Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool - 1:30pm Sunday 19th Sept

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

SlickRic wrote: »
    100%.

and it's the part of his game that gets ignored so often.

let's hope we stay nice and solid, and the likes of Meireles, Cole and Stevie can get on the ball and stop us from being wasteful in possession.

What sort of player is Meireles? Haven't seen him play at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ming the Meireles is a box-to-box player, on Thursday he started quietly but in the second half he definitely got further forward and added momentum to Liverpools attack. If the line up is correct Poulson should get little further than halfway line leaving Meireles to get up the pitch as and when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

mike65 wrote: »
    Ming the Meireles is a box-to-box player, on Thursday he started quietly but in the second half he definitely got further forward and added momentum to Liverpools attack.

He reminded me a bit of Aquilani. Just a little more durable. Links things from front to back. Looks more disciplined though and a lot better defensively.

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Berba rarely starts these games but due to his form this season he is worth an inclusion.Rooney on the left may be the way to go as we need that extra man in midfield

Ferguson has already confirmed that Berbatov will start. My real point was that unlike you, Im pretty sure Rooney will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

mike65 wrote: »
    Ming the Meireles is a box-to-box player, on Thursday he started quietly but in the second half he definitely got further forward and added momentum to Liverpools attack. If the line up is correct Poulson should get little further than halfway line leaving Meireles to get up the pitch as and when.

Mike you're only supposed to give sh*t nicknames to sh*t players e.g. Drossena.

We need a better one for Meireles.

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Mike you're only supposed to give sh*t nicknames to sh*t players e.g. Drossena.

We need a better one for Meireles.

I think its a cracking nickname.

I think its a cracking nickname.

You would, your name comes from a drummer in Spinal Tap for gods sake !

Touche

Touche

I just hope we turn it up to eleven against United today.

• Advertisement

I just hope we turn it up to eleven against United today.

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I like the flexibility in that attack but I'm worried about going into this game without Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think of all the things we need today is much more urgency. We'e been so pedestrian so far. You'd almost think we weren't fit!

Yeah there has been a shocking lack of fight and will to win shown so far this season.

Given the fanfare over the new medical team at the club, and all the club talk about their stringent fitness tests etc., if fitness is an issue at this stage, then serious question would be asked of them imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

To the people who are complaining about Maxi, who would you rather see starting today? Jova has been pretty poor for us so far and I wouldn't fancy starting Babel on the wing away to Utd, don't know if he'd put in enough of a defensive shift.

MR NINE wrote: »
    To the people who are complaining about Maxi, who would you rather see starting today? Jova has been pretty poor for us so far and I wouldn't fancy starting Babel on the wing away to Utd, don't know if he'd put in enough of a defensive shift.

Johnson, with Kelly at RB.

Hmmm maybe you are not the best one to talk about usernames. :p

rosco.jpg

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah there has been a shocking lack of fight and will to win shown so far this season.

Given the fanfare over the new medical team at the club, and all the club talk about their stringent fitness tests etc., if fitness is an issue at this stage, then serious question would be asked of them imho.

There would be a school of thought that at this point of the season you wouldn't want to be at peak fitness. Rather be gradually building towards peaking later in the season.

You see many teams who are flying at the start of the season but struggle after Christmas. Just an idea.

Today, adrenalin alone should, should, give us more urgency. Very happy with that team too if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This might be worth a shot

Team for today:

Reina
    Johnson
    Skrtel
    Carragher
    Konchesky

Poulsen
    Meireles

Gerrard
    Maxi
    Cole

Torres

Not bad at all.

Confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Hmmm maybe you are not the best one to talk about usernames. :p

rosco.jpg

Who's that??

Surely the username is because he's a 28 yr old Ross County fan!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Good team for Liverpool, I think Carragher and Konchesky beside eachother could be a weak link for Nani to exploit. I think Carragher is past it and I never rated Konchesky, I was mistified when Liverpool signed him, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

baz2009 wrote: »
    Good team for Liverpool, I think Carragher and Konchesky beside eachother could be a weak link for Nani to exploit. I think Carragher is past it and I never rated Konchesky, I was mistified when Liverpool signed him, tbh.

They bought him coz he's scary looking!

Really? Has Johnson ever played right wing? and Kelly is a very inexperienced youth product and u wanna start him away to Utd?

I think Johnson wouldn't be half the attacking threat he currently is if he played right wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

United: Van Der Sar

O Shea Evans Vidic Evra

Nani Fletch Scholes Giggs

Rooney Berba

monkey9 wrote: »
    Who's that??

Surely the username is because he's a 28 yr old Ross County fan!! :p

That is Rosco P Coltrane;)

O Shea Evans Vidic Evra

Rooney Berba

What I would have expected really. Glad Giggs is starting on the left rather than Park to be honest.

O Shea Evans Vidic Evra

Rooney Berba

Good team. Maybe a little short in the centre of the park. Whether or not Liverpool are good enough to exploit that remains to be seen.

Evans is a weak link there Torres can exploit easily.

O Shea Evans Vidic Evra

Rooney Berba

No Rio? Also surprised to see Giggs in ahead of Park,given the legs that Park would add to midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Really? Has Johnson ever played right wing? and Kelly is a very inexperienced youth product and u wanna start him away to Utd?

I think Johnson wouldn't be half the attacking threat he currently is if he played right wing.
    Kelly is a better defender than Johnson
    Johnson will probably have more effect than Maxi on the wing, even if it won't get the best out of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

mars bar wrote: »
    What I would have expected really. Glad Giggs is starting on the left rather than Park to be honest.

Same here, wasnt really expecting Rio to make it. Park was poor the other night, a rest might be good for him
    Good team. Maybe a little short in the centre of the park. Whether or not Liverpool are good enough to exploit that remains to be seen.

Evans is a weak link there Torres can exploit easily.

This does worry me a bit

Kelly is better defensively than Johnson and he's also a very decent crosser of a ball.

Johnson is better at beating players, crossing the ball, shooting off both feet from distance than Kuyt.

It's a win win situation. We get the best out of Johnson and Kelly. Rather than half of what's good from Johnson and god knows what from Kuyt depending on the day.

And yes I'm aware Kuyt is injured today, I'm talking ideal 11. Maxi wouldn't get close.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    No Rio? Also surprised to see Giggs in ahead of Park,given the legs that Park would add to midfield.

He'd give the legs if he was in the mid of midfield. Not really that impressive on the wing.

It really doesn't surprise me that Rio isn't on the starting XI.

Kelly is a better defender than Johnson
    Johnson will probably have more effect than Maxi on the wing, even if it won't get the best out of him

If its never been tried before, it'd be ludicrous to try it at OT for the first time. It was basically down to either maxi babel or jovanovic and of those three i think maxi is the best choice to start with babel possibly coming on around the hour mark. i agree with the people saying babel needs game time but i dont think today would be a good game for him to start.

I agree Johnson is a bit poor defensively but i still woulnd't like to see him moved to right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rio is ill apparently.

mars bar wrote: »
    He'd give the legs if he was in the mid of midfield. Not really that impressive on the wing.

It really doesn't surprise me that Rio isn't on the starting XI.

I'm actually happier that Giggs is starting ahead of him but surprised that Fergie has picked such an attacking quartet in midfield.

Will still be interesting to see what way they line up. Woludnt be surprised to see Giggs in a three man midfield.

Edit: Rio doesn't make the bench either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Really wasn't looking forward to this match but the lineups have given me a tiny bit of hope - not much though.

There would be a school of thought that at this point of the season you wouldn't want to be at peak fitness. Rather be gradually building towards peaking later in the season.

You see many teams who are flying at the start of the season but struggle after Christmas. Just an idea.

Today, adrenalin alone should, should, give us more urgency. Very happy with that team too if true.

The line up is almost as good as we could put out given the players in the squad right now. I think I would have had Agger in instead of Skrtel though, just to have a ball playing element beside Carragher.

You are right that the team should be up for this game, because if they cannot get up for playing against Man Utd at Old Trafford, then they are playing at the wrong level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wonder if those Rio rumours had any truth to them, seeing as he's left out...

Looking forward to seeing Mereiles, and hopefully Torres can get his mojo back against old pal Vidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Wow our bench is looking a bit weak :( No Park on the bench is a surprise too.

Anyone know who's on the respective benches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

adox wrote: »
    Anyone know who's on the respective benches?

United: Kuszczak, Brown, Smalling, Anderson, Gibson, Owen, Macheda

Pool: Jones, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Lucas, Jovanovic, Babel, Ngog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

This does worry me a bit

Believe
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I don't get when people say we're a bit short in the middle with scholes and fletch, scholes has been unreal so far this season and fletch is fletch, I'd have him in any team in the PL.

Do Utd have an injury crisis, I know who's bench I prefer.

mink_man wrote: »
    I don't get when people say we're a bit short in the middle with scholes and fletch, scholes has been unreal so far this season and fletch is fletch, I'd have him in any team in the PL.

Purely on a numbers basis. Not quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It would be nice to see Anderson today!

No Chico on the bench either :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

mink_man wrote: »

It's the clueless who dub United short in the middle yet nothing about Poulson, Meireles and Gerrard who have been in fantastic club form the last while :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm a ball of nerves/excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Purely on a numbers basis. Not quality.

Or it shows a teams ambition.

Le King wrote: »
    It's the clueless who dub United short in the middle yet nothing about Poulson, Meireles and Gerrard who have been in fantastic club form the last while :rolleyes:

I said they were short in the middle, because United have two there and Liverpool have three. Its simple maths.

Whether or not Liverpool are good enough to exploit that is questionable.

Why the **** are they looking at the table like it means anything?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement