Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheist in Ireland

• 13-09-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

I'm moving to Ireland this Friday to study Medicine at TCD, coming from the UK. In the many conversations with friends/family, frequently religion in Ireland is brought up as something major to look out for. I'm an atheist, and here I wouldn't think twice about shouting that to the world, but from what I'm being told, I should be more wary in Ireland.

Now I'm sure there is an element of overreaction and stereotyping in these warnings, but is religion (and I'm mainly getting at Christianity here) really that deeply held? Is being an atheist something I should keep quiet about if I'm trying to get along with everyone? Or is it really not that big of a deal?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid thing to bring up, and I'm not worried or anything, just curious. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wouldn't worry about it, especially in college, most people will be open minded if not atheist themselves. My lack of belief has never caused me any issues.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Over-reaction and stereotyping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just carry a potato around in your pocket, the native irish are still frightened and suspicious of them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

Trust me, no one will care what your religious beliefs are (except the older generation, maybe). I'm an atheist and I've never been called up on it except by my mother - the usual "where did ya get that ****e from?"

People in Ireland (except the older generation, like I said) aren't religious; Ireland - especially Dublin - is very secular (in my opinion anyway) and I've never gotten a feeling of any "deeply held religious convictions" here. If you asked someone if they believed in god they'd probably answer something like: "Yeah I suppose so; there's gotta be something up there!" But catholicism is slowly dying out and the younger generation probably wouldn't even identify as catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Well as long as you dont shove the fact that your an atheist in peoples faces. ie belittle their beliefs etc then I doubt there would be a problem.
    Its not something you need to hide or anything. I cant say I have ever come accross someone being given a hard time because they were an athiest.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Yeah, I'm just starting my postgrad in UCD (Another Irish university) after a 4 year undergrad, and being an atheist has never been a problem. Maybe it's because I did a science course but I doubt it. The atheists (or proclaimed atheists) outweighed the religious by quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

Absolutely nothing to worry about.
    Most of what you hear about Irish religion outside Ireland is due to it's past and scandals such as abuse.

If people are telling you to watch out for an overly strong religious culture (compared to other countries), it is probably becuase they have no experience of Ireland. They don't know what they are talking about quite frankly. People assuming they know about a place without any experience can be dangerous.
    Ireland is a largely secular country like any other.

I have never had any negative reactions to my beliefs and the topic never comes up in my daily life. Many people I know are either agnostic or an atheist, that is a wide variety of people.

The Irish stereotype as overly religious is outdated by about 50 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well as long as you dont shove the fact that your an atheist in peoples faces. ie belittle their beliefs etc then I doubt there would be a problem.
    Its not something you need to hide or anything. I cant say I have ever come accross someone being given a hard time because they were an athiest.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.:)

What (s)he said. Once you're not running around proclaiming, "Look at me I'm an atheist and I mock your value system!" you won't run into any trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

You shouldn't have any problem at all. Ireland is not quite the catholic stronghold that it used to be, and a pretty high precentage of young people here are now effectively atheist/agnostic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

just carry a potato around in your pocket, the native irish are still frightened and suspicious of them.

Indeed, it was this suspicion that led to them boiling them 'alive'. They then exacted the same punishment on protestants. However, when times were hard, they couldn't afford the fuel to boil them seperately so they threw the protestants in with the potatos, and that was the first Irish Stew.

Most Phoney Irish use beef or lamb these days, but its only a real Irish stew when theres a couple of proddies in there. FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OP dont listen to any of the above posts, this is still a staunchly Catholic country, riddled with guilt and oppression and those who claim to be athiest are actually plants by the Catholic church to root out the unbelievers who agree with them. Nuns run TCD and if you're left handed then you'll be cast as a follower of Satan and forced to use your right hand for everything.
    Also, priests abduct children with startling regularity, I think I can actually hear one outside now trying to wriggle his way into my neighbour's kid's bedroom window, usually a loud bang is enough to frighten them away so be aware of this,remember they are also allergic to garlic and pictures of Elton John,this is catholic kryptonite so make sure you carry one in your wallet at all times that can easily be reached, be aware of your surroundings, be vigilant, and stay safe. If you do make it through your tenure at college ensure you spread the word of what goes on here to the rest of the world, too many have stayed silent for too long..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

krudler wrote: »
    OP dont listen to any of the above posts, this is still a staunchly Catholic country, riddled with guilt and oppression and those who claim to be athiest are actually plants by the Catholic church to root out the unbelievers who agree with them. Nuns run TCD and if you're left handed then you'll be cast as a follower of Satan and forced to use your right hand for everything.
    Also, priests abduct children with startling regularity, I think I can actually hear one outside now trying to wriggle his way into my neighbour's kid's bedroom window, usually a loud bang is enough to frighten them away so be aware of this,remember they are also allergic to garlic and pictures of Elton John,this is catholic kryptonite so make sure you carry one in your wallet at all times that can easily be reached, be aware of your surroundings, be vigilant, and stay safe. If you do make it through your tenure at college ensure you spread the word of what goes on here to the rest of the world, too many have stayed silent for too long..

DUDE! You're not suppose to tell potential tourists/students that!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Medicine?!?!? BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP, you're a Brit.... you're fúcked.

If you see anyone in Ireland wearing a ski mask, run away, run quite fast, and don't look back.

:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

AndrewJD wrote: »
    I'm moving to Ireland this Friday to study Medicine at TCD...
    Bring your own leeches. They're very expensive over here, and you 1st year meds go through them at a rate.

And what everyone else said (except krudler :p).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Well I certainly appreciate the (always sincere :p) responses. Do you guys not find that a bit concerning then, that the proud Republic of Ireland is seen as a bit of a Catholic stronghold? These people were teachers, lawyers and doctors who were nattering on about religion, people you'd expect to know a bit better. I dunno. I think it's interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Perception from outside is not really high on the agenda. The way I look at it most priests (and indeed current catholics) will be dead in 50 years and the church will be in it's death throes.

Yes, there are issues that need to addressed now - schools for one - but the writing is on the wall.

We should really be more concerned about the new churches coming in, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Do you guys not find that a bit concerning then, that the proud Republic of Ireland is seen as a bit of a Catholic stronghold?
    Well, depending on how loosely you use the word Catholic, it kind of is. Lots of people with little or no belief in Catholicism will say stupid stuff like we are culturally catholic. Funny to get people whining by eating meat on good friday and being asked why. Even not being religious isn't good enough. Apparently, it is "the right thing to do" external to any religious motives is a common enough line I hear. People are so indoctrinated they can't follow the thought they are expressing to realise how ridiculous they sound.

Oh, the pubs were opened here in Limerick good friday. Wonder if that'll happen again. Some rugby match or something was on this year. Didn't care for it whatever it was, and not even usually much of a drinker, but it was the principle.

It kind of is a Catholic stronghold. Or else it's just that in many circles religion never comes up. There is an unspoken expectation from people that whoever they meet is Catholic. Someone says something else, and there is surprise there. It's pretty much the assumed default until something is said to point out otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

As long as you don't point and laugh at an old lady sitting next to you on the bus and crossing herself as you go past a church, you will not stand out in the least.

I'm originally from Germany, and I never was faced with anything particularly rover-religious in my daily life here. The crossing-oneself-as-one-goes-past-a-church was about the weirdest thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It kind of is a Catholic stronghold. Or else it's just that in many circles religion never comes up. There is an unspoken expectation from people that whoever they meet is Catholic. Someone says something else, and there is surprise there. It's pretty much the assumed default until something is said to point out otherwise.

Only seems to apply to fellow-Irishmen and -women, though.
    I actually got rather surprised reactions when I told someone that my upbringing had been Catholic, they hadn't expected that. When I went on to tell them that I was atheist now, that actually seemed to re-assure them somewhat. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

teachers, doctors etc.... makes you wonder what red top they read on a daily basis, doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Shenshen wrote: »
    Only seems to apply to fellow-Irishmen and -women, though.
    That's a valid point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thats because the idea that someone isnt Catholic may mean they're a Protestant, and in this silly little island of ours thats almost a dirty word with political ramifications, especially among the ignorant,who equate it being a queen loving potato stealer. Even though most "republicans" probably have closer to protestant beliefs than catholic with the stuff they pick and choose to believe from the bible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm originally from the UK (via South Africa), and I've honestly had no problems in almost 11 years in Dublin. It's as if Catholicism is "in the water" here, and everyone's used to it, so few outside the clergy are defensive or preachy about it. You get people calling themselves "Catholic", e.g. in the Census, who almost never go to church or do anything "religious" as such. There are Humanist organisations here who can help with secular weddings / funerals etc.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

OP, the only time your religion (or lack thereof) might be an issue is if a local girl brings you to meet the folks. If that's about to happen, ask her about it. Otherwise, the fact that you're an atheist will cause you significantly less grief than your accent.

And before you worry, your accent is unlikely to cause you any more grief than a slightly wobbly rant at 3am outside a chipper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

religion in Ireland is brought up as something major to look out for.
    Unless you're trying to get your kid into a primary school, then the worst that catholicism can do to you these days is to deny you fresh beer around christmas time and on the friday before easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

And don't freak out when you see loads of people milling around with mucky foreheads around easter either - I was wondering what the hell was going on the first year I was here. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Truth be known the Irish and the British are more alike each other than they are to any other world culture. Foreigners often can't tell the difference between us.

Things will be slightly different here but you're not going to be in for any major culture shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

And don't freak out when you see loads of people milling around with mucky foreheads around easter either - I was wondering what the hell was going on the first year I was here. :eek:
    Yeah, it's just a sacrifice to St. Pancake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Enjoy first and second year OP because it's all downhill from there.
    I'm in the hospital, hungover and I just want the ground to swallow me up.

Ah no it's great fun really. :)

As for your actual question, about 90% of the Irish/English/Canadian med students are athiest/agnostic/anything but religious. It's a course that attracts heathens. Nobody in college is going to care about your religious status anyway. No need to mention it unless you feel the need to.

You know what would help this new person settle in..... an A&A Beers meet up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm moving to Ireland this Friday to study Medicine at TCD, coming from the UK. In the many conversations with friends/family, frequently religion in Ireland is brought up as something major to look out for. I'm an atheist, and here I wouldn't think twice about shouting that to the world, but from what I'm being told, I should be more wary in Ireland.

Now I'm sure there is an element of overreaction and stereotyping in these warnings, but is religion (and I'm mainly getting at Christianity here) really that deeply held? Is being an atheist something I should keep quiet about if I'm trying to get along with everyone? Or is it really not that big of a deal?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid thing to bring up, and I'm not worried or anything, just curious. :)

Not in Trinity in medicine, where I'm sure atheists make up the majority. Personally, I take zero notice of the religious sensitivities of people on the street and I get on fine. Unless you're in a situation where caution is called for, I'd say just go about your normal life.

Of course, Ireland is a deeply conservative Catholic country despite the radical liberalisation it has recently undergone. The Church controls 95% of schools, the constitution mandates the right of the Catholic god to be worshipped by the people, our minister for science tried to lauch a creationist book and abortion is still illegal. So make no mistake, you are stepping into a religious conservative country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd say you'll be more confused by phrases like "I was giving out to him" and "it's in the press" than anything religious. Also learn to order your larger by brand! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Not in Trinity in medicine, where I'm sure atheists make up the majority. Personally, I take zero notice of the religious sensitivities of people on the street and I get on fine. Unless you're in a situation where caution is called for, I'd say just go about your normal life.

Of course, Ireland is a deeply conservative Catholic country despite the radical liberalisation it has recently undergone. The Church controls 95% of schools, the constitution mandates the right of the Catholic god to be worshipped by the people, our minister for science tried to lauch a creationist book and abortion is still illegal. So make no mistake, you are stepping into a religious conservative country.

Hmmm I'd think of it more as a country emerging very quickly from religious conservativeness (is that a word?). Same thing I guess but it gives a better, and I think more accurate impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

strobe wrote: »
    Hmmm I'd think of it more as a country emerging very quickly from religious conservativeness (is that a word?). Same thing I guess but it gives a better, and I think more accurate impression.

Something's up alright: in the last couple of years, we've seen Atheist Ireland established and growing in prominence, widespread media coverage of the "count me out" website helping with defection from the Catholic church, and - not least - a big increase in the number of people reading and posting in this forum, which will very soon become the biggest religion & spirituality forum on this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

darjeeling wrote: »
    Something's up alright: in the last couple of years, we've seen Atheist Ireland established and growing in prominence, widespread media coverage of the "count me out" website helping with defection from the Catholic church, and - not least - a big increase in the number of people reading and posting in this forum, which will very soon become the biggest religion & spirituality forum on this site.

Perhaps the rapture is coming :eek: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

ShooterSF wrote: »

Maybe - followers of the Rapture Index will be only too well aware that we're in what can only be called a bull market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Op, you might find this useful. It was for the yanks, but you limeys are practically the same anyway.

ShooterSF wrote: »

Rapture happened ages ago. Turns out only about 6 or 7 people were chosen. The world didn't notice them leave.

Advertisement