Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Angels?

• 12-09-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

This is something that I have been wondering for a long time now. Obviously I know what an angel is in the Christian sense of the word, but I'm thinking more about the new agey concept; Angel healing, Angel numerology, Gardian Angels etc. The term seems to be creeping into people's vocabulary alot lately (or at least the people I've been associating with.) Even people that I wouldn't consider overly religous or spiritual. I hear people say things like 'the Angels will look after you,' 'ask your Guardian Angels.' Or the other day for example when I found something I had misplaced, a friend remarked 'oh you can thank your Angels for guiding you.'

I've browsed the internet to see if I could get an insight, but most books and websites on the subject seem to take for granted that you understand and believe in the existance of angels. There are a few questions I would love to have answered:

1) Where does the whole idea of Angel healing come from? Is it a Christian thing? Is there an origional Angel guru or 'bible' where the idea stems from?

2) When people speak of Angels or Guardian Angels do they mean it in a metaphorical sense, or are they to be taken literally. Like to you actually believe there Angels looking down on us and helping us?

3) What is it about the idea that seems to attract usually very rational and analytical people? I'm often very surprised at the sorts of people that follow what seems to me to be a very supersensible and 'far out' idea.

I'm not here to criticise the concept, I'm actually genuinely interested in understanding more about where it comes from. I feel like I'm missing something here, and would appreciate if someone could enlighten me.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think its a fashion at the moment. Angels are just having a popularity burst. I bet if you asked 99% of the people who believe in angels to name more than two they wouldnt get past Raphael and Michael. People are drifting away from organised religion, but they still need something to fill the spiritual gap, and angels are benign and helpful and cuddly* and fill that gap.

In spite of how I may come across, I dont think there is much wrong with the trend, if people are getting something positive from it. I just dislike when they get too wrapped up in this or any doctrine. Because really, its not angelic knowledge they are mostly absorbing, but the world according to Doreen Virtue.

I believe in a spiritual force. I think we have forever been trying to tie it down and label it in order to comprehend it. Its what religion has always sought to do. Angels are just one of the labels of choice in the western world today.

*in the popular sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Thank you for the reply, I do get the impression that it's a very wishy washy concept where the 'angels' are very good at doing and saying what most people would want to hear from them. Also alot the of people I know who dabble in it have given their guardian angels names like Keisha and Alyssa, which don't seem very traditional or 'biblical' to me.

I was curious as to why the idea has taken off so much in recent years, thinking about it I guess I can see the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Angels for me are divine beings that are sent from heaven to help creatures on earth. Someone once described them to me as arch ways of light. I ask my angels for everything, you can not overload them as they are infinite. I have 2 guardian angels called Alex and Marc Anthony and a third one to become more evident as I progress spiritually. There are angels for everything, I ask them for help from things like finding car park spaces to helping heal emotional wounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I am currently doing an angelic healing course, so yes, I do believe in them. I am aware of them assisting me with clearing old energies etc. I also call on them to assist me with certain things, however I tend to call on them daily, rather than just at times of need, so to speak. I also feel it is important to thank them for the different ways they help.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Yes definitely good to be grateful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 dontbossme

Truley wrote: »
    This is something that I have been wondering for a long time now. Obviously I know what an angel is in the Christian sense of the word, but I'm thinking more about the new agey concept; Angel healing, Angel numerology, Gardian Angels etc. The term seems to be creeping into people's vocabulary alot lately (or at least the people I've been associating with.) Even people that I wouldn't consider overly religous or spiritual. I hear people say things like 'the Angels will look after you,' 'ask your Guardian Angels.' Or the other day for example when I found something I had misplaced, a friend remarked 'oh you can thank your Angels for guiding you.'

I've browsed the internet to see if I could get an insight, but most books and websites on the subject seem to take for granted that you understand and believe in the existance of angels. There are a few questions I would love to have answered:

1) Where does the whole idea of Angel healing come from? Is it a Christian thing? Is there an origional Angel guru or 'bible' where the idea stems from?

2) When people speak of Angels or Guardian Angels do they mean it in a metaphorical sense, or are they to be taken literally. Like to you actually believe there Angels looking down on us and helping us?

3) What is it about the idea that seems to attract usually very rational and analytical people? I'm often very surprised at the sorts of people that follow what seems to me to be a very supersensible and 'far out' idea.

I'm not here to criticise the concept, I'm actually genuinely interested in understanding more about where it comes from. I feel like I'm missing something here, and would appreciate if someone could enlighten me.

For me i think angels are all kids who have been taking from this world for whatever reason. I know that's what i say about my baby who is sadly gone but i think she now is a angel. Who is looking out for me and her mother brother and sister we all as people have our own believes. That is mine and will always will be so.. Nikita baby i love you and miss you so much x x x

Love

DAD

Also when i say kids i mean young people baby to 25 at least...

Nikita was a baby ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Thank you for all the relpys. I'm interested in finding out how people come to these beliefs. Did you have a direct experience where an angel presented itself to you. Or did you read or hear about it and seek it out?

Advertisement