Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotty Pup with grey hairs

• 12-09-2010 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi, got a rotty pup last week and since then it has started to develop grey hairs on its bum, I know their undercoat can be grey bit you shouldnt be able to see it. Anybody have this before, do they grow out of it? Pup is 10wk old female.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Sounds like she could be starting to lose her puppy coat. Groom her with a soft brush, it will take out any dead hair and get her accustomed to being handled and touched all over her body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

lrushe wrote: »
    Sounds like she could be starting to lose her puppy coat. Groom her with a soft brush, it will take out any dead hair and get her accustomed to being handled and touched all over her body.

Thanks for the reply. I always assumed that was from 4-6 months on. I have been grooming her every day since I got her with the soft brush. It seems to be getting worse though. I have started to give her salmon oil with her meals to see if that helps.

Is the grey hair coming out or is it just part of her coat?

Is the grey hair coming out or is it just part of her coat?

it seem to be a part of her coat especially on the back of her legs, there is also afew intermittent grey hairs on her back.

Devi wrote: »
    it seem to be a part of her coat especially on the back of her legs, there is also afew intermittent grey hairs on her back.

Is she full Rottie? If she has a cross in her it could be that otherwise I'd say it's just her coat, many Rottie's have flecks of white in their coat, it is considered a flaw in the show ring but as it a pet it will make no difference :)

• Advertisement

Is she full Rottie? If she has a cross in her it could be that otherwise I'd say it's just her coat, many Rottie's have flecks of white in their coat, it is considered a flaw in the show ring but as it a pet it will make no difference :)

her parents looked like full rotties but had no papers no ill never really no for sure, at the moment its hard to judge because shes a pup, I wouldnt care anyway, I picked her because of her temperment rather than her looks. Heres a pic of her with my lab, ye can see what im talking about at the back of her legs. What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

i kinow this is a different breed but i have a scottie and since she was a pup she has strands of grey hair. mam was worried but the vet said its normal, maybe its the same for the rottie?

She sure looks all Rottie! She looks a little light around the legs but nothing unusual she may end up getting darker when her adult coat comes in, if not it's not the end of the world in a pet Rottie so longer as she is healthy. Enjoy her, she's a cutie :)

She sure looks all Rottie! She looks a little light around the legs but nothing unusual she may end up getting darker when her adult coat comes in, if not it's not the end of the world in a pet Rottie so longer as she is healthy. Enjoy her, she's a cutie :)

Ah thats good to know. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

She is gorgeous (& so is your lab). I hve a black lab, decent pedigree & IKC registered but he has small tufts of white hair on the back of his paw, what can only be described as white "freckles" on his muzzle & the odd stray white hair here & there on his coat. As has been said before, as they are only a pet it doesn't make any difference.

• Advertisement

Just an update incase anybody ever has the same question, all the grey hair has been gone for a while now - just forgot to post. You were right Irushe thanks.

Awww she's a little beaut! Lovin' the snow like a true Rottie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Completely off-topic post here :p

I was never really dying about the sturdy build of the Rottie much prefering the more stream-lined look of the Dobermann. I have to say though that from all these pics I've seen posted on this forum by Rottie owners the appearance of them is really starting to grow on me! :)

If I saw 5 Rottweilers in a day 3 would be overweight. You get alot of people with the idea that bigger is better or see pups being advertised as 'king' or 'roman' Rotties whereas Rotties are only supposed to a medium sized dog and kept as lean as possible so as to reduce the stress on their joints. Brook is 17 months and weighs 65lbs, by no means a giant!:)

If I saw 5 Rottweilers in a day 3 would be overweight.

Maybe that's what the problem is, not too many of them around here and any that are would seem to overfed and under exercised, so I've probably never actually seen a properly managed one in the flesh!

Here's a recent pic of Brook, as you can see she has a nicely nipped in stomach and if you look at her from above she has a waist. Can't really see them properly in this pic but she has well developed muscular shoulders. She has about another 7 months of growning to do so she'll broaden a little bit more but this will be her basic shape:).

Brook2 27.11.10.jpg

She looks great there! Little stunner. I'm now thinking that I usually see photo's taken from the front as well which don't give the overall perspective, now I've even more to think about in terms of future soul-mates :p

Well you know what they say, once you go tan and black you'll never go back ha ha!!!:D

They also say so many men dogs, so little time :p

I know what you mean though ;) I already have Dobbies and Mini Pins on my short long list :rolleyes:

Here's a recent pic of Brook, as you can see she has a nicely nipped in stomach and if you look at her from above she has a waist. Can't really see them properly in this pic but she has well developed muscular shoulders. She has about another 7 months of growning to do so she'll broaden a little bit more but this will be her basic shape:).

Brook2 27.11.10.jpg

Ah shes lovley, looks like she is very confidant and proud of herself well done. On a side note what height and weight should a 5 month female old be? Theres a few charts on internet but my girl doesnt seem to fit into them. Shes 19in in height when some charts say they should be 23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I havent weighed my 6 month old rottie for a few weeks but she was 18kg well over a month ago so you are prob talking roughly 20-23kg maybe?

I wouldnt worry if shes not fitting the exact measurements that you read as they can all grow at different rates.

Ah shes lovley, looks like she is very confidant and proud of herself well done. On a side note what height and weight should a 5 month female old be? Theres a few charts on internet but my girl doesnt seem to fit into them. Shes 19in in height when some charts say they should be 23.

Brook is 17months, she weighs 65lbs (well that was the last time we weighed her a month or so ago) and she's 20ins tall. If I were to go by the charts she would be under developed but I've enquired with her breeder and it's in her bloodline to be slow growing, Brooks half sister is the same.
    There is no hard and fast rules about a pups weigh and height, I never worry about such things so long as your pup is happy and heathy and you're keeping her lean (not skinny) I wouldn't worry about her size, she'll be whatever her genes dictate and actually the slower she grows the better for her joints.

Brook is 17months, she weighs 65lbs (well that was the last time we weighed her a month or so ago) and she's 20ins tall. If I were to go by the charts she would be under developed but I've enquired with her breeder and it's in her bloodline to be slow growing, Brooks half sister is the same.
    There is no hard and fast rules about a pups weigh and height, I never worry about such things so long as your pup is happy and heathy and you're keeping her lean (not skinny) I wouldn't worry about her size, she'll be whatever her genes dictate and actually the slower she grows the better for her joints.

Yea I think the charts are based on large males mostly. I wouldn’t really care normally its just I’ve been getting a few remarks from people saying she was on the small side, just wanted to make sure, I don’t mind though. Yea both my dogs have put on a few pounds over the last 2 weeks with the weather. Not that I haven’t walked them just not as much after I slipped on the ice with the lab. I’ve ordered a pair of ice cleats so there no excuse next time. Off to the curragh now with them to make up for it.

andreac wrote: »
    I havent weighed my 6 month old rottie for a few weeks but she was 18kg well over a month ago so you are prob talking roughly 20-23kg maybe?

I wouldnt worry if shes not fitting the exact measurements that you read as they can all grow at different rates.

Yea I think shes about 21kg. Any idea on the height?

I wouldn’t really care normally its just I’ve been getting a few remarks from people saying she was on the small side,

If I had a penny for everytime someone said that to me I'd be a very rich person, it's usually followed by stories of 'a friends Rottie' that was 120lb and the size of a small horse ;)
    Either these stories are a gross over exaggeration or the dog was way out of standard, as I said above Rotties are medium sized dogs not large ones, people over feeding them to try and get them to grow is going to run the dog into bad health.
    From you girls pic though she looks a good size and nothing to worry about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Irushe im the exact same. The amount of people who come up to me and say they know a fella who has a rottie and hes 12 stone :rolleyes:, its ridiculous. The breed standard for a male is around 50 kg, which is about 7 1/2 stone.

My fella is just under that at about 48.9kg and hes a big dog, so there is no way there would ever be a rottie thats 12 stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Completely off-topic post here :p

I was never really dying about the sturdy build of the Rottie much prefering the more stream-lined look of the Dobermann. I have to say though that from all these pics I've seen posted on this forum by Rottie owners the appearance of them is really starting to grow on me! :)
    HA I was going to start a thread about this - you have me thinking the same about wesites and another poster described papillions as " a fairy crossed with a collie " and I want one of each now, even though I wouldn't be a "lapdog" type of person.

Whispered wrote: »
    HA I was going to start a thread about this - you have me thinking the same about wesites and another poster described papillions as " a fairy crossed with a collie " and I want one of each now, even though I wouldn't be a "lapdog" type of person.

A Westie is not a lapdog :eek: Its a dobbie crossed with a persian cat :p

Advertisement