Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basal body temperatures

Options
  • 12-09-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Anyone using basal body temperatures to track ovulation?

Ive just started to do this been ttc 2yrs+ now.

been checked out with HARI all clear no obvious 'problems'

my acupuncturist suggested it so im giving it a go. temp dropped on day 11 opk neg temp went up by 0.4 on day 12 and day 13 but opk still neg so am still not sure just yet

anyone else using this method?

best of luck to all those that are trying.... it can be a lonely road...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Are you only testing for ovulation with the prediction sticks once a day? If so you could be missing the surge and therefore not getting the positive opk.

Try taking into account your cervical mucous too. This has to be the right consistency and acidity to accomodate the little swimmers and help them on their way to your egg. It should be an 'egg white' consistency, and you might actually find that you feel a little more 'in the mood' around your fertile time (although I know its hard to feel in the mood at all when you've been ttc for so long that it feels like you're always at it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sarah sinnott

wow thats interesting thanks

i had read LH is higher in the PM and hcg higher in the AM so i was only testing once a day when i got in in the evening

day 14 today but opks neg so far. its been a busy week! altho ive been doing pilates going for acu and am going to try yoga this wk too.... fertility yoga... pulling down the moon is an interesting website. imjust going to try a basic yoga class but she knows i want to focus on fertility...passes the time anyway!

post coital test was fine altho i find it a little hard to check the mucus myself!!!

tryin to keep it all in control and calm ;) .... patience eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I temp, it can be a pain at times. You need to do it as soon as you wake up, and you need to wake up the same time everyday (even weekends!). Temping only confirms ovulation AFTER it has occurred, so keep on using the ovulation tests as you have been doing. Usually my temp dips on ovulation day and then the next day the temp increase begins. This is common and occurs as oestrogen and LH surge to trigger ovulation (they repress your temp). The day after progesterone kicks in and that has a warming effect on the body, hence the temp increase. your temps stay elevated all through teh luteal phase and then start to drop back with the onset of your period.

I used to temp all cycle but it made me neurotic. I used to worry about not taking it when I immediately awoke, and this led me to waking up at all different times BEFORE my alarm time, so it totally negated the benefits. Now what I do is temp from about cycle day 10 and once ovulation is confirmed on my chart (three consecutive high temps triggers the software to pin point the O day) I stop temping. This is much better (for me!)

Good luck ;)

thank you so much

ok so today is day 21 for me i usually have a 32 day cycle

heres how i got on this month...

day 14/15 temp 36.2
    skin immediately noticably softer when im in the shower which i knew about but never tracked before

day 17 temp 36
    pain in left side. uncomfortable to sit down dull ache. POSITIVE LH

day 20 temp 35.5
    day 21 temp 36.7 (jumped 1.2 woo hoo)

did the biz day 17 and 20

we did our best whose to know :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I reckon you ovulated on day 20, so that's great timing! GL!

hey thanks thats all i can do for now! now to pass the time.....:rolleyes:

and best of luck to you too are you long on clomid?

and best of luck to you too are you long on clomid?

just started my second cycle of it today. I was convinced I'd get pregnant on the first go like another poster here, but t'was not to be :(

I'm 16 months ttc now. Am setting a goal to be pregnant by the end of this year, and damn it, I'm gonna do it!
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Fingers crossed for you sarah sinnott.

You'll get there DetectivFoxtrot and I am sure you'll both make great parents.

• Advertisement

Thank for the suppport Thaedydal i hope so too

DetectivFoxtrot- You are very well read up on it all, well done and thanks for all the info. Best of luck for this month now

actually meant to say my sister had very irregular cycle PCOS went on clomid for 3 cycles and now has 18month old baby girl they really dont know how it happened as she just could not pinpoint ovulation so happy miracle for them.
    she also was put on metformin and lost 1 stone at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 limelemon

Just to add my 2 cents...

I did temping (it worked for me, have a lovely baby girl) and monitored cervical mucus and the cervix (is it firm or soft? etc). Never found OPKs any good, according to them I never ovulated!

Have you read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler? Absolutely invaluable, loads of great tips to maximise your chances, and gives detailed instructions on how to undertake temping properly (you really need to give it a few months to recognise your body's patterns).

Also, in my own case, drinking loads of (fresh) grapefruit juice and green tea in the days up to ovulation did wonders to improve cervical mucus, which is really, really important. You may have the right dates, times etc. but you need to provide adequate transport for the swimmers! :D

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get there.

hi guys

just a quick post to say it wasnt for me this month.
    temp dropped 0.3 this am and period followed shortly after that today, day 31.

just wondering if anyone would like to answer this question for me and a general yes no answer is enough..... does anyone have any deeply hidden fears about starting a family? for whatever reason...

just wondering if anyone would like to answer this question for me and a general yes no answer is enough..... does anyone have any deeply hidden fears about starting a family? for whatever reason...

yes! It's going to be life changing, and I'm a selfish cow at times so really don't know how I'll cope with it all. I think that's why women are pg for 9 months; for our brains to get used to the idea of it all!
    Lately, when doing random things, I often think 'I won't be able to do this when a baby comes along'.
    All that aside though I still can't WAIT for it! :D

'I won't be able to do this when a baby comes along'.

so enjoy it!!!

think theres a bit of me on that too

plus neither of us live near our family, we live here for work work work

twas our wedding aniversary yest, 4 years. we survived :o strangely not too disapointed.

it will happen when its meant to.
    but that temping nearly drove me cracked. couldnt not do it every day but i was waking at crazy hours and the second i woke had the thermom iin my mouth.
    well see how this month goes

I have found vaginal temping more accurate. You just lip it in an inch or so..... with oral temping, if if your mouth is open during the night this will affect the read.

here we go.... another month.

had the temp rise yest so am happy i ovulated on day 18
    did the biz did the biz did the biz

so as my mother would say ive put a shtamp on it again (as its in the post...)

so well see

i know im being way too hard on myself but i cant get it out of my head, a few friends had babies this year and all i can think about it how exciting it will be for all of them this christmas. i dont really want to face them to hear anything about it between this and then and im meetin one (plus baby) for lunch on fri, we dont live in the same county its a visit.

neat year eh....
    please god and best wishes to all of you

acutally forgot to add ive been getting some reiki and lots of clearing (and pain!) around the root chakra = the fertility region so maybe :)

love to you all
    ;)

Advertisement