Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool - 1:30pm Sunday 19th Sept

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I cant wait!! Seen as I only started posting here in the summer this thread better live up to the hype!!
    Oh and Utd to smash pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

utd should really be beating this liverpool side all things considered so all the pressure should be on them :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

TechnoPool wrote: »
    im cool so i dont do it :) , long time since i had homework ha.

Sure rio IF he was ever near a world class CB, he is long past it and his best.

1-1 draw

Rio was and still is a good CB. The term world class is over rated on far too many players including Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Vanbis wrote: »
    Rio was and still is a good CB. The term world class is over rated on far too many players including Torres.

im not disputing that though, id stil rate him as a very decent CB for any team.

World class is thrown around far far too much these days and there is very little players that it should stick too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Jesus.

Rio and Torres are both world class players.

They were both untouchable in their respective positions when they were at their peak (funnily enough, 2007-08 for both).

Ronaldo was the best player in the world that year, but Torres and Rio both put on an absolute masterclass in how to read games and counter pretty much everything that opponents threw at them. They were phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

#15 wrote: »
    Jesus.

Rio and Torres are both world class players.

They were both untouchable in their respective positions when they were at their peak (funnily enough, 2007-08 for both).

Ronaldo was the best player in the world that year, but Torres and Rio both put on an absolute masterclass in how to read games and counter pretty much everything that opponents threw at them. They were phenomenal.

Some good points but Torres hasnt peaked yet imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Torres looks miles off the pace these last few months though. He just doesn't look like he has that burst if pace. Is he still carrying an injury?

Rob113 wrote: »
    Torres looks miles off the pace these last few months though. He just doesn't look like he has that burst if pace. Is he still carrying an injury?

He's over his injuries but it usually takes him a while to get going properly.

He's not even playing at 70% imo.

Cole will be a big danger on Sunday. He was excellent tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Using the "Midweek EuroGame Results and Starting 11 Formula" (TM) I predict a 3-1 win for Liverpool.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Some good points but Torres hasnt peaked yet imo

To clarify: if his career ended today, that season would be seen as his peak.

I agree with you. I also expect him to surpass that performance in the future, but until then, 2008 will be seen as his best season.

Know what I mean?

• Advertisement

I agree with you. I also expect him to surpass that performance in the future, but until then, 2008 will be seen as his best season.

Know what I mean?

Last year his ratio of goals per game was actually the best since he arrived.

18 in 22 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I cant wait!! Seen as I only started posting here in the summer this thread better live up to the hype!!

Welcome to the thread, newbie. This is where the mods earn their corn!!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Last year his ratio of goals per game was actually the best since he arrived.

18 in 22 games.

22 games is my problem with that stat though.

I'd take the 2008 Torres over the 2010. IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

monkey9 wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread, newbie. This is where the mods earn their corn!!

what f*cking corn??!!

:pac:

SlickRic wrote: »
    what f*cking corn??!!

Coke and hookers?

Will be messy I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Know what I mean?

yeah mate i see what you are saying but i was commenting in line with you talking about our aging defender and their striker who has a few more years on the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SlickRic wrote: »
    what f*cking corn??!!

The Corn of Satisfaction!!! (Or is that the next Harry Potter film?:confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Cole will be a big danger on Sunday. He was excellent tonight.

He has scored a few lovely goals against United for Chelsea, bit of cash on Cole anytime on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Gonna be the first to say what should've been said at the start, boring 0-0 draw. Hopefully Torres will sneak it in injury time. Will be watching tyrone -v- cork instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

^different times and teams... I would have missed this game if Dublin made the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RasTa wrote: »
    ^different times and teams... I would have missed this game if Dublin made the final.

my first 3rd sunday in september missing in 7 years :( i missed the city game last year and the arsenal game in 06, what is it with big games for united on these days....when i saw the fixtures, i went a little bit mad.

not a problem in the end though. every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

redzerdrog wrote: »
    yeh the european cup and world cup are nothing good chap. If rio was so bad that day as you say fergie should be ashamed of himself for playing a man that no doubt should have been in hospital he was in that much pain.

For his country fair enough,even though he couldnt get his ass off the bench in the world cup but shur we wont mention that.Hasnt won a thing for the mid table club that is liverpool yet.
    Rio was badly injured that day.Shur rooney plyed against bayern and limped through most of the game.Wenger played gallas against barca last season and he had to be replaced early on as he clearly wasnt fit.
    I think the only manager that should be ashamed is benitez for failing to win a league title

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/21/rio-ferdinand-hid-injury

That shows how bad off ferdinand was.Nice to prove people wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why should Benitez be "ashamed" at failing to win a league title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Anthony16 wrote: »
    For his country fair enough,even though he couldnt get his ass off the bench in the world cup but shur we wont mention that.Hasnt won a thing for the mid table club that is liverpool yet.
    Rio was badly injured that day.Shur rooney plyed against bayern and limped through most of the game.Wenger played gallas against barca last season and he had to be replaced early on as he clearly wasnt fit.
    I think the only manager that should be ashamed is benitez for failing to win a league title

I dont think you should be posting on your Phone while in school, god knows you should be concetrating as hard as you can.

kryogen wrote: »
    Why should Benitez be "ashamed" at failing to win a league title?

He always put champions league as a priority despite the pool fans being so anxious at losing their 18 title record,which in the end they did.2-0 down against reading a few seasons back and he threw in the towel to rest players for the CL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He always put champions league as a priority despite the pool fans being so anxious at losing their 18 title record,which in the end they did.2-0 down against reading a few seasons back and he threw in the towel to rest players for the CL

thanks for clearing that up....ashamed indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

pool fans being so anxious at losing their 18 title record,which in the end they did.

Maybe in your world, planet bullshít, they did, but here on earth with rest of us Liverpool still have their "18 title record", and no team has yet surpassed that.

I dont think you should be posting on your Phone while in school, god knows you should be concetrating as hard as you can.

no need for me to concentrate hard seeing as i got 580 points in my leaving first time round.Add to that the fact im a college student. Another ignorant statement is proved wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Anthony, I love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

no need for me to concentrate hard seeing as i got 580 points in my leaving first time round.

Obviously you failed maths if you think Liverpool have finished mid-table in recent seasons.

• Advertisement

This thread should provide amusement for the next couple of days anyway.....

I never ever enjoy this fixture. I always find it far too tense tbh.

This thread should provide amusement for the next couple of days anyway.....

I never ever enjoy this fixture. I always find it far too tense tbh.

I'm kinda the same.

Whenever I think we're geared up to do well in it, we usually fail to perform, but when I think we'll be battered, like I do about this up coming game, we do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yep, i love the build up, but hate the games. ill be a nervous wreck sitting there on sunday watching it. too much at stake in these games.

yep, i love the build up, but hate the games. ill be a nervous wreck sitting there on sunday watching it. too much at stake in these games.

I think we all know how liverpool will play.They will be well organised and functional and try to put scholes under pressure as much as possible.Mascherano will be a big loss to them though for this type of game.he was immense at anfiled last year(well in a defensive manner).Fletch wasnt available that day though,so i can see united winning 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Such a tough on to call, for some reason I think it will be a pretty tame affair and a 1-1 draw. No sendings off for a change!!!!! Which probably means one team winning 4-3 and 3 red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

utd should really be beating this liverpool side all things considered so all the pressure should be on them :p:p:p

Pressure is for tyres and bouncy castles, GWAN United :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think we all know how liverpool will play.They will be well organised and functional and try to put scholes under pressure as much as possible.

Fulham Liverpool will probably roll over, tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

This game will be like two bald headed men fighting over a comb.
    Neither are in the same class as chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

This game will be like two bald headed men fighting over a comb.
    Neither are in the same class as chelsea.

United may not be quite as good as chelsea but liverpool are Waaaaaaaaaaaaay behind both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Not a United fan, but just wanted to know if any of the lads here think Gibbo might feature at some point? Thought he was their only real threat against Rangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

cant see gibson getting a start with the form goal king scholes is in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ah, the first batch of deletions. lovely.

lads, to whom this concerns...

this thread has actually gone fine, and has been pretty tame, and by and large respectful.

please don't resort to lowest common denominator playground antics.

grow up and stay on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Guys, do you think it will be Rio and Vidic in defense on Sunday or will Johnny Evans be playing again? I hope not, he didn't look great against Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think Rio will be at home reading the paper

http://twitter.com/MissJenThompson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Usually get pretty excited about this fixture but feeling a bit meh about football these days. England's two most historic and decorated clubs are now the most debt ridden in football and it all seems like a sideshow to whats going on in the boardroom. Sad really.

Mister men wrote: »
    Usually get pretty excited about this fixture but feeling a bit meh about football these days. England's two most historic and decorated clubs are now the most debt ridden in football and it all seems like a sideshow to whats going on in the boardroom. Sad really.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just so everyone knows there is a Charter update that will be in place from tomorrow so play nice.

Linky

Frisbee wrote: »
    Just so everyone knows there is a Charter update that will be in place from tomorrow so play nice.

Linky
    I can see that going horribly wrong and making a lotta people angry. Stinks of overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tough! You and the rest of us have been given fair warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I can see that going horribly wrong and making a lotta people angry. Stinks of overkill.

Maybe, but hopefully it will stop people getting into petty name calling and responding to trolls. All you have to do is report posts you don't like as opposed to responding to them. Simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement