Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Rat

• 13-09-2010 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago I saw a white rat on the road, then yesterday I found him dead in a field. Are these common in the wild? I was thinking it was a pet that was dumped.

About a week ago I saw my first Red Squirrel, it was only about 2 miles outside Cork city. Are these still in decline?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

eoccork wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I saw a white rat on the road, then yesterday I found him dead in a field. Are these common in the wild? I was thinking it was a pet that was dumped.

About a week ago I saw my first Red Squirrel, it was only about 2 miles outside Cork city. Are these still in decline?

I think you were probably right - the odds of a dumped/escaped pet seems to make sense, especially as it seems to have been unable to fend for itself.

I think a Red Squirrel sighting in Cork is a rare thing, but can't comment with any authority. You should report it to http://www.biology.ie

That site shows a couple of sightings east of Cork city

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭travelguru

ya ive only ever seen a white rat in a pet store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

LostCovey wrote: »
    I think you were probably right - the odds of a dumped/escaped pet seems to make sense, especially as it seems to have been unable to fend for itself.

I think a Red Squirrel sighting in Cork is a rare thing, but can't comment with any authority. You should report it to http://www.biology.ie

That site shows a couple of sightings east of Cork city

LostCovey

why so, i often see them around north cork

jap gt wrote: »
    why so, i often see them around north cork

I understood they were under pressure from Greys, and getting scarce, but as I said, that had no authority! I was going on the distribution map on biology.ie which had very few reports from anywhere in Munster.

Fair play, nothing to beat local knowledge, thanks for putting me right.

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

LostCovey wrote: »
    I understood they were under pressure from Greys, and getting scarce, but as I said, that had no authority! I was going on the distribution map on biology.ie which had very few reports from anywhere in Munster.

Fair play, nothing to beat local knowledge, thanks for putting me right.

LC

i never saw a grey around here thats not to say they arent here though, im no expert either put i spot a lot of animals when out walking the dog

• Advertisement

jap gt wrote: »
    i never saw a grey around here thats not to say they arent here though, im no expert either put i spot a lot of animals when out walking the dog

That's good news. I thought they were pretty much everywhere east of the Shannon.

Advertisement