Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Shops in New York

• 12-09-2010 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Hitting to New York this Halloween and looking to check out a few bike shops...any advice?. Was thinking of hitting out to Brooklyn and see what R&A are like but worried that its just a great website with a crappy store...anyone visited it??

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

its HUGE it will blow your mind the selection and stock there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

No haven't visited R&A or even heard of it for that matter. Was in NY in April and thought I'd pick up a few bits and pieces, was on the market for pedals and shoes at the time. Didn't know of any stores so asked a few fairly serious looking cyclists in Central Park on day where was good to go. They recommended some shop near 7th Avenue I think it was, anyway went there the following day and was very disappointed with the selection and more importantly the price. Was expecting something big with good prices but when I saw the look keo 2 max carbon pedals with a ticket price of $300 I didn't spend much longer in the store, poor selection of shoes also.
    Good luck with your hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

This is a well known shop, the prices are better online in general. Assos is more expensive over there.

http://www.piermontbike.com/

Check out bikeforums.net look for a user there called Pcad he is the most up to date and renowned cyclist, tell him Irish pat from the forums told you about him, go the roadcycling sub-forum, loads of info there and he is there.
    He rides about 10,000 miles per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Have you an address in the states, like some relations? If so, it is best to go mail-order. They have a 100% guarantee, often lifetime, and beat the best prices of shops.

Check out

www.nashbar.com
    www.performanceBike.com

Also, if you are looking for some good deals on bicycle go to
    www.bikesDirect.com

Slan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

r and a is pretty good, worth a visit. it wont blow your mind tho. I got a great deal there a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

FISMA wrote: »
    Have you an address in the states, like some relations? If so, it is best to go mail-order. They have a 100% guarantee, often lifetime, and beat the best prices of shops.

Check out

www.nashbar.com
    www.performanceBike.com

Also, if you are looking for some good deals on bicycle go to
    www.bikesDirect.com

Slan

I would stay away from both of those sites, performance and Nashbar, they are bad quality and the prices are not good. Believe it or not, www.probikekit.com has the best prices in the states and free shipping to the states as well. You can get tubes for like $3, gp4000 tyres for $35, I would have them ordered, shipped to an address in the states and then bring them back, that's what I am doing when I have friends coming over. I was getting wholesale prices in the states and even my LBS, couldn't get better prices for me on that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

NYCvelo.

End of story.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Axel1

Well for some heading to NYC in these times......careful with customs coming home!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. Heading there next week so will report back on my findings. Really just looking for a "local" shop that I might pick up some obscure gear...cycling gear that is.:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

There are some pretty good cycling forums based in the U.S., post up on a few of them, thats where you'll get local knowledge.... Enjoy the trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

rubs wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Hitting to New York this Halloween and looking to check out a few bike shops...any advice?. Was thinking of hitting out to Brooklyn and see what R&A are like but worried that its just a great website with a crappy store...anyone visited it??

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

If you manage to find it I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed. It's fe$kin tiny. They have some lovely demo stock in cervelo, litespeed, zipps etc., but it's feckin tiny. Did I mention it's tiny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

100Suns wrote: »
    Did I mention it's tiny?

But, but...

ra_logo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

rubs wrote: »
    .... I might pick up some obscure gear...cycling gear that is....

Tell them that you are also looking for some "good craic" as well when going through US immigration!! :D

Raam wrote: »
    But, but...

ra_logo.jpg

The gift of American hyperbole, all juiced up (like some of their recent TdF champs :rolleyes:) It is tiny by the way. Really tiny. In fact it's vey very small. Miniscule. Like the Jacks under the stairs small. I was disappointed, slightly.

Is it really that small??...I was looking at it on Google Street view and it does look rather depressing alright...might just stay on the island and not venture out to Brooklyn so:(

It's kinda pokey. Imagine parking your bike and a set of spare wheels in your wardrobe and getting in there with it. But with the lights on obviously. It's not as roomy as the wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DLK

Was in NYC in August picking up a Surly LHT + kit before heading off - dealt with all of the shops below ending up getting everything from Sids Bikes on 34th - good service but not the cheapest and choice limited - still the best choice I found as real estate too expensive for any of the shops to carry too much kit - the usuals, wiggle/crc/prendas, etc still rule

www.bicyclerenaissance.com
    www.nycvelo.com
    www.bikecult.com
    www.sidsbikes.com
    www.bicyclehabitat.com

If you get to DC http://revolutioncycles.com/ is a good spot (Georgetown branch)

Hi all,

Back from my travels and just thought I would put a bit of feedback for anyone heading that way soon. By and large the shoips were small with limited stock...obvious really as the price of real estate is so high as somebody mentioned previously.

Sids bikeshop was probaly the best on 34th street...my friend got the deal of a lifetime...$380 SIDI shoes for $30!!!!...such a good deal that he got 2 pairs...colours a bit off but with the winter overshoes on ...what the heck!

NYVelo was also good with some real nice gear. As regards prices the online stores still cant be beat but I suppose it all depends on the exchange rate.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Advertisement