Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat issue

Options
  • 13-09-2010 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

hey guys

wondering if you can advice. my bf parents have a cat and id say she is 9-10 years old. the cat is very clean and well taken care of. lately its been wiping herself in the carpet after she goes, i am a dog owner so i am aware that dogs do this to clean themselves sometimes. but with this cat she has never done this before and now it seems its everytime she goes

could something be wrong with her? i taught cats where clean animals? its just out of character for this cat as i said 9-10 years old, never done this

can someone advise if this is even normal for a cat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

She could have impacted anal glands. She needs a trip to the vet to have them squeezed. If your folks feed her mostly wet food, they could try a couple of spoons of something like minced up chicken carcass to try and make her stools solid, so they naturally squeeze out the glands on their way out. (Charming, eh?)

Ignored, an impacted anal gland can cause an abscess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

jjjade wrote: »
    hey guys

wondering if you can advice. my bf parents have a cat and id say she is 9-10 years old. the cat is very clean and well taken care of. lately its been wiping herself in the carpet after she goes, i am a dog owner so i am aware that dogs do this to clean themselves sometimes. but with this cat she has never done this before and now it seems its everytime she goes

could something be wrong with her? i taught cats where clean animals? its just out of character for this cat as i said 9-10 years old, never done this

can someone advise if this is even normal for a cat?

Nope, not normal, and there could be several reasons.
    She could have got worms, which can make her bum itchy.
    She could have something else which causes her behind to itch or feel incomfortable.
    If she's a long-haired cat, she might have problems cleaning this particular area.

I think the best bet is a trip to the vet to find out what is causing her discomfort, because I would most certainly think that it's some kind of discomfort causing this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

have my cat 17 years and that is Worms, seen it plenty of times.

Don't know where you are from, but Carroll's chemist in waterford has a Animal section containing Worm Tabs, get them there myself. If you have more than one cat, or even dogs, make sure there all wormed at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Because of the age of the cat, my bets would be on anal gland problems. As dogs and cats get older their glands don't clear themselves as well as they did when they were young and they sometimes need attention. Often, it's just a matter of getting them drained at the vets every so often. Increasing the fibre content in the animals diet can really help with getting their glands to drain on their own (ie. when they go to the toilet).

If you are worried about worms, once it gets to the itchy bum stage you will often be able to see little white flecks on the cats bum (these are worm eggs) but not always. A simple worm dose will get rid of it if this is the problem.

Have a look at the cats bum to make sure there is no matting or anything caught in her bum that could irritate her because this could be the reason for the scooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

hey guys thank you for the suggestions. we already gave her worm tablets last week when it started no joy!!!

someone mentioned the gland thing to my boyfriend who i think will bring her to the vet to get her checked.

wish us luck getting her into the cage!!!!!! any suggestions lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

jjjade wrote: »
    hey guys thank you for the suggestions. we already gave her worm tablets last week when it started no joy!!!

someone mentioned the gland thing to my boyfriend who i think will bring her to the vet to get her checked.

wish us luck getting her into the cage!!!!!! any suggestions lol

Thick jumper, really thick gloves... and be quick. That's the only way I'll get mine into the carrier, she's on to me when I try the "trail of treats" trick.

Advertisement