Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour of Flanders - Anyone interested

• 12-09-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Next years Ronde Van Vlanderen is on Sun April 3, so I am presuming that the sportif is on the Saturday 2nd.

From folks that have done this before, should one book now?
    Anyway, is anyone else interested in doing this (maybe a boardsie trip).
    Flights look to be €90 return.
    Thinking that if we got enough folks going that we could get a van to bring bikes and luggage etc.
    Would probably be a lot cheaper and less stressful than booking bikes onboard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

ROK ON wrote: »
    Next years Ronde Van Vlanderen is on Sun April 3, so I am presuming that the sportif is on the Saturday 2nd.

Thinking that if we got enough folks going that we could get a van to bring bikes and luggage etc.

Two of my mates are doing this next yr not sure how they're getting over, think it was 2 yrs ago last time then done it, will ask them next time i see them, dunno if me or the bike would be able for it, mind u it would be fun though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Looks great, I'd love to this and the Paris-Roubaix in June.

I've very 'provisional' plans to go over with friends, but would be well interested in the whole van thing...are you thinking of shipping the bikes over and flying yeah? I've never flown with the bike and don't particularly like the thoughts of it going on what I've read about people experiences here.

I'm getting a quote of €137 to fly Fri 1st returning Mon 4th on Skyscanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Raam wrote: »
    No.

Ah give over, it cant be that bad if 14000 people do it and many people do it year after year.
    I'm training already. :-)
    Hit the cobbles in Temple Bar a few mornings a week. Quiet easy really. If you have a big ass, it helps to keep the rear wheel stable on the bumpy ground I find.

I'm sure you'll have a blast, I certainly enjoyed many parts of it. Stronger riders definitely do better than skinny-ma-links like myself.

If you go, you gotta do the 160 at least.

It's really well organised. We stayed in Novotel in Ghent, which was 20km from that years start in Oudenaarde. Nice place, very happy to cater for all the cyclists. Lovely buffet breakfast. Plenty of ale houses nearby.

Has the route been released yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

If you have a big ass, it helps to keep the rear wheel stable on the bumpy ground I find.

So that's how Cancellara won it, the whole engine thing was a conspiracy after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Great day out and anyone who loves the sport should definitely do it once at least in their life just to experience the roads and atmosphere!!

Re: registering / signing up.... It's very well organised. You literally role up to the massive start area fill in a form, pay 25 yoyos stick a number on the bike & pedal...

It's great, no faff at all. So don't bother with any pre reg rubbish at all.

Double bar tape, 25mm gyres minimum....
    Cobbles hurt like hell.

And most importantly grab lots of beer on the way round from the cycling mad fans out watching!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi ROK,

I would be interested in taking part.
    Rgds
    Billyhead

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I might be on for this. Any advice Raam on cobbled descents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

el tonto wrote: »

Pray to GOD its not raining!

• Advertisement

There were no real descents on the cobbles. There were certainly a few bits that went down, but I wouldn't call them descents.

I'm not sure I'm the best person to be giving tips on how to ride the cobbles :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's a relief. I'm kind of paranoid about this stuff at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Are you thinking of doing the full 255km or 'just' the 150km event? From what I gather, the first 100-120km of the full distance is flat, windy and pretty boring. It just serves to tire you out a bit before the fun starts. The shorter event takes in all the bergs apart from one of the less well-known tarmac climbs.

That's a relief. I'm kind of paranoid about this stuff at the moment

If the cobbles are wet, DO NOT get out of the saddle. Unless your UCI license says "Professional", all that will happen is that your back wheel will slide out and Belgians will swear at you. Then you are banished to the gutter to walk up the hill in shame. This may or may not have happened to me.

That's me underneath yer man with the Safir shorts.
    16139_192535734091_765669091_2975823_6733837_n.jpg

cantalach wrote: »
    Are you thinking of doing the full 255km or 'just' the 150km event? From what I gather, the first 100-120km of the full distance is flat, windy and pretty boring. It just serves to tire you out a bit before the fun starts. The shorter event takes in all the bergs apart from one of the less well-known tarmac climbs.

There is also a 70km option, which has less hills. We did the 160km. Plenty do the 260km version.

Plan to do 150 not 250.

Thinking of following.
    Fly into Brussels wed. Head toward Flanders at leisure.
    Acclimatize cycle Thur.
    Short cycle to famous bergs on Fri in hope of seeing the pros train.
    Sportif Saturday.
    Eat drink and be merry.
    Sun. Watch race. More eating drinking and merriment.
    Late sunday or early monday head home.
    More interested in getting bike ttansport sorted and accomodation booked by end Oct ti take stress out of it early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well interested, don't bother with the longer route it's super boring unless you absolutely have to see Bruges.

I like the idea of making a weekend out of it too, some of this cycling lark is far too serious!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Well interested, don't bother with the longer route it's super boring unless you absolutely have to see Bruges.

I like the idea of making a weekend out of it too, some of this cycling lark is far too serious!

Dirk. I aim to win this non competitive event. I am already taking language classes in Flemish invective.

Advertisement