Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you use to open Velux or other roof windows?

• 12-09-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

What do you use to open Velux or other roof windows? So we have 3 velux type roof windows in our new house - all of which are out of arms reach, including one which is over the stairs so we can't easily use a ladder to reach it either. Any suggestions for what to use to open them apart from the official velux opening rod which is 25 quid. We tried a walking stick which is fine for a bit until the head broke off!! Anyway I look forward to your ingenious answers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Brush handle with a hook on the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At one end of the spectrum is a remote control. At the other, much more practical, end is trad's suggestion of a brush handle, easily purchased in a diy shop. If a brush handle is not long enough then you can get 8ft lengths of heavy dowel which you can cut to size. And a screw-in cup hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

+1 for broom handle with a hook, the hook must not have a tight curve though!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

looksee wrote: »
    At one end of the spectrum is a remote control. At the other, much more practical, end is trad's suggestion of a brush handle, easily purchased in a diy shop. If a brush handle is not long enough then you can get 8ft lengths of heavy dowel which you can cut to size. And a screw-in cup hook.

where could I buy the heavy dowel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

woodies, brooks, chadwicks, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

The velux handle is worth every cent I reckon. I’ve seen loads of other peoples velux's that have their opening handles scratched to bits from using some cobbled together solution. Ours look perfect using the proper one for the last 4 years. The opening handle on ours is about 10 foot from floor level. I thought it was firece expensive when we got ours, but it's not really in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pacino

Hi I have a velux window which is about 12/13 foot high. What lengths do the official poles come in?.
    Are they telescopic?

Thanks

Advertisement