rotunda, and i think they are very good, including the antenatal classes, especially for who is going to be mum for the first time, and have no experience whatsoever, like me...
    I didn't need to pay for anything, only to show my valid Garda Id.
    I have nothing to complain about...
    Good luck with your pregnancy, take care!!

Advertisement