Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda investigation at Portmarnock train station

Options
  • 12-09-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Irish rail have updated their twitter saying the station won't be open tomorrow pending a Garda investigation. Anyone know what happened??

I also saw an ambulance in and around the area before the alert (might not be connected though).

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fatal shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 weirdear

No Way????

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

it was on the news there shot twice in the head on station road

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

confirmed. happened outside my window :S still a large garda presence currently. station road is closed.

Was it outside the kilns or seabrook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

outside the links second entrance (the one that's permanently locked up)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Fairly horrific if true. Just got Irish Rail tweet too.

If anyone gets a solid update, please post a link here.

Wasn't there an attempted hit on Friday in furry park? Wonder if it was a similar thing tonite....and on Saturday night the chopper was out for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=903

Monday 13th Portmarnock Station will have vehicular & pedestrian access from the Malahide side only by Corporate Communications

Portmarnock Station will have vehicular and pedestrian access from the Malahide side only.

Access to Portmarnock Station will be from the Malahide side only on Monday morning, 13th September. This is due to a Garda operation.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for any inconvenience caused.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Irish Times report here

Independent here

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just a reminder to everyone that with this type of incident you should restrict discussion to publicly verifiable facts. There should be no speculation, particularly over the identities of those involved, or underlying motives

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

FYI the station is open but traffic in the area is bad this morning. If you have go take the DART you'd be better walking to the station or driving to Malahide/Clongiffin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

s4dd wrote: »
    outside the links second entrance (the one that's permanently locked up)
    I used to live close to that gate when I was in the Links :eek: It's obviously being treated seriously by the Gardai. I'm glad I moved out at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I live in the links- got accosted by tv3 news guy this morning- god knows what i rambled at that time in the morning!

From where the main activity was it looks like it happened on the road somewhere between the 2 sets of gates, nearer to the end with the non operational gates- scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

turns out I'm related to the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Any word on when the road may reopen?

No idea on re-opening. Do you know the best way to go to get to say the dart station from the village anyway?

I'd imagine quickest way would be to go out at the little roundabout to towards howth, then take the first right, then there is a left which will bring you up past Drimnagh wood and then swing a right onto station road.

If your walking though dont go that way- no footpaths and bends are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

If you're on foot you might be better off going to malahide (bit of a trek tho) and getting the dart from there, I think the number 102 bus goes between malahide and portmarnock village if that helps anyone.
    The roads around station road are trecherous for pedestrians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Yeah the 102 bus goes between sutton station and the airport, so if you hop on it, regardless of which way it's going, you'll be able to get the train at malahide (if it's going to the airport) or sutton (if it's going to sutton). Also, the 32/a/b passes by the roundabout there on it's way into town from the sands hotel, so that's also an option if you find yourself stuck down there with no way to get into town.

And I wouldn't advise walking to Malahide either, it'll take at least an hour. Your best bet would be Clongriffin, reckon that would be maybe 20 mins? I'm not 100% where the station actually is though, so could be wrong. I think there's FREE parking there too, so could be a better permanent solution if you drive to the station every day.

Nasty_Girl wrote: »
    If you're on foot you might be better off going to malahide (bit of a trek tho) and getting the dart from there, I think the number 102 bus goes between malahide and portmarnock village if that helps anyone.
    The roads around station road are trecherous for pedestrians

Are they stopping foot traffic too? That must have been a pain for many this morning!

From the village on foot, the only other options would be to:

1) Head out towards Baldoyle and take a right on Mayne Rd and then another right onto Drinagh Road and again right onto Station Rd. No footpaths for most of that and a long walk, too. [Edit: probably as close to Clongriffin at this point: that's down the Hole in the Wall Road near Donaghmede. Long walk too]

2) Head up to the back road from Malahide by going up past/near Dunnes. Long and plenty of wrong-turn potential.

3) Or you could hop into the field down by the bridge, walk up past the apartments and get onto Station Rd from the Kilns. Not sure about access to the road this way, and probably trespassing, though I see "the youths" walking up that way on a daily basis...

• Advertisement

From AA Roadwatch, last updated 17.17:

MAIN TRAFFIC* * Station Rd is closed at the Strand Rd jct (R106) in Portmarnock after an incident last night. Access to the Portmarnock Railway Station is from the Malahide Rd side only. * However, DART and commuter services through Portmarnock are running as normal and the carpark is open. *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I didn't know you could walk to Clongriffin,

The only place I can walk to without being smushed is Malahide!

ixoy wrote: »
    Does that mean you're stuck inside the Links?! Or can you exit near the créche?

I'm beginning to wonder here - there was a shooting near where I now live on Saturdy and then this shooting the next day just metres from where I lived before...

Dont get paranoid :)

Yeah you can still go out the gate beside the creche (the other one hasnt been operational in ages anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

And I wouldn't advise walking to Malahide either, it'll take at least an hour. Your best bet would be Clongriffin, reckon that would be maybe 20 mins? I'm not 100% where the station actually is though, so could be wrong. I think there's FREE parking there too, so could be a better permanent solution if you drive to the station every day.

If you're on foot then you should get the bus to Malahide/Sutton as said before. There's no footpaths to Clongriffin. If you're driving then you just drive around to the other end of the road. Basically when you get to the little roundabout at the bottom of Portmarnock (coming from the village) turn left (instead of right), take the first right. Then the first right after that. And the first right after that.

Google Maps Link

Was down at the train station this morning. It's only a little section of the road that's sectioned off... probably no more than 5/10 metres wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

punchdrunk wrote: »
    turns out I'm related to the victim

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Eoineo wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss.

cheers,he came from a good home and it's the family I feel for
    hope the media don't drag them into it

Advertisement