Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laparotomy and Pregnancy

Options
  • 12-09-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

A question for those of you with some type of knowledge or should I ask in After Hours? :D

So my Fiancee had a Laparotomy(Small Bowel Resection) and has a Temporary Ilesotomy.

Somebody mentioned and I also Googled the query about the possibility of her getting pregnant, carrying full term and having a normal delivery.

What are the possible outcomes regarding pregnancy after such a surgery?

*Im aware that none of the reproduction organs were affected but Im still only a layman so I ask nonetheless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hi Berty,
    I had a laparotomy in 2007 and I now have a little boy of 17 months!
    I had to have the surgery because of fertility issues (endometriosis) but after I had the surgery it was a case of finding the right fertility drugs for me and six months later I was pregnant with my little boy.
    I had an emergency c-section in the end but they had planned for me to have a normal delivery so there is no reason to rule it out.
    Best of luck to you and your fiancee.
    You can PM me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Had a total oesophagestomy but am also a type 1 diabetic, for me I have always had problems putting on weight with my type of surgery but we have a lovely little boy (he was born by c-section due to the diabetes but having a normal birth was being discussed until the last day). His birth was unusual because not many women of reproductive age have the surgery I had but have heard of lots of women having babies after your fiancee's surgery.

Advertisement