Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Seatbelts for kids - advice

• 12-09-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello

We are seriously considering buying a 6 berth motorhome. We are going to look at one during the week. My big concern is that it only has 2 full seat belts in the back. The seat belts on the rear facing seats are only lapbelts. How safe is it to put kids with boosters on these? Also would it be easy to change them to 3 point seat belts.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks, bebie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've tried to find out a few times, but haven't really been able to get a figure or source anyone to do it - there seems to be too many variables that can impact on whether it is doable or not to give any kind of definitive answer when I've asked.

Depending on what seats your children are, some of the group 1 and 2 will work with lapbelts only. I've read of people swapping the cab passenger seat for a double bench seat if they only need one extra seat belt, but that obviously stops/ makes harder a walk through. Probably the most cost effective way if you only need one extra belted seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bebie

Thanks for your reply.

We have 4 kids so need 4 seatbelts. The eldest two are big enough to sit on the booster cushions but I don't know how safe this would be with just lapbelts. We kinda have our heart set on this van, but might have to look out for another with 4 full seat belts in the rear. Haven't seen any within our budget though.

Thanks again. bebie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Because the seats are rear facing the lap belt will off the same amount of protection as the forward facing three point seatbelt. For children in a booster seat I would say the lap belts are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Hi,

I would not be 100% comfortable with children on rear facing seats fitted only with lapbelts. What happens if you are in a motoway pile up and are then rear ended.God forbid!!!!!!
    I got a qoute from Dohennys before I bought van to retro fit 3 points on the rear facing seats. Its erased from my inbox but might be worth a call

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bebie

Thanks Kol for your reply. This is what my other half has been telling me. I'm going to have a look at motorhome for sale during week. Just want to make sure we buy the "right" one for us.

If there is anyone out there who uses lapbelts on the rear facing seats with kids, can you please let me know what your experience of these are.

Thanks a million.

bebie

• Advertisement

bebie wrote: »
    Thanks Kol for your reply. This is what my other half has been telling me. I'm going to have a look at motorhome for sale during week. Just want to make sure we buy the "right" one for us.

If there is anyone out there who uses lapbelts on the rear facing seats with kids, can you please let me know what your experience of these are.

Thanks a million.

bebie

If you are thinking of changing over to 3 point belts there is a frame you can buy which has all the anchor points, belts etc. As far as I remember it's about €700 for the frame plus whatever it would cost to fit. Probably money well spent for peace of mind if you will use the rear facing seats all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

*Kol* wrote: »
    If you are thinking of changing over to 3 point belts there is a frame you can buy which has all the anchor points, belts etc. As far as I remember it's about €700 for the frame plus whatever it would cost to fit. Probably money well spent for peace of mind if you will use the rear facing seats all the time.

But has the frame been tested for rear facing? In bus tests they found that the rearward facing seats were generally forward facing designs and with the increased inertial force of the body failed structurally when used in rear facing applications. probably beter than nothing but not sure I'd want to spend 700 euro on it.

paddyp wrote: »
    But has the frame been tested for rear facing? In bus tests they found that the rearward facing seats were generally forward facing designs and with the increased inertial force of the body failed structurally when used in rear facing applications. probably beter than nothing but not sure I'd want to spend 700 euro on it.

In the bus tests that you refer to the seats failed not the belts. For what is being discussed here you would need the integrity of a front facing frame in the event of a collision from the rear (as in the case of a pile up which was mentioned earlier). The structure of the existing rear facing seat should take the forces involved in the event of a head on collision. I would consider €700 a small price to pay for additional safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

bebie wrote: »

bebie

We use the 2 rear facing lap belts for 2 of the kids BUT both kids are in seats with 5 point harness's (ie full car seats). The car seats are designed to be retained by either lap belt or 3 point belt. There are child seats available that are suitable for kids up to about 6yr (obviously kids weight must be within car seat range) that have 5 point harness's and are fitted with lap belt.........might be a cheaper option

Advertisement