Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Bikes Online?

• 12-09-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before. just wondering what peoples opionions are to buying bikes online?

The difference in cost is quite big comparing some uk shops and local shops here in ireland

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

squigo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before. just wondering what peoples opionions are to buying bikes online?

The difference in cost is quite big comparing some uk shops and local shops here in ireland

Thanks

Have a look at chainreactioncycles. Have bought a bike and a lot of cycling gear off them over the years and they have been top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

buying online is not for amateurs really, know what you are getting and get what you know, also they need a certain amount of assembling so if your clueless with bikes its best to get your first bike from a local shop, most wont assemble a bike bought online for you which is fair enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

Hi
    Even though i bought my first bike about a 18mts ago from a local bike shop i was pretty cluless at the time.Currently waiting on my new road bike from Wiggle online great deals to be had at the moment.The prices locally just were'nt comparable.So if you do go the online route get as clued up as you can. Buy a few cycle mags or ask someone who been cycling a few years.Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Sizing is the most difficult thing when buying online I think. Different brands have different geometries so you need to do a bit of research on this. I bought from Canyon.com recently. They have a sizing widget called a perfect positioning system which worked fine for me. On the assembly, all that was required was fitting the handlebars, wheels and seatpost - and they have a video on their site showing you how if you have't done that before. They also have a 2010 stock clearance sale at the moment. Hard to beat that value.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 squigo

Hi

thanks for all the replys. Im jsut wondering what would the situation be regarding warranty on a bike bought online. Say I bought a bike a bike on wiggle and there turned out to be a fault. I would be presuming the bike would have to be returned to wiggle for the warranty for could the bike be retuned to a similar bike brand dealer here in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

As with buying anything online, your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer so you'd be sending it back to the shop if there was problem. Just make sure the site has a clear returns policy, full contacts details, etc. I've bought a couple of bikes online, saved a fortune. I had to send one frame back after a year of use when the BB became loose, the frame threaded. They deemed it a fault with the frame which came with a lifetime guarantee so replaced it for me! (merlincycles.co.uk, btw) Generally you can expect to pay postage back initially and in some cases they'll refund you. Read the small print before buying and don't buy from sites that look amateur.. the site is a window to the store :)

Advertisement