Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool - 1:30pm Sunday 19th Sept

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The votes for the Man United Man of the Match can be entered via the following link.

remember, please be sensible and not trollish with your votes.

Vote is open to all, just please specify whether you are a United supporter or not (one of the questions on the form)

If there are any issues with the form, please let me know - first time I have done one of these so there could be problems...

Thanks all.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

Is there any need for a vote. Like a Chelsea victory over Blackpool, the result is inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Could Koncesky have been sent off for trying to stop the first goal with his hand maybe? he made contact with the ball but failed to stop it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

When will Stevie G realise kissing camera's generates an awful lot of bad karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Must say Niallo, you conducted yourself like a star again today, an absolute star, take a bow son.

kryogen wrote: »
    Could Koncesky have been sent off for trying to stop the first goal with his hand maybe? he made contact with the ball but failed to stop it

If he had kept it out, then yeah, it's a red. But the goal was scored!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    So, it's still a deliberate handball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nope - he didn't prevent a goalscoring opportunity in the end.

on another day he could have gone though!

i think it would have been kinda harsh, but.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Is there any need for a vote. Like a Chelsea victory over Blackpool, the result is inevitable.

for this game yeah, but for the player of the month/season calculations the second/third spot votes can be important.

Lawros pants probably deserve a thread of their own tbh

• Advertisement

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Apologies for wording my post wrong, it wasn't a dig at all Man U fans.

It's no surprise from you tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ah, i can finally vent, i hope this post is theraputic for me as write it.

i went into this game with not a lot of hope. Utd were a wounded animal after a couple of ridiculous results really by their standards, and we had been fairly limp ourselves. and judging by history, Utd have a strong record of storming back after disappointments.

then, before kick-off, i was rejuvinated by the fact that Roy had taken the 'gamble' and thrown Meireles into the mix for his first Premiership start. f*cking delighted. i actually thought if he could somehow hit the ground running we could have a bit of composure in the middle. then i watch in horror as the match starts, and Roy has f*cking put him further up the field than Gerrard, hence us not really seeing him until the 2nd half...

anyway, Utd started brilliantly, and really, throughout the match had a control over it, without ever really stamping huge authority on it; if that makes sense. Liverpool sat at least 10 yards too deep, and Utd got into fabulous positions without really having any cutting edge. this was a running theme throughout IMO.

Torres was embarrassing for that 1st goal. i mean, in an attacking sense he was owned by Vidic (even though he had nigh-on no supply line), but to not even try get the right side of Berba on that corner was almost more criminal. a deserved lead. then after HT, it was even enough until Berba's moment of genius, but we couldn't really argue with being two behind; we created f*ck all, though Meireles was having an influence on the game now he was back in his actual position.

i don't know how we got back in it, but we did. N'Gog funnily enough was a bit of an inspired substitution in the end. with 2 up top, it occupied Vidic a bit more, he didn't just have to worry about Torres, so Torres took the opportunity to sit on Evans, and it worked, with Evans making a ridiculously rash challenge. i had no idea what he and Fletcher were getting so worked up about. good penalty by Stevie...then the free...

i'll be honest, on first viewing, i thought Webb bottled it. but then, that's why he's the best ref in the league and i'm not. i said it before the game, and i'll say it again, he gets these games for a reason. the yellow was spot on on second viewing, though JOS was an idiot to risk it. brilliant spring move by Meireles in the wall too; lovely little cameo to give Gerrard space to shoot into ;)

Hodgson got given a gift. and what did he do? f*ck it away is what he did. taking off Meireles was the single dumbest thing he could have done. i was f*cking livid. Jova came on and we lost any control we had on the game - i have no idea what he was thinking aul' Roy. but we had a big chance to keep it 2-2 with Meireles on the pitch.

and so it transpired, Berba out jumping Carra for the winner.

all in all, a couple of things...

1) from a Utd point of view, having Berba in the form he's in, with Rooney needing the attention off him, is just a God-send. if Carra sees him again it''ll be too soon. absolutely embarrassed him for most of the 90.

2) also from a Utd point of view, i don't know what's gotten into the players' heads, but this recent habit of giving away leads has to be getting worrying. we weren't good today, and still very easily could have drawn at least. Fergie needs to power home a few home truths.

3) more importantly (;)), from a Liverpool point of view, the first half especially was just a procession past us. we offered little or no resistance in midfield. Poulsen dallied. Meireles didn't know where he was but was doing the best he could. there was no control, and we sat, as i say, 10 yards too deep.

there were encouraging signs for us. i thought Joe did excellently with the service he was given, and set up the Torres chance which lead to the penalty extremely well. some of the link up play involving Meireles, Stevie and Joe was very neat. also i think Meireles looks like a proper player. i really really like the look of him already. we've a shot at top 4, although it's an outside one.

so all in all, a very subdued performance from our lot, with little signs of encouragement.

for Utd, if you can get that defence/mentality/whatever's causing the letting go of leads sorted, you'll always have a chance of the PL.

and in closing, Fergie can still f*ck off if he thinks it should've been 10...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Some well-needed sense injected into the thread from SlickRic, great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Always thought Fletcher was a tough c**t, put his body on the line for the team, fcuken wimp jumping out of the way of the ball!!:rolleyes:

Always thought Fletcher was a tough c**t, put his body on the line for the team, fcuken wimp jumping out of the way of the ball!!:rolleyes:

quite clearly you need to go to specsavers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

SlickRic wrote: »
    Hodgson got given a gift. and what did he do? f*ck it away is what he did. taking off Meireles was the single dumbest thing he could have done. i was f*cking livid. Jova came on and we lost any control we had on the game - i have no idea what he was thinking aul' Roy. but we had a big chance to keep it 2-2 with Meireles on the pitch.

Thought this too was a huge mistake. Made no sense. The minute he came off I just knew that we would not get anything from the game.

Thought this too was a huge mistake. Made no sense. The minute he came off I just knew that we would not get anything from the game.

if he'd brought Lucas on even, i would forgive him quicker. but f*cking Jovanovic?

he obviously had a brain fart of epic proportions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Think he was behind the line so it didn't matter. If he were sent off then it would have been a peno and not a goal anyway.
    SlickRic wrote: »

i'll be honest, on first viewing, i thought Webb bottled it. but then, that's why he's the best ref in the league and i'm not. i said it before the game, and i'll say it again, he gets these games for a reason. the yellow was spot on on second viewing, though JOS was an idiot to risk it. brilliant spring move by Meireles in the wall too; lovely little cameo to give Gerrard space to shoot into ;)

I don't have access to MOTD etc so I haven't seen multiple replays so I was just wondering what you saw to make you think it was a yellow.
    I was sure the rule was last man foul was a red card. Did Webb explain the decision?

VDS was most likely going to get to the ball first, Torres was too far from the ball to be considered in control of it etc.. correct decision imo

• Advertisement

ibh wrote: »
    I don't have access to MOTD etc so I haven't seen multiple replays so I was just wondering what you saw to make you think it was a yellow.
    I was sure the rule was last man foul was a red card. Did Webb explain the decision?

the rule doesn't have the term 'last man' in it.

it's 'obvious goalscoring opportunity' that is in the law.

Torres wasn't getting to the ball, therefore he wasn't getting a chance to score. if the ball had travelled 3/4 yards left of where it did, then yes, probably a sending off.

hence why it was actually an annoyingly epic decision on Webb's part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Firstly, good post slickRic, honest and well written. Forum needs more of that.

Have to agree with all the points you made. Only got to watch the game now as I'm in the states. We are very lucky to have Berba in the form he is in, long may it continue, if Rooney can get his head back in the game then there is gonna be a s*it storm. This defensive situation is getting concerning, although it may just be a coincidence, hopefully we won't see to much more of that, Rio should be back soon and hopefully stay fit, he looked pretty solid on Tuesday. Good to see Anderson get some time in too, hopefully he kicks on soon, I still have hope for him, and hope he can reach his potential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here is Lord Fergies entirely unbiased view of the game
    "At 2-0 it could have been a cricket score," Ferguson said. "Two-all was an absolute farce. It was a game we absolutely dominated and I was saying to myself, 'It could be 10.' So when it looked like ending 2-2, it would have been a travesty of a scoreline.

"They [Liverpool] had the momentum when it went to 2-2, but they never offered anything, did they? They had to depend on decisions from the linesman to get back into the game. [Edwin] van der Sar hasn't had a save to make, [Paul] Scholes was controlling the tempo in midfield and we looked dangerous up front, with Berbatov and Nani in particular. I couldn't see us losing the game."

Ferguson accused the Liverpool striker Fernando Torres of trying to get John O'Shea sent off in the challenge that led to the free-kick from which Gerrard scored his second. "I've watched it and Torres made a meal out of it," he said. "He made an absolute meal of it to try to get our player sent off."

We'll presume his views of Nanis theatricals was blocked by Howard Webbs arse.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/19/manchester-united-liverpool-sir-alex-ferguson

mike65 wrote: »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/19/manchester-united-liverpool-sir-alex-ferguson

Ferguson is just a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You're hardly in a position to have an opposing view, didn't you turn the telly off atfter United's second?;)

already had Lord Fergie ( its only Sir, but whatever) statements brought up on thread. What you expect him to say?

flahavaj wrote: »
    You're hardly in a position to have an opposing view, didn't you turn the telly off atfter United's second?;)

TV? You don't think I'd pay SKY to watch Liverpool lose do you?

kryogen, it would be nice for Fergie to be a bit less of a triumphalist tit. He knows that Berbs saved his bacon today.

Berba saved the bacon, but besides two stupid individual mistakes Liverpool never threatened and to be 2-2 was ridiculous. that it could have been 10 is also ridiculous of course

already had Lord Fergie ( its only Sir, but whatever) statements brought up on thread. What you expect him to say?

the truth to be fair.

something like 'we dominated, but didn't create a whole lot of clear cut opportunities, but the opportunities we did give Berbatov were taken clinically, and i think reflected the balance of play'.

he could even have said, 'i think 3-2 slightly flattered them', and i'd have had no problem with it.

but sure this is all assuming he's not trolling, which he obviously is. so it's best not take him seriously when he says sh*t like that.

also, he gets like this when he's trying to protect his own team. he knows his defence f*cked up what should have been a coast, and that Berba's brillance, in a weird way, saved him 2 points that shouldn't have been in question.

• Advertisement

Berba didn't save Fergie's bacon, he saved JO'S and Evans bacon. United should have been 2-0 up at least at HT, it was a very dominant first half, second half was closer but 3-2 really flattered Liverpool today.

We should have actually gone three two up. Meireles missed a sitter!!

could have, nowhere even near should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Fergie doing what he does best...we are not talking about UTD's mistakes anymore but again reacting to what Fergie has said. Attention on him, not players. It pretty much works every time!

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    could have, nowhere even near should have.

No we should have. He should have scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

You don't believe that really, do you? You only had two shots on target for **** sake, both from set pieces infront of goal, you can't honestly clutch a questionable sitter when we had Liverpool on the back foot for the majority of 90, starting from the very beginning.

You weren't watching the same game the rest of us were.

• Advertisement

Again could have, not should have, in no way whatsoever did liverpool even deserve one goal, they never should scored 3.

and fergie is right, could have been at least 5-0 if you look at nani missing his great chance and hitting the crossbar, could have easily ended up 10-0 if he put his chances away.

Nailz wrote: »
    You don't believe that really, do you? You only had two shots on target for **** sake, both from set pieces infront of goal, you can't honestly clutch a questionable sitter when we had Liverpool on the back foot for the majority of 90, starting from the very beginning.

You weren't watching the same game the rest of us were.

I was watching the game. Liverpool deserved nothing from it, Utd were far the better side today.

What i am saying is that Meireles should have scored which would have put us three two up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

You think that was an easy chance? I dont think by any means he 'should' have scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Nani should have scored too.

To say Meireles should have scored is being a bit hard on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That second goal wasn't half bad was it?
    Nani's shot off the woodwork would have been a beauty if it went in.
    Gerrard's penalty was some belter and his free kick was well worked too.

I think Fergie reacted like that not to distract from on the pitch failings but because he still has a chip on his shoulder about Liverpool. I doubt you'll hear him be such a bad winner again this season except for the return leg if Utd prevail.

I think Fergie reacted like that not to distract from on the pitch failings but because he still has a chip on his shoulder about Liverpool. I doubt you'll hear him be such a bad winner again this season except for the return leg if Utd prevail.

You say he has a chip on his shoulder about Liverpool like he has some reason to be jealous or feel inferior about them. Which clearly isn't the case these days, or hasn't been for quite some time.

I agree, which is why he needs to get over himself. I think there is something in him so that, until Utd have their 19th title under his command, he'll just keep niggling away at Liverpool.

I agree, which is why he needs to get over himself. I think there is something in him so that, until Utd have their 19th title under his command, he'll just keep niggling away at Liverpool.

I think you're reading way too much into what are merely the type of comments Fergie makes after every match. Its amusing that people still even deem them worthy of comment after 25 years tbh.

I think its more of a general dislike of the club tbh.

I agree, which is why he needs to get over himself.

TBH, I don't think Fergie is the one that needs to get over himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That was fun....... in the end! Need sleep.

Who was Fletcher giving out to when the peno was awarded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who was Fletcher giving out to when the peno was awarded?

No-one, he was just making sure he was out of the way of the ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement