Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

File Sharing from PC to Xbox

• 12-09-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I recently got my xbox hooked up to my network, but it cant seem to find my PC and media player 11 cant seem to see my xbox, Im using comodo firewall but I dont really know what to do! Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

segasega wrote: »
    I recently got my xbox hooked up to my network, but it cant seem to find my PC and media player 11 cant seem to see my xbox, Im using comodo firewall but I dont really know what to do! Any ideas?

Cheers

Download TVersity to your pc. Works much better for file sharing and should automatically configure your PC when it installs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055998699

works for HD stuff as well

Windows 7 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Will give TVersity a go now so. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Still no joy, Im probably missing a really simple step here some where. I have my xbox hooked up to the router and my pc is connected to the router wirelessly, could this make it diffecult for the xbox to find it and visa versa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

PS3mediaserver is better than TVersity and it supports the 360 too, give that a try. :)

Alternatively, give this a shot.

• Advertisement

I think you've hit the nail on the head about the wireless aspect of your connectivity. It's recommended that your PC should be wired to the router and not connected wirelessly. I read that before in plenty of forums. You can connect the xbox up wirelessly, though, as I've done without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It does work, I've my PC connected wirelessly and Xbox connected wired.
    It can be finicky to setup but once its working its pretty good.
    One thing I found though was that I often had to stop and start sharing on TVersity a lot before the Xbox picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

yeh (gizmo) is right ps3media server is perfect for the 360 as well you wont go wrong there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

segasega wrote: »

Cheers

That sounds like a definite problem with your firewall on your pc. (wireless or wired, it makes no difference.) To verify this. Try connecting your pc directly to your xbox via ethernet cable. If there is a problem with your firewall, they still will not be able to connect. Drop your firewall with your wireless down and see if that sorts that problem. If so, we can look into allowing the xbox and WMP through your firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

I've tried everything on every forum and still can't get my pc to recognise my xbox. can't get tversity to work either. it won't appear on the xbox!! HELP!! :confused:

• Advertisement

I've tried everything on every forum and still can't get my pc to recognise my xbox. can't get tversity to work either. it won't appear on the xbox!! HELP!! :confused:

Then it's probably your router!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

im quiet annoyed i cant just hook them up via a lan cable and do it that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

folan wrote: »
    im quiet annoyed i cant just hook them up via a lan cable and do it that way!

Can't you? I've done this before, as part of using a laptop as an "adapter" to connect to the internet for XBL. Not sure if I tried streaming, but I can't see why it wouldn't have worked. Of course the xbox then won't be able to connect to a wireless network if you already have a wifi adapter as well

OP: Who is your ISP, or what router are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

cheers cython, ive doe the same, but streaming didnt work that way. when i tried to do that it told me it was having problems with connecting to the network. Seems it has to go through one.

I just wanted to watch videos on my lovely big tv. HD box has fixed that problem (hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

It might help someone trouble shoot this here if you can list out step by step what you have done?

eg.
    Configured PC to have a Static IP address
    Set Port forwarding for Xbox on router as per...
    How you try to connect the Xbox to the media server?

eg If I select media server on my 360 it NEVER works - but if I select videos I can then see my media server in the listing...

Also the first time you search you have to accept the request from your 360 on your PC - at least with MediaPlayer, cannot remember what I did for TVersity now - but may have had to do it there.

Since I set static IPs on my PC, XBox & set the port forwarding settings my streaming has been rock solid, though with wireless you may have another hoop or two to jump through - firewall exclusions etc.

Advertisement