Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool - 1:30pm Sunday 19th Sept

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

PHB wrote: »
    Ref pissed me off today with the sheer amount of shirt pulling that he allowed going on. Is it any surprise that Nani dives in the box considering he was giving nothing for the rest of the fouling. Otherwise he seemed to get the big decisions right, although imo favoured Liverpool but thats to be expected.

GTFO

You deserved to win the game by a country mile but all of the above is utter crap.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Deserved win for United, dominated most of the game. Second half was great for the neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

PHB wrote: »
    Is it any surprise that Nani dives in the box considering he was giving nothing for the rest of the fouling.

I'm afraid Nani's diving is no surprise at this stage. He was an utter disgrace today though, and certainly didn't just confine his cheating to the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

darsar wrote: »
    Then use it at an appropriate time, bloody hell.

Would you like a tissue sweetheart?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I thought O'Shea had a good game with the exception of the foul leading to the second game. Yes he was caught the wrong side of Torres, put his hand accross him, Torres sees he's not going to get the ball so rightly goes down. It was a freekick. It was a yellow card as it's wasn't an obvious goal scoring opppurtunity. The freekick was well worked but Fletcher still should have stayed in the wall. But other than that O'Shea got forward well and was fairly solid in defense.

Other than that I thought the result was well deserved. Liverpool didn't offer too much in attack. They were much better in a 4-4-2 formation though, think Woy really needs to stick with that.

Some blatant fouling in the Liverpool box in the first half was overlooked, but these things happen. Nani annoys me with his play-acting and I hope he stops, the fool. Scholes and Giggs are still performing well. Rooney needs to improve. Johnny Evans worries me, always looks likely to make a mistake but he is young. Nice to see Macheda and Anderson come on. And lastly Berbatov had a great game. Really reminded me of Cantona at times. Hope his form continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Drumpot wrote: »
    Some reading to help the pain . .

n285146.jpg

Eh, it was outside the box. It wasn't a penalty but definitely a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Some reading to help the pain . .

n285146.jpg

What pain Utd deserved to win the game, just saying that Carragher was outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Deserved win for United. Liverpool were severely lacking in creativity.

I still cannot understand how O'Shea didn't get a straight red card, given he was last man???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Anyone got the goals online yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

rossie1977 wrote: »
    meh if utd were to get those pushes then what about o'sheas push in the back on torres in the box in the first half, yes they have been given but all would have been harsh and carragher was clearly outside the box but that hasn't stopped teams getting penos in the past :p

Do you know whats even funnier . . Whenever there is a questionable penalty decision for or against United, its the old "you never get penos at old trafford" crap . . Pool have gotten 2 penos in the last 3 years at our ground. Vidic was sent off 2 seasons ago at old trafford. I have no problem with the decisions given, its the whole "you never get things against united" sh*te that is used anytime it suits and the rest of the time its ignored that its not a thing confined to united.

I have seen plenty of dodgy decisions go for pool and against their opponents on front of the Kop over the years. Even remember gerrard getting many many questionable penos.

I remember in the season Pool were challenging united for the league, in a game v Hull at anfield and then v Wigan, some of the decisions that got pool back into those games were horrific (and the usual rants about united would of been said had united gotten similar decisions). In both games, pool were losing and very dodgy decisions helped them go onto win those games. . Nothing was made of it..

Its football, sometimes the decision go for you, sometimes against, but the hyporcratic stance and double standards that many people take in relation to united never ceases to amaze me.

Webb was "having a poor game" by some peoples estimations (when he was giving everything to Liverpool), until he didnt send O'shea off (debatable), at which he then becomes a United ref. . It really does sum up how ignorantly bias people are against United and why United fans always feel they have to defend their team against unfair criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

What pain Utd deserved to win the game, just saying that Carragher was outside the box.

Didn't look deliberate and no foul given looked the right decision too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

nullzero wrote: »
    Would you like a tissue sweetheart?

Keep them for yourself when your mopping up the puke from over celebrating such drivel. SAF brain washes fans into thinking you nearly should have won ten nil to take away from the poor form of most of the team. One man got you out of a hole, I certainly don't think Reina was over worked.

Also, not just for the Berba header from the corner, what was Konchesky at? He was on neither post and behind Reina in the most useless positions from corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Check footyroom for the goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ardent wrote: »

I still cannot understand how O'Shea didn't get a straight red card, given he was last man???

The referee deemed that Van Der Sar would have gotten to the ball first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

NeVeR wrote: »
    Anyone got the goals online yet ?

• Advertisement

But that doesn't matter. It was a foul, O'Shea was last man and it should be an automatic red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Very nearly threw points away again today. Hopefully we can get some consistentcy going in the coming weeks with some favourable (although tricky) fixtures coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭D/C

Absolutely delighted with the result today, massive 3 points!
    Berbatov was just brilliant! Vidic solid! Nobody else really stood out for praise, some performances were very poor.

Liverpool were absolutely useless in the first half, stepped it up for spells in the second! They didnt deserve anything from the game.

Can't wait to watch MOTD2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Just seen the goal now. Was savage but way too built up! Thought it was going to be outrageous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I know this is the sky rhetoric now being regurgitated as the mantra to explain the decision by fans but I always thought last man fouling equals red card.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

But that doesn't matter. It was a foul, O'Shea was last man and it should be an automatic red card.

It wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity.

It's not that fcuking hard to comprehend.

baz2009 wrote: »
    It wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Pool have 3 tough away fixtures out of the way now. Meireles Cole are going to provide much needed quality. Poulsen did a good job too. Need to win a few on the bounce,got beaten by a great individual performance but some positives there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I don't agree.

Torres would have got no where near it, VDS had it easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

united deserved to win, stupid penalty and stupid free kick gave liverpool two stupid goals, never looked like scoring, didn't deserve anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Great result, delighted today. Webb made some errors there is no doubt about it, but am not gonna get petty. United only have themselves to blame for letting the worst 'pool performance for a very long time to even come close to getting anything from today. Would have been an absolute injustice but thats football, sometimes it works for you other times it just leaves you frustrated.

Now get that defence sorted out SAF and get Rooney back in shape and we can push on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Do you know whats even funnier . . Whenever there is a questionable penalty decision for or against United, its the old "you never get penos at old trafford" crap . . Pool have gotten 2 penos in the last 3 years at our ground. Vidic was sent off 2 seasons ago at old trafford. I have no problem with the decisions given, its the whole "you never get things against united" sh*te that is used anytime it suits and the rest of the time its ignored that its not a thing confined to united.

I have seen plenty of dodgy decisions go for pool and against their opponents on front of the Kop over the years. Even remember gerrard getting many many questionable penos.

I remember in the season Pool were challenging united for the league, in a game v Hull at anfield and then v Wigan, some of the decisions that got pool back into those games were horrific (and the usual rants about united would of been said had united gotten similar decisions). In both games, pool were losing and very dodgy decisions helped them go onto win those games. . Nothing was made of it..

Its football, sometimes the decision go for you, sometimes against, but the hyporcratic stance and double standards that many people take in relation to united never ceases to amaze me.

Webb was "having a poor game" by some peoples estimations (when he was giving everything to Liverpool), until he didnt send O'shea off (debatable), at which he then becomes a United ref. . It really does sum up how ignorantly bias people are against United and why United fans always feel they have to defend their team against unfair criticism.

sssh.. Don;t say things like that.. not unless you want a minutes silence.. or a bycott of the site.. Liverpool fans are the worlds biggest moaners.. everybody is against them and they get none of the 50-50 decisions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

opr wrote: »
    I know this is the sky rhetoric now being regurgitated as the mantra to explain the decision by fans but I always thought last man fouling equals red card.

Opr

Actually it's the BBC mantra:
    1457: It's incident o'clock. John O'Shea hauls down Fernando Torres on the edge of the penalty area - he isn't sent off because Edwin van der Sar may well have got to the ball first.

My initial reaction was that he was going to be sent off but I'm not clear on the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I could be wrong but I don't think the term "last man" is in the rules. A player should be sent off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. Now 99 times out of a hundred, the last man is denying a clear goalscoring opportunity by committing a foul, but it's at the referee's discretion whether he is or not.

As a Liverpool fan I'm more annoyed by Liverpool's performance than that one particular decision. United deserved the win despite the brainless defensive errors that cost them the goals. Taking positives from the game, it's refreshing to see hodgson making such tactical changes when needed. It's so frustrating seeing the likes of early Torres substitutions and Lucas/El Zhar coming on. Also the second half showed we can play well with Torres and Ngog on the pitch, and that Maxi's passenger status appears to have been confirmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sloppy lapse of concentration for the last goal :s utd didnt play particularly well tbh but deserved to win in the end. if you make the mistakes against players like berbatov they will be punished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I don't agree.

There wasn't a hope in god of torres getting the ball.

And plus the fact he prob would have done a hamstring accelerating to get the ball so O shea did liverpool a favour taking him down :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

There is alot of ****e talk from bitter liverpool fans, o'shea could have been shown red because of how it looked BUT it was the right decision he wasn't shown red because it wasn't a goal scoring oppourtunity, the ball was too close to VDS and Torres wouldnt have got to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Delighted with the win. Well deserved, not because United were particularly impressive, because Liverpool were so poor. I've never seen them look so one paced.

United did their best to throw it away but got there in the end. Berbatov was immense, as was Vidic. No one else really stood out.

Nani did ok. Lots of complaints about his antics today, fair enough, but Liverepool fans you should also have a look at Torres, never shy of going down and did his best to get O Shea sent off later in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Let hope for a repeat of the last time Gerard did a bit of camera lovin'

I've fallen in love with a piece of technology :P

98672fecbca58c0663d09ff5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So what's the ban count on the thread anyway? I make it 2-0 to United.

very constructive post mate, keep em coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Another win for united over liverpool:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

No two ways about it United deserved the victory today. Lol at any Liverpool fan trying to accuse Webb of getting the O'Shea call wrong. Torres was never getting the ball on Webb got it spot on. What an absolute disgrace Nani was today mind you. Rolling around on the ground like a baby several times after nothing challanges from Liverpool players. Disgusting to see. Lol at Vidic's dive also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A lecturer talking about sex asks a female student "Do you know what your arsehole does when you have an orgasm"

"Yes" she replied, "he goes to old trafford to watch Utd".

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    A lecturer talking about sex asks a female student "Do you know what your arsehole does when you have an orgasm"

"Yes" she replied, "he goes to old traffird to watching Utd".

She should pay more attention because her grammar is terrible.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    She should pay more attention because her grammar is terrible.

Fixed now I do apoligise

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Delighted with the result.

If liverpool got anything from that game it would have papered over the many cracks.

4 shots in total (including the free and pen) is pretty abysmal for any team let alone one with aspirations of a top 4 finish. No pace anywhere in that team maybe johnson and no urgency. On that performance Fulham are a better team than liverpool.

Also delighted for berba. He was majestic. Carragher never really recovered from the turn in the first half.

Nani was annoying as hell though.

Fixed now I do apoligise

apologi excepted

lordgoat wrote: »
    Delighted with the result.

If liverpool got anything from that game it would have papered over the many cracks.

4 shots in total (including the free and pen) is pretty abysmal for any team let alone one with aspirations of a top 4 finish. No pace anywhere in that team maybe johnson and no urgency. On that performance Fulham are a better team than liverpool.

Also delighted for berba. He was majestic. Carragher never really recovered from the turn in the first half.

Nani was annoying as hell though.

Well cracks are appearing in the utd back 4 as well, where did you get the only 4 shots in total, BBC have it at 7 not including the pen and free kick, I think you should be more worried about your own team, at the moment your miles behind Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What have liverpool supporters and lemons got in common ?

They are both as bitter as F**k. .

• Advertisement

Anyone want decent highlights can find then at :

http://premtube.com/manuvslivr.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

What have liverpool supporters and lemons got in common ?

They are both as bitter as F**k. .

I preferred Niallo's joke. Cause yours is just ****.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Well cracks are appearing in the utd back 4 as well, where did you get the only 4 shots in total, BBC have it at 7 not including the pen and free kick, I think you should be more worried about your own team, at the moment your miles behind Chelsea

Never said i was happy with the united back four, but if you need to focus on that that's fine my me.

I don't konw where the beeb got 7 unless they are including the "crosses" from Konchesky and Poulsen and that header from Meireles - not shots imo = 4.

TBH i am a little worried about chelsea. You know who i'm not worried over - Teams in the bottom 5 of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Well cracks are appearing in the utd back 4 as well, where did you get the only 4 shots in total, BBC have it at 7 not including the pen and free kick, I think you should be more worried about your own team, at the moment your miles behind Chelsea[/QUOTE]

next week is chelsea's first test of the season away to man city.. so far they have had an easy start to the season.. with 5 easy games.. fulham away, everton away and liverpool at home will be tough games for chelsea, just like they have been for utd..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

tumbleweed.gif?t=1231616286

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement