Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kerry-Help!

Options
  • 12-09-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Myself and other half moving to Kerry, (new job in Kilarney) from Sligo. Not sure whether we should be looking at Kilarney for accomodation or maybe Tralee or somewhere else? Looking for someplace friendly, things to do in the evenings, etc. I like to run as well so someplace where there are a few short easy runs to keep me occupied would be nice.:)

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

id say killarney myself, plenty of running to be done on the national park

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

If you have a choice between living in Tralee and living in Killarney, to be honest I recommend Killarney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Killarney has enough shops and services you will need. It also has an omniplex and theres more stuff to do there in general. Better option IMO and no stress of a long commute from Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JMH

Agree with all previous posters.

I live near Killarney but work in Tralee - it's a bit of a pain / traffic in and out is awful (hard to believe!) ... but delighted to have a job!

Rents should be OK in Killarney right now - but to get a bit of extra value you might need to go a little out of town. For a runner - go for Ross Road, Killorglin Rd/Fossa or Park Road areas - loadsa running options there.

Congrats on new job BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭pfishfood

Killarney would fit the bill for you, also the commute from Tralee especially at peak times would be a nightmare imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NutiniFan

Ta everyone, didn't expect it to be so one sided so I guess that has made that decision for me. The hard part now is leaving the west behind.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PicturePerfect

NutiniFan wrote: »
    Ta everyone, didn't expect it to be so one sided so I guess that has made that decision for me. The hard part now is leaving the west behind.....:(

Once you have ran free in the Beautiful nature Killarney is surrounded with, you will not think once about the West ;)

Oh and def Killarney as well if you are going to work there. Why bother creating a commute if you could avoid it from the start. Killarney has lots to offer and as a foreigner who has been in Killarney now for about 5 years, I can honestly say that Killarney has a lot more magic than Tralee. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

You'll love Killarney :) I don't think I've ever heard of anyone that would choose Tralee over Killarney tbh!

Plenty of accommodation here. And lots of places to go jogging. I usually go in the national park. Plenty of roads without annoying cars!

If you've any other questions ask away!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

just for the sake of balance ... i suggest living in tralee.
    i live north-west of tralee and work in killarney.

on the whole i find tralee a much better shopping experience.

also rents are currently cheaper in tralee with more choice (according to a colleague).

from a running perspective you have loads of choice...
    weekly winter runs organised in killarney ... check out www.feetfirst.ie
    tralee triathlon club based in tralee ... http://www.traleetriclub.com/

if you're into cycling then there is http://thechaingang.cc/ also based in tralee.

to be honest, it doesn't really matter... because either way you'll surely avail of fenit & banna for walks/runs; killarney national park for walks/runs; dingle for the climbing wall http://www.playatheight.com; tralee for the aquadome and several gyms; tralee for bowling; killarney for some great music, food & entertainment....

In short.. WELCOME TO KERRY and enjoy your stay...
    try to experience the entire county (not just killarney / tralee)...
    everything from listowel races, rattoo round tower, staigue fort & caherdaniel house down south, wind-surfing in castlegregory, surfing in banna, to slea head and the star bar in rathmore!!!

(jeez, i'm starting to sound like bord failte!!!!!!)

ps: you're still in the west! (just the south-west)

Advertisement