Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indoor Virtual Trainer....suggestions please

• 12-09-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

With the winter season upon us can anyone suggest a virtual trainer, ideally one that links up to your tv with a dvd/software etc. I was looking at something like a tacx but they seem very expensive.
    http://www.tacxvr.com/en/products/vr-trainers-intro

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They are expensive - I have the Fortius, and have used it extensively over the past couple of years (particularly when recovering from crashes).

There are not many options out there if you want the benefit of VR, and Tacx have the widest variety of "Real Life Videos"

Of course, you could just stick with a normal turbo trainer, and sit in front of the TV, or watch cycling DVDs! The benefit of the VR is it gives you the impression you really are climbing the hills (or freewheeling down them) because of the variable braking. I've done a number of extended sessions on mine (3 hours or so), but I'm not sure I would have done this without the VR/Real Life Videos. I think you'll struggle to find many people on here who will do hour+ sessions, particularly on normal turbo trainers

Ultimately it's like everything else in life - it's worth it if you can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Beasty wrote: »
    They are expensive - I have the Fortius, and have used it extensively over the past couple of years (particularly when recovering from crashes).

There are not many options out there if you want the benefit of VR, and Tacx have the widest variety of "Real Life Videos"

Of course, you could just stick with a normal turbo trainer, and sit in front of the TV, or watch cycling DVDs! The benefit of the VR is it gives you the impression you really are climbing the hills (or freewheeling down them) because of the variable braking. I've done a number of extended sessions on mine (3 hours or so), but I'm not sure I would have done this without the VR/Real Life Videos. I think you'll struggle to find many people on here who will do hour+ sessions, particularly on normal turbo trainers

Ultimately it's like everything else in life - it's worth it if you can afford it.

Cheers Beasty, like you i would struggle to do an hour+ on a normal trainer that's why i was looking at the virtual option. Where did you buy yours from, cycle shop or direct from Tacx?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cheers Beasty, like you i would struggle to do an hour+ on a normal trainer that's why i was looking at the virtual option. Where did you buy yours from, cycle shop or direct from Tacx?
    Online from Slane Cycles. The videos, however, tend to be cheaper when bought directly from Tacx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

think this is cheapest I have seen the Fortius. 639e - they also have the multiplayer for 679e which seems extremely cheap.

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p8678_Fortius-T1940-Trainingsrolle.html

Ordered myself the elite e-motion rollers from them.

I take it the Fortius is a newer model than the i-magic, what would the main differences be between the two? Reading the model descriptions they seem to offer the same albeit the I-magic is much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I think the main difference is the Fortius has an electric motor braking system. It can produce a much greater resistance - simulating I think up to a 25% gradient. I think the Imagic can only do abut 6-7% - but I could be wrong...its been a long time since I researched them both.

anoble66 wrote: »
    I think the main difference is the Fortius has an electric motor braking system. It can produce a much greater resistance - simulating I think up to a 25% gradient. I think the Imagic can only do abut 6-7% - but I could be wrong...its been a long time since I researched them both.

Ok looks like i will go for the Fortius Multiplayer. Will do a review on it when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You can buy a Tacx Satori + "workouts in a binder" for pretty cheap. Not as high tech as a VR setup but there is enough in there to keep you on your toes for an hour while getting some very focused race training.

51ZH674279L._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    51ZH674279L._SS500_.jpg

Dirk Friel! Any relation to Joe? I thought this was a wind-up til I saw it on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dirk Friel! Any relation to Joe? I thought this was a wind-up til I saw it on Amazon.

Joe=father. Dirk=son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The dedication on the inside of the training bible reads:

"To Dirk, my friend, my training partner, my mentor, my pupil, my son"

Thanks Pops!

I went with the Fortius Multiplayer in the end and have had it for 2 weeks now, all I can say it is pretty close to the real thing. I have done a few 80km indoor spins on it and the time flys by and the motor gives a true feeling of climbing/descending.
    It's also really good for mixing up the training sessions.
    10/10

Advertisement