Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sites / resources for a beginner

Options
  • 12-09-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Anyone know some good sites / books / resources etc for a beginner? Just trying to get my head around the basics of EDM production but I'm finding it a bit confusing so far.

Right now my plan for a DAW and Midi is Abelton live 8 + Akai 49 key.

Cheers for the help lads, sorry if this crap is posted weekly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

RMD wrote: »
    Anyone know some good sites / books / resources etc for a beginner? Just trying to get my head around the basics of EDM production but I'm finding it a bit confusing so far.

Right now my plan for a DAW and Midi is Abelton live 8 + Akai 49 key.

Cheers for the help lads, sorry if this crap is posted weekly.

Try the sticky a few lines above your post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Try the sticky a few lines above your post ;)

Already had ;)

I'm more really looking along the lines of books or sites aimed totally at beginners, comparison of programmes etc. I haven't even got the kit yet so a load of plug-ins and samples isn't really much use to me yet :pac: Just sites that explain the pure basics of production, the terms, the techniques, the bare essentials so I can start from there.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

RMD wrote: »
    Already had ;)

I'm more really looking along the lines of books or sites aimed totally at beginners, comparison of programmes etc. I haven't even got the kit yet so a load of plug-ins and samples isn't really much use to me yet :pac: Just sites that explain the pure basics of production, the terms, the techniques, the bare essentials so I can start from there.

Thanks.
    every programme will have the same basic functions(ableton,cubase,fruity loops,sonar,logic) so theres no real need for a site comparing them as its simply down to the one you feel most comfotable with.try some demos of them

once you have your programme(or DAW as its called)you can then look for tutorials on stuff like how to make a drum loop.alot of basic information can be applied to all DAW''s

choose a DAW and then ask questions and read the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I would recommend getting a few grinds to start you off if you are a complete beginner to making electronic music.

When I started trying to teach myself Ableton, I spent months at it (though I'll never forget that stuff ha ha!) but decided to do a 2 day course just to have it done properly. Glad I did.

You can save yourself SO much time and hassle by just learning it right for the start.

Youtube is also great for tips and tricks.

Advertisement