Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Den on RTE TWO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Flap flaps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

TED! That eeeeeeeeevil b*stard. Always gettin' in to fights with Ray. :pac:

Yeah I remember the first one when Zig and Zag emerged from behind the chair, ah memories.

Also the books (well comics), did anyone have those? Fridge in a Denim Jacket (can't remember the names of the other ones) and the video "This Video Had Nothing To Do With Toast". Brilliant.

I still tell that joke, the one that Zag says in the Hospital. "What do you call cows by the ocean? A Farm-a-see (pharmacy)." Bless.

I thought the shamrock was up the hole?

Remembering it wrong, I wondered years after how they got away with "up me hole" on kid's tv.

How about "OIM A BILDAH!"

Or does anyone have the Dustin CDs? They were always out at Christmas, we got one and thought it was pure gas

Funky Ford Cortina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

How about "OIM A BILDAH!"

Or does anyone have the Dustin CDs? They were always out at Christmas, we got one and thought it was pure gas

Funky Ford Cortina.

I got one last Xmas, some of the stuff he got away with, "Ah Twink I didn't recognise you there since you shaved off the beard!!!"

Ah. Brilliant from 3:31 onwards when Dustin is speaking Irish - is it me or does he say, "I am on the Postman once every day"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

The Den was so good when it was Ray D'arcy, Zig and Zag, Dustin and Zuppy. Dustin definitely got away with saying a lot of stuff back then. Podge used to freak me out.

Does anyone remember the different sets they used? I remember them being in a caravan, shed and a spaceship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Who had the zig and zag books? Man, they were brilliant. Dial 'D' for dustin, The fridge in a denim jacket, and i think there was one more.
    I had a poster for their video too, 'Nothing to do with toast'. Then i remember being heartbroken when they left The den to go to channel 4, and an 11 year old chairman meow flipped the **** out and started drawing union jacks all over the poster and writing 'brit loving bastards' all over it!
    But yeah, the den christmas specials were fantastic. I remember watching one, i was maybe 8 or 9, and i was sitting in my PJ's, eating chocolate, watching the den on christmas morning, and Zig and Zag were pretending that they could see people watching the show and they said something like "aww look at yer man, still in his PJ's, and hes eatin chocolate for breakfast!!", you couldve knocked me over with a feather

kfallon wrote: »
    I got one last Xmas, some of the stuff he got away with, "Ah Twink I didn't recognise you there since you shaved off the beard!!!"
    :D

• Advertisement

And to think Ray D'arcy actually got paid to just sit there and listen to them, he'll never have a dream job like that again!

Even Don Conroy had his moments :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just found this:

The entire episode is up there. A good 40 mins of laughs.

I am trying to explain to the lads in work why I am almost in tears laughing at Zig and Zag, but they dont get it(Czechs).

I was looking for a clip. It was the day after the budget and they were apologizing for not being on the day before, due to the budget, and Zig goes, "I dont know why they show it any way because it only makes people upset". I thought it was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

RTE JUNIOR Is the name of the format that will replace the den.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Ah no it just gets worse! Once they took Ray darcy off it slowly went downhill, then no dustin, then its just socky and that blonde girl in the mornings! it wont be the den anymore, no matter what they call it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

But..but...but....Rayyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I always loved when someone threw Ted at Ray D'Arcy and he had to pretend to fight it

Also whenever Podge was on and Dustin went mad at him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Aww no, this makes me sad. Though it has been awful for a long time now, suppose it's time to get rid of it. It was great in the early years though, fond memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

the Den is just terrible now.

Bloody kids today would rather know how their porfolios are doing in the stock market than see Dustin drive Gay Byrne and Louis Walsh insane.

Go on ya good thing!
    Is the greatest quote of the 90's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I remember fridays at about half 4 they used to have the turtles on the old turtles the classic cartoon from the 90s with the April ONeill character with the huge knockers.

But i remember sitting down in my nans every week religiously and having chips from the chipper and watching the cartoons. Then going out and playing football. I miss those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Was there ever a dark skinned girl on The Den?

She is a presenter for some other RTE shows. I think its some music/pop show for teens.

Anyone know who she is?

Was she not velcro girl on 2phat too?

• Advertisement

Was there ever a dark skinned girl on The Den?

She is a presenter for some other RTE shows. I think its some music/pop show for teens.

Anyone know who she is?

Liz Bonin???

Used to love how Dustin used to always say he wouldn't pay his tv licence cos of the rubbish on RTE!

Dustin: "Gay Byrne doesn't have a tv licence either!"
    Ray: "Ah now you can't be saying that, it's not true"
    Dustin: "It is true, he told me!"
    Ray: *head in hands*

Dustin and Snotser, two cowboy builders but they had a great chipper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Liz Bonin???

ah yes. Thank you.
    Bonnin completed a master's in wild animal biology at the Zoological Society of London and the Royal Veterinary College in September 2008.

She's hawt and probably knows how to rub a panda belly!

The Briggan, the Brack, the Noggin & the Fermot!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

How did they get away with it? Listen at 1:04. 'Stupid c#nt'!

ffs I can't view the YouTube clips in work, will have to check all this out when I get home!

Was that podge saying it? cant listen in work but if it is see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67976473&postcount=44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Klim wrote: »

I think he actually says "Stupid Country"

Klim wrote: »

It really does sound a lot like c*nt! But I think it's more along the lines of "stupid. C'uh!" As a guttural sound of indifference, along the lines of a tut. Kinda like the 'cuh' sound in Cor blimey.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

How has no one posted this yet, so so funny. Just the innocence of it all.

I know it sounds excessive but I nearly vomited with the laughter didn't think I would be able to stop laughing!

Excellent! The way Snotzer answers the questions anyway! Good man Snotzer!

• Advertisement

Ah lads & lasses, this thread has me all teary-eyed and nostalgic. Now you know why school days were the best of your life, it wasn't the actual days in school it was the coming home after to The Den!

I'm now singing the theme tune to 'Booli' (spelling?) in me head now, the Irish snowman!

Fear sneachta ban,
    Hata ar a cheann
    Sin e Booli

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

syklops wrote: »
    I think he actually says "Stupid Country"

Aye, I think you're right. Still, can you ever see anything like that getting broadcast today? No way a kids programme now would let a risque remark like that through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone remember "Rays:)Rave" cant find it on you tube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Anyone remember the Toy Grand Prix? Now that was quality television!

Or how about the quizzes they used to do? The Yes/No Gameshow, the Big Bus Quiz, the Furry Green Telly Quiz and the Furry Blue Telly Quiz.

Ah, memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Sigh i remember when my dog got ran over in fronmt of me when i was a kid the only thing i could think of doing was watching the DEN and tears running down my cheecks and roars coming out of me, but it was the only thing i could think of doing. it was like one of them safe happy places people go...

sigh must watch zig and zag DVD again tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NC27

Just remembered the christmas no.1 song they had out.

Christmas is comin dustin's gettin fat
    zuppy is blue and zag is still a twat

How did they get away with saying twat. I also used to love dustin's song ' I was born in little bray' its a rip off of born in the usa, ah those where the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

This has a bit of Rays Rave if that's what you mean?

"Yeah, ya twat!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

Does anybody remember Francis boylon jr the final presenter of the normal den ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yup, i know what your on about. For a few months in 93/94??? every now & then they'd have a rays rave moment. Maybe 30 seconds of rave music & ray & the lads would be hopping around to the sound of proper rave tunes for a while.:pac:

Another funny & original feature of the Den.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Denzil2222 wrote: »

I know he came along after i got too old to watch the Den (although can you ever be too old to watch it?) but he's probably the least memorable presenter in any case. The show was starting to die when he came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

Ragga Zagga doing the Birthday Roller!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Fermot and the Noggin,
    Out in Ballybrack, doin abit a snoggin'
    Floggin, joggin, out in Sallynoggin,
    Go Onnnnnnnnnnn outa dat, who are ya coddin'!

:)

It was was first class kids tv. It had the same quality as films like Shrek. It was great because it worked for young kids on one level, teenagers on another. And a good few adults too. Id probably skyplus it if it was on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Denzil2222 wrote: »

Somebody could cough and he'd have laughed non-stop for 35 minutes. He just laughed at everything and forced me to stop watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Aw man, I'd forgotten how brilliant The Den used to be. Reading back this thread is giving me loads of great memories. :D
    I only saw Zig and Zag for a small bit before they emigrated, which is a shame. But Dustin, Snotser, Zuppy and Ray were all brilliant. (Ray D'arcy annoys me a bit these days, but he was excellent when presenting the Den.) And the Christmas specials were fantastic.

Anyone remember the "Toy Grand Prix" where they used race different toys against each other? That inspired me to play for hours in the hall racing all my different trucks and dinkies against each other.

Such a shame it's ending but it seems to have died a long time ago tbh. Maybe it's just "rose tinted glasses" and all that, but kids TV really is shit these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Ah lads & lasses, this thread has me all teary-eyed and nostalgic. Now you know why school days were the best of your life, it wasn't the actual days in school it was the coming home after to The Den!

The weird thing is i used to still watch it a good bit in secondary school- and in college now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ah no, productivity out the window until someone posts up that song.

I had it on tape, had the books and used to watch it every evening. On a serious nostalgia buzz reading this thread.

Edit: Good on Ronnie for getting involved in this, can't believe how young he looks here. Another legend gone. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Am I showing my age to say I go back to the days of the Rotten Apple Club?

If you didn't get your weekly dose of Mr. Comedy and Ronan Delight before Jo Maxi on a Friday then weekend ruined right there. What was Zigs name again on it....? Sunny something-or-other....?

Also.. "Hello... I'm like to speak to the Yogurt!"

I think we were blessed to grow up with that, didn't know what we had.
    When I see the cartoons they have now with the PC Brigade and Pokemon with bad guys throwing cards at each other or something instead of a good oul rumble with the Foot soldiers, I'm reminded how bad things have gotten these days.

Mmm turtles were brilliant. Tuesdays were my favourite. Batman, the decent series was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Pokemon at 3:15 was the best thing ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Aww :( I loved it when Ray Darcy was presenting and Damien. I loved when they did the Christmas specials they were brilliant, Podge was evil in one as far as I remember. The past couple of years it's been terrible though. Zig and Zag rule :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement