Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open College of the Arts

Options
  • 12-09-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I wonder has anyone else here in Ireland taken a course with the Open College of the Arts or short OCA.
    I am currently involved in one of their courses and I am finding it pretty tough working on my own with no support. The only support you get is five postal tutorials. If you wnat to speak to your tutor you have to pay an extra 20 Sterling per half hour phone conversation. I have done that and have not found that helpful. I came away from it concluding that the tutor had no real sense of the reality of the course I am studying (painting at level 2), which I would describe as dry and prescriptive but very demanding, and thye had no concept either of what it was like working on your own without any contact with other students.
    The only way to make contact with other students is via their website for students which is very low quality. It's a long shot really trying to build up a support network through that.
    Anyhow, has anyone else here taken courses with them and perhaps had a similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ds2010

I did one painting and one photography course with them. The painting course was not that great and I did not enjoy it. I did not learn how to paint either. The photography course was somewhat better supported, better learning materials. There is a flickr page for photography students which was set up privately by a student. This can be a great help. However, I then discovered that the CEO of the college was registered as a user of this private page, and was policing the exchanges between students, definign hat could and couldn't be said in public on this page! The reason I found out was because a student went public about it on the flickr page. I found the CEO's attitude very disturbing, and I don't think I will continue with the OCA.

Advertisement