Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Aliens visited this planet?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 4:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭

Its one of those questions. Most of us think there must be something out there but have they visited this planet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

no idea but again, considering the size of the universe, probably not. if they have visited recently, surely the likes of seti would have picked something up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

doubtful. I dont see why God would have needed to put beings on another planet and there is nothing in the bible about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkinTex

Hmmm, SETI only processes a fraction of the whole sky, it's an ongoing search which will never be completed really.

UFO's and abductions stories aside, there is a chance there is something out there. Though improbably, it is possible. Just alot of factors it's depending on.

And as long as it's possible life exists out there, perhaps much older, then the possibility of them paying us a visit exists. Wheter it has happened is another question. It's a popular belief they have paid visits to us in the distant past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Grimes wrote: »
    doubtful. I dont see why God would have needed to put beings on another planet and there is nothing in the bible about it.

sure isnt god an alien? Technically anyway. He probably wanted all life forms to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Ehhh........if there is a "God", and he put the amoeba's into the water here on earth which eventually evolved into humans, surely he would have done the same thing on other planets to see what would happen there also ?

I think we all know the Bible is a story book, written to help those who follow the Catholic faith live by its fundamental teaching of do unto others as you would have done to you.

I'm not surprised it doesn't say "and by the way, Mars was populated billions of years ago, but they becasme greedy and sinful and blew themselves up" !!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

I dont believe it has turned into a debate about god lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

God is an alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Lol

:D

Gotcha

Anyway im no expert on things astrophysical however considering the "astronomical" factors that resulted in life on earth the chances of such factors appearing in an infinite universe are remote but cant be discounted. However the same vastness of the universe would mean the chances of any aliens being advanced enough to find us makes me doubt it, also they havnt made their presence known (in the past 2000 years anyway but I dont buy into all that aliens visted us 4000 years ago rubbish) so thats another reason to doubt the existence of aliens visiting earth negligble imo.

Also Jesus was an alien with super powers and his dad was a DJ. Jobe 3:13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Its one of those questions. Most of us think there must be something out there but have they visited this planet?

I would say more often than we could possibly imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

SkinTex wrote: »
    Hmmm, SETI only processes a fraction of the whole sky, it's an ongoing search which will never be completed really.

UFO's and abductions stories aside, there is a chance there is something out there. Though improbably, it is possible. Just alot of factors it's depending on.

And as long as it's possible life exists out there, perhaps much older, then the possibility of them paying us a visit exists. Wheter it has happened is another question. It's a popular belief they have paid visits to us in the distant past.
    SETI are a privately funded non-governmental organisation, they wouldn't know if there was a butterfly blocking one of their dishes unless 'the people in the know' wanted them to.

With regard to alien life visiting Earth, its a tough one and its a question that is really down to each individual themselves, if there willing to let go of everything they've been told about space and the universe since a young age then maybe they might be pleasantly surprised at what could be out there or maybe not!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I doubt it. Firstly because of the vast distances between stars. Speed of light can't be broken and even if you travel close to the speed of light you have the problem of time dilation. Not practical.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I doubt it. Firstly because of the vast distances between stars. Speed of light can't be broken and even if you travel close to the speed of light you have the problem of time dilation. Not practical.

Lol the speed of light can't be broken as far as you know, but what about

many galaxies away who can tell ??

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Have a look at this video (interview with Ben Rich), could change your perspective on how you understand the way physics works!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

cliff notes?...please...

It is going to be a very interesting next few decades on earth. Regards our natural resources and if we make any contact known to the human race, not just the governments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They're out there, but they haven't visited. Dunno whether it would be impossible or trivial for an advanced race to make it's way to Earth from a distant planet, I'll leave that for the astronomers to debate. But if they were here before (or they're regularly returning, as alien enthusiasts would have us believe), then there'd be better evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

Are aliens paranormal?

They aren't super natural, they would surely be in science, or politics, why in the ghost forum, unless they are dead aliens? Maybe the spaceship crashed.

What form of propulsion would they use? Would this be suitable for the engineering forum, or aircraft?

Unless the aliens bring their tarot cards with them, would the cards be made of paper or a synthetic more lightweight material suitable to space travel?

I think that the odds are low that a planet with a finite lifespan in a practically infinite universe would be visited by other alien life.

Are aliens paranormal?

They aren't super natural, they would surely be in science, or politics, why in the ghost forum, unless they are dead aliens? Maybe the spaceship crashed.

What form of propulsion would they use? Would this be suitable for the engineering forum, or aircraft?

Unless the aliens bring their tarot cards with them, would the cards be made of paper or a synthetic more lightweight material suitable to space travel?

I think that the odds are low that a planet with a finite lifespan in a practically infinite universe would be visited by other alien life.

But your thinking with the human mind and that's all you know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There's UFO's all over the place. The might visit but we probably won't ever know TBH.

There's UFO's all over the place. The might visit but we probably won't ever know TBH.

100% Correct.

• Advertisement

Are aliens paranormal?

Paranormal = "Beyond the range of normal experience or scientific explanation"

Ziycon wrote: »
    Paranormal = "Beyond the range of normal experience or scientific explanation"

Aliens are scientific, beyond normal experience could be sex to a virgin, but they wouldn't call sex paranormal!

Aliens are scientific, beyond normal experience could be sex to a virgin, but they wouldn't call sex paranormal!
    Heres the oxford dictionary definition, if you have a problem with it take it up with them. ;)
    denoting events or phenomena such as telekinesis or clairvoyance that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding:a mystic who can prove he has paranormal powers (as noun the paranormal) an investigator of the paranormal

Ziycon wrote: »
    Heres the oxford dictionary definition, if you have a problem with it take it up with them. ;)

Proves my point doesn't it? Aliens aren't paranormal by that very definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I believe aliens exist somewhere in the universe - because the universe is just so big that there has to be some form of intelligent life somewhere else..

However I doubt aliens have or ever will visit this planet due to the huge size of the universe... Unless our rules of physics aren't accurate and it is in fact possible to travel fast than the speed of light or use warp holes or something like we see in star trek or something we won't ever experience this intelligent life...

The universe is just too big and humans will be extinct in another several thousand years be it because of a natural disaster or a man made disaster so we will never get the chance to develop the technology required to travel such distances I don't think... I believe that the same problems would face any other planet with intelligent life - they would only survive for several thousand years before becoming extinct..

after all how many planets are in the universe - and what's the odds of picking out the couple planets that have intelligent life in the first place - never mind being able to get there...

Proves my point doesn't it? Aliens aren't paranormal by that very definition.
    Nope... We don't know what they are, whether there an idea in peoples heads or a physical phenomena hence why we can't explain them by our current understanding of science.
    beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I believe aliens exist somewhere in the universe - because the universe is just so big that there has to be some form of intelligent life somewhere else..

However I doubt aliens have or ever will visit this planet due to the huge size of the universe... Unless our rules of physics aren't accurate and it is in fact possible to travel fast than the speed of light or use warp holes or something like we see in star trek or something we won't ever experience this intelligent life...

The universe is just too big and humans will be extinct in another several thousand years be it because of a natural disaster or a man made disaster so we will never get the chance to develop the technology required to travel such distances I don't think... I believe that the same problems would face any other planet with intelligent life - they would only survive for several thousand years before becoming extinct..

after all how many planets are in the universe - and what's the odds of picking out the couple planets that have intelligent life in the first place - never mind being able to get there...

Why is it too big? What is your rational for that, human life span? Current technology?

johnmcdnl wrote: »

You have to take into account that everything we know about space is all channelled through government or government controlled organisations so essentially what we know about space is what 'we're allowed' know, the real picture could be a hell of a lot different to what we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rebdot

• Advertisement

Rebdot wrote: »

Id love a picnic.

Advertisement